Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Uploaded a video of mine when cold.
My Mustang GT Diesel (lol)

That's how mine sounded, replaced long block.
Tell me this sounds normal....

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
geesh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
18guy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT auto
Mine has the bbq tick on cold start I already got 10500 on it and the tick started at around 8k the only thing that bothers me is the smell after I punch it smells like burning oil lol

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Just drove four hours all highway, when I finally stopped and was driving around town, I had the rattle like I’ve never had before. Prior to this, I only had the rattle in sport mode above 2500 RPM. After this drive, I had it from 1500 or up in regular drive mode. Thing is, car is running fine no issues. I’m convinced that this engine is just a noisy engine. Our expectations are just very high, we expect quiet performance. I think we’re all just gonna have to live with the fact that this engine is noisy.

Last edited:

Luke5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Just drove four hours all highway, when I finally stopped and was driving around town, I had the rattle like I’ve never had before. Prior to this, I only had the rattle in sport mode above 2500 RPM. After this drive, I had it from 1500 or up in regular drive mode. Thing is, car is running fine no issues. I’m convinced that this engine is just a noisy engine. Our expectations are just very high, we expect quiet performance. I think we’re all just gonna have to live with the fact that this engine is noisy.
Agreed. After all, we do have warranty if needed. I believe I have the rattle but I'm gonna continue driving it till it dies or I trade in for something else in the coming years.

Retroman1969

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
It’s not just a noisy engine. I’m sorry, but that’s just wishful thinking. Ford desperately wants us to believe it’s normal. There are thousands of people that have had engine damage or even failed engines due to these noises.
Here’s the damage on mine after only 3,400 miles:
FD0DD84E-6F5A-40F0-8D7F-1C050E324B20.jpeg
A0C619D4-DCAE-4C3F-823E-CADCB632ACAD.jpeg
A700D6F7-6776-497C-88EC-3EBAEA34B801.jpeg
436AEE06-CC0B-4F85-B716-728E8B93A48D.jpeg
C662167B-0E62-4873-AC38-9B56F0A845B2.jpeg

The dealership, after swearing on several visits that they either don’t hear the noise or that it’s perfectly normal, finally came and picked up the car after seeing these boroscope photos.
I’m pushing for a buyback.

I’ve owned several modern complicated engines from Porsche and Mercedes AMG, with close to 200,000 miles on a couple of them with no noise or issues.
I wish this wasn’t the case and I feel awful for anyone that is having to deal with this issue. I wish everyone best of luck.

Last edited:

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Agreed. After all, we do have warranty if needed. I believe I have the rattle but I'm gonna continue driving it till it dies or I trade in for something else in the coming years.
I think the biggest selling point of the Mustang vs other platforms like the Camaro and especially Dodge's 6.4 hemi lineup is the myriad of mods that are easily available. People don't buy these cars to leave them stock. Most "performance" intake manufacturers need a tune because of the difference in MAF area diameter. People expect that these engines are reliable enough to give a basic tune to support some mods. Yes, tuning will void the warranty, so why start with a crappy platform if you can avoid being out ~8k in engine replacement costs? I doubt anyone would do that if they knew the risks beforehand. If I go to my dealership right now, do you think they'll let me know "oh by the way, here's a new SSM from Ford which states that your engine will make horrible noises and it's totally fine."? I don't think so. They're gonna sell it as an extremely reliable platform (which it honestly used to be).

Not gonna say that other cars don't have issues, but go look on their forums and try to find pictures of cylinders looking like that all over their issues pages.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Man, I got no time for borescopes, trips to dealer, buyback, etc. Got the 100k warranty - I’m just gonna drive it until it dies. I just hope it doesn’t get loud and sound shitty but still run properly. If that happens I’ll consider selling it and moving on from Ford. Hopefully that won’t happen cause I love Mustangs. But I’m too old to obsess this stuff – I’ll just deal with it if and when it happens.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It’s not just a noisy engine. I’m sorry, but that’s just wishful thinking. Ford desperately wants us to believe it’s normal. There are thousands of people that have had engine damage or even failed engines due to these noises.
Here’s the damage on mine after only 3,400 miles:
FD0DD84E-6F5A-40F0-8D7F-1C050E324B20.jpeg
A0C619D4-DCAE-4C3F-823E-CADCB632ACAD.jpeg
A700D6F7-6776-497C-88EC-3EBAEA34B801.jpeg
436AEE06-CC0B-4F85-B716-728E8B93A48D.jpeg
C662167B-0E62-4873-AC38-9B56F0A845B2.jpeg

The dealership, after swearing on several visits that they either don’t hear the noise or that it’s perfectly normal, finally came and picked up the car after seeing these boroscope photos.
I’m pushing for a buyback.

I’ve owned several modern complicated engines from Porsche and Mercedes AMG, with close to 200,000 miles on a couple of them with no noise or issues.
I wish this wasn’t the case and I feel awful for anyone that is having to deal with this issue. I wish everyone best of luck.
Yup, the people who think that these engines are just noisy or that the 2k rattle is drive-line noise are in denial. At this point there are dozens of well documented cases of owners with only the 2k rattle as a symptom discovering substantial amount of internal wear and damage during the short/long block warranty swaps. Unfortunately for everyone else, it seems like Ford has stopped approving engine replacements based on engine noise alone. The most current owners may get is a copy of the BBQ tick SSM. Warranty or not, I wouldn't want to get stuck with a grenade like this beyond the buy back window.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
If I go to my dealership right now, do you think they'll let me know "oh by the way, here's a new SSM from Ford which states that your engine will make horrible noises and it's totally fine."? I don't think so.
Ford did that with the BBQ ticking noise. Wouldn't surprise me if the also do it for the 2K rattle at some point.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Ford did that with the BBQ ticking noise. Wouldn't surprise me if the also do it for the 2K rattle at some point.
Yea I know the SSM exists, I'm saying that the dealer will not let me know about it until I bring it back and they shove that paper in my face. Who in their right mind would buy one of these cars when someone shows them what it can sound like after the 1st oil change?

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I continue to flip flop on this.

At this point I'm off the panic wagon. If it blows it blows there is a warranty. If it feels down on power or starts to drink oil I'll take it in. Does anyone want a vehicle they can't drive or has to have a major engine overhaul? Nope.

There's 8k/125k for mine to blow up. By the time it is out of warranty it'll be worth next to nothing in reality. So I'm not overly concerned with it. If I bought a car to stay in the family for generations to come perhaps it would matter. That isn't the role of this car unless we hit 1972-ish car offerings in the future.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
I still say for the majority it's a fuel system noise. Sure there have been engine replacements but not "thousands" as someone claimed. Replacing engines is no unique to any car manufacturer.

I've got the 2k rattle and it sure acts like fuel system. You can get it in the middle of the rattle range and hold your foot at the same speed, go up an incline and the engine RPM will drop and it still rattles until it gets out of the range. Go down and same thing until it gets out of the range. If it were engine I'd think it would change as the load changes. If it's more than that or you have other odd noises it's something to have looked at.
Sponsored