Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
This is the cylinder of a 2018 I saw that was torn down at the dealer, not sure how bad this would be considered

rTmhvJU.jpg

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
So after 500km with my new engine, i heared today some rattle @1500rpm again. When the enigine is hot, there is no rattle.
I*m a little bit scared, will it be more worse and get the second engine?

I'm sad and angry!!!!!!
Ive decided at this point its just the nature of these engines, I just wish ford would release a statement saying that. Try some ceratec it seemed to help mine a bit. Im glad I didnt get mine replaced because ive heard of people going through 3 different shortblocks and they all still made the tap.

Paddy_0511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EU GT 5.0
Yes, but its right that they found some damages on the cylinder walls, correct? So for me it sounds, everyone with rattle(1500rpm) has a damage? Or, the damage has no impact for the engine, i dont know.
I wish a statement, but Ford is silence:(

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yes, but its right that they found some damages on the cylinder walls, correct? So for me it sounds, everyone with rattle(1500rpm) has a damage? Or, the damage has no impact for the engine, i dont know.
I think it's also very important to remember that we are a crowd of people driving a car that's going to get beaten within an inch of its life on a fairly regular basis. Thus, the importance of the best oil and gas you have access to.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It seems more likely that the scoring isn't really scoring. Could be material left behind from the rings. It is really hard to tell much with pictures here. You would need a clear magnified image to see much.

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
It seems more likely that the scoring isn't really scoring. Could be material left behind from the rings. It is really hard to tell much with pictures here. You would need a clear magnified image to see much.
i am smiling and I agree with you bootlegger. some members here are acting ...lets say, different. they are talking bs in the forums , knowing nothing else than we all know, trying to justify their decitions of changing the motor and complain all the time. they show pictures about cylinder scoring where you can not see anything. or telling stories what some secret technicians with no name told them about the problem with the coyote engine. annoying .

Last edited:

LakerStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So dropped off my car Thursday for my engine tick and my hard shifting 10r80 and they are finding nothing wrong.

We couldn’t replicate it. They wanted me to take a road test with the tech tomorrow. Maybe you should have done that when I dropped the car off or listened to me when I explained the problem. I said I don’t have time to deal with this bs and will be picking up the car today.

I gave them Gotham’s notes to replicate the sound and they clearly didn’t not read it. I even emailed them the numerous videos. Tower Ford in Great Neck, NY had been an awful experience from the start of purchase to now. Will prob take it to another dealership when I gather up enough patience to deal with this again.

Also getting my oil changed let’s see if they don’t screw it up and put 8 quarts instead of 10 even though I mentioned it numerous times to them.

Sorry for the rant it’s just frustrating to deal with this with a brand new car and get the run around.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
i am smiling and I agree with you bootlegger. some members here are acting ...lets say, different. they are talking bs in the forums , knowing nothing else than we all know, trying to justify their decitions of changing the motor and complain all the time. they show pictures about cylinder scoring where you can not see anything. or telling stories what some secret technicians with no name told them about the problem with the coyote engine. annoying .
Technicians are only as good as their experience and training. This is a completely new spray in liner. I think it is fair to say that few techs will know much about its hardness and typical wear. The rings are soft metal in comparison. Even the pistons are softer. While one would expect the lubricating oil to create a proper boundary layer, it wouldn't be unheard of if some piston or ring material was left behind during break in. Don't get me wrong, there are a few legitimate replacements on here. A few guys had metal shavings in their oil. A couple had a thrown rod. I do believe the majority of replacements are for questionable reasons. Clean oil, normal power, no CELs, and good cylinder pressure all mean you shouldn't need a new engine.

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
So dropped off my car Thursday for my engine tick and my hard shifting 10r80 and they are finding nothing wrong.

We couldn’t replicate it. They wanted me to take a road test with the tech tomorrow. Maybe you should have done that when I dropped the car off or listened to me when I explained the problem. I said I don’t have time to deal with this bs and will be picking up the car today.

I gave them Gotham’s notes to replicate the sound and they clearly didn’t not read it. I even emailed them the numerous videos. Tower Ford in Great Neck, NY had been an awful experience from the start of purchase to now. Will prob take it to another dealership when I gather up enough patience to deal with this again.

Also getting my oil changed let’s see if they don’t screw it up and put 8 quarts instead of 10 even though I mentioned it numerous times to them.

Sorry for the rant it’s just frustrating to deal with this with a brand new car and get the run around.
I hear good things about Levittown.. Not to far from you either..

Paddy_0511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EU GT 5.0
So, after 900km with my new engine, the rattle between 1500rpm/2000rpm is back. Not so strong but i can it hear.
What should i do?
Is it probably normal?
Second new engine?
Sponsored