Sponsored

2018 GT PP1 Oil Consumption

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
Hey Guys,

A month ago I took delivery of a 2018 GT PP1 with the MT-82... six speed manual. It was used and had 7,000 original miles on it. The CarFax was completely clean on this car. It had one owner who "traded it in for a work vehicle." The car had routine maintenance at 5,000 miles with an oil change of course and it showed no issues at that time. When the car was traded in at the dealership, it looks like they may have changed the oil in it a second time.

When I took the car home it had 7,200 miles on it and 95% oil remaining. I have driven it 800 miles in a month of ownership, (it's not my daily driver). I have 87% oil remaining. It's dropped 2% in the last 50 miles of driving it. Should I be concerned? I leased an EcoBoost Mustang for 3 years and the oil consumption never concerned me. Obviously this has twice the motor and a completely different setup... so I'm not sure if I should be worried or not?

I absolutely love this car and it performs great, it doesn't leak anything, there's no weird smells or anything like that. It seems fine.

Do you guys think it's burning too much oil or not? I just don't know any better yet. I don't drive the car that hard, but of course I get on the loud pedal from time to time... especially merging onto the freeway twice every trip on it. I will change the oil in this car every 5,000 miles like I did on my EcoBoost Mustang regardless of anything.

Thanks and looking forward to any feedback!
Sponsored

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Hey Guys,

A month ago I took delivery of a 2018 GT PP1 with the MT-82... six speed manual. It was used and had 7,000 original miles on it. The CarFax was completely clean on this car. It had one owner who "traded it in for a work vehicle." The car had routine maintenance at 5,000 miles with an oil change of course and it showed no issues at that time. When the car was traded in at the dealership, it looks like they may have changed the oil in it a second time.

When I took the car home it had 7,200 miles on it and 95% oil remaining. I have driven it 800 miles in a month of ownership, (it's not my daily driver). I have 87% oil remaining. It's dropped 2% in the last 50 miles of driving it. Should I be concerned? I leased an EcoBoost Mustang for 3 years and the oil consumption never concerned me. Obviously this has twice the motor and a completely different setup... so I'm not sure if I should be worried or not?

I absolutely love this car and it performs great, it doesn't leak anything, there's no weird smells or anything like that. It seems fine.

Do you guys think it's burning too much oil or not? I just don't know any better yet. I don't drive the car that hard, but of course I get on the loud pedal from time to time... especially merging onto the freeway twice every trip on it. I will change the oil in this car every 5,000 miles like I did on my EcoBoost Mustang regardless of anything.

Thanks and looking forward to any feedback!
If you are looking at oil life % calculation, don't mistake it for oil remaining. Have you checked the dipstick itself?

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, please pardon me for being an idiot.... I just have never done this stuff before. I went onto Youtube and located the area where I thought the dip stick was at, with this yellow tab and I pulled it out. Cleaned up the dip stick and put it back in to get an accurate read on how much oil there was. When I pulled it out, there was hardly any light brown substance on it. These pictures are terrible so they won't help much, but it basically stops just past that whole on our left. What do you guys think?

unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
The manual says to check the oil 15 minutes after the car has been shut off once it has reached temp.

So when you get home from a trip wait 15 minutes and go check it. If it is below that lower hole add oil to get it over that hole. Keep a check on things and monitor how much you add in between oil changes. It's a high revving V8. It isn't unusual for some oil consumption between changes especially if you are going to do 5k intervals. A quart around 3k wouldn't be insane.

I've had mine a bit over a year and I do oil changes every 6 months regardless of miles (always well below 5k). It's a relatively cheap thing to do and I can't imagine it hurting things. If you are going out to 5k check oil often.

Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
IDK to me it looks like your oil level is in between the 2 holes, where it should be. The oil is clean. It was definitely changed recently. As far as the oil monitor, the percentage goes down regardless of usage. It might go down more if you rack up miles but either way, it will turn on within a year after being reset. I put 3000 miles on my GT last year and it came on a year after I reset it at an oil change.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Looks like there is an oil on it and it's fresh therefore kinda hard to figure out the level - it will only show accurately on one side of the dipstick, there will be a line that you should be able to spot. Other side will have oil spread all over it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
When I took the car home it had 7,200 miles on it and 95% oil remaining. I have driven it 800 miles in a month of ownership, (it's not my daily driver). I have 87% oil remaining. It's dropped 2% in the last 50 miles of driving it.
FYI ... the Oil Life Monitor (OLM) on these cars counts down 2% a week even if the car is never started. It does that because Ford wants people to change oil once per year even if the car is never driven. I pretty much ignore the OLM on my GT and change it on my own terms.

As already mentioned, the OLM has nothing to do with "oil consumption", but rather oil "health/remaining life".

I took your dipstick photo and changed the properties to try and get a better look at it. You might try to verify if the oil level is at where I've drawn the red arrow. If so, it's too full. The level should ideally be at the top hole, and never go below the bottom hole (blue arrows).

S550 Oil Level.jpg

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI ... the Oil Life Monitor (OLM) on these cars counts down 2% a week even if the car is never started. It does that because Ford wants people to change oil once per year even if the car is never driven. I pretty much ignore the OLM on my GT and change it on my own terms.

As already mentioned, the OLM has nothing to do with "oil consumption", but rather oil "health/remaining life".

I took your dipstick photo and changed the properties to try and get a better look at it. You might try to verify if the oil level is at where I've drawn the red arrow. If so, it's too full. The level should ideally be at the top hole, and never go below the bottom hole (blue arrows).

S550 Oil Level.jpg
First off thank you everyone for the replies. I’ve already learned a lot about a system I really didn’t know much about!

I can tell you the oil did not go past that second whole on the left side. What you’re seeing there is just a shiny reflection off some light. I can promise you it’s not over filled.

So best case would be the oil being at the top of that hole? I’ll have to try again after driving the car next time for a more accurate reading on it!

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I prefer to check mine with the engine cold despite what the manual says as I have a hard time seeing it sometimes when its hot. OP make sure you take the reading on the side of the dipstick with hash marks on it to get an accurate reading. Also if you are going to check it cold like I do then the top of the hash marks is full in the cold condition whereas the top hole (left in the pic) is for when the oil is hot due to some expansion. Full cold should be where the yellow arrow is pointing in my attached pic. At the very least it may give you a better idea where you really are right now. it seems like you may be fine already.

I just checked mine cold and it is dead on where the arrow is my pic. Sorry for the crappy pic no my dipstick doesn't look like its all beat up in that pic LOL

dip.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Call me crazy, but I drove my car for about 30 min today and then let it sit for about an hour. I was going to go check the oil and that engine bay was way too hot for me to jump in there and check the dipstick. I could probably do it, but I was going to risk burning my hands to do it. I’ll have to try it later when it’s cold again.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
It really isn't that hot. Yes it seems like it but it isn't. If you have a strut tower brace that will get in the way but it is certainly do-able. If you touch anything hot it will let you know but it isn't the end of the world...trust me I do it all the time. It will be hot but it hasn't left any marks,

If you want to prop the hood up it should cool down a bit faster.

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It really isn't that hot. Yes it seems like it but it isn't. If you have a strut tower brace that will get in the way but it is certainly do-able. If you touch anything hot it will let you know but it isn't the end of the world...trust me I do it all the time. It will be hot but it hasn't left any marks,

If you want to prop the hood up it should cool down a bit faster.
I took your advice and went for it. I can’t take a good picture to save my life but it’s well past the first hole and seeping towards to the top hole so I think it’s pretty decent!
F47A44D0-60A4-41EE-8F75-D13BCA555A9B.jpeg

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Usually you can twist the stick while looking at it under a light and see exactly where your oil level is since you will get oil on the stick as you pull it in and out. Hence why its hard for us to tell exactly where it is with a picture
Sponsored