Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
the thing is 55% are the same length aka "the tappers" and 45% arent. therefore maybe the ones not tapping are the broken ones. /einstein

maybe people should bring their cars to the dealer and complain about them not tapping like normal 2018+ GT's and see what they say.
LOL I want this repaired Ford, my car isn't tapping and rattling like the others, something isn't right here, I'm not happy, how do I start a buy back?
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Not necessarily. If a small knock is being caused by timing detonation, then it could sound just like a mechanical issue. The impact of metal components from an improper detonation vs. an actual bad bearing or piston can sound identical. That impact is still, metal to metal impact. The source may be different though. My point, is that Ceratec is covering up whatever is causing that impact, and trying to do its best to prevent further wear. Whether it succeeds or not remains to be seen. In my case, I have seen ZERO evidence in my oil filter and straining to indicate damage, yet the tick continues. Why would there even be a tick if there is not metal particles in the oil to indicate a mechanical issue? The only other answer, would be a slight timing issue like what 50hsilver had from a bad cam sensor, causing his tick.

For all I know, this whole bloody thing could be caused by a programming problem in the ECU.
If the rods were slapping the side of the crank journals because of too much rod side play then there probably wouldn't be any metal debris from that. If bad timing is causing the rods to smash sideways into the crankshaft then maybe that's what's going on.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-excessive-is-this-rod.108361/

You should have the dealer do a full diagnostic scan on your car and see if there are any issues that show up.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Not necessarily. If a small knock is being caused by timing detonation, then it could sound just like a mechanical issue. The impact of metal components from an improper detonation vs. an actual bad bearing or piston can sound identical. That impact is still, metal to metal impact. The source may be different though. My point, is that Ceratec is covering up whatever is causing that impact, and trying to do its best to prevent further wear. Whether it succeeds or not remains to be seen. In my case, I have seen ZERO evidence in my oil filter and straining to indicate damage, yet the tick continues. Why would there even be a tick if there is not metal particles in the oil to indicate a mechanical issue? The only other answer, would be a slight timing issue like what 50hsilver had from a bad cam sensor, causing his tick.

For all I know, this whole bloody thing could be caused by a programming problem in the ECU.
Many have datalogged with the tick and the rattle, yet never seen any knock counts.

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT

After the cam sensor replacement my tick did disappear. Completely. Although my car is still at the dealer, this time with check engine lights for misfires, cam sensors, and crank sensors all failing. So I wouldn't yet put faith in that as the "be all, fix all" for the tick. With that said if other members having the tick can replicate the success I had with the cam sensor resolving the issue, then maybe there is something to it. I couldn't tell you if the tick is still gone or not because the car currently wont run... :crying:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After the cam sensor replacement my tick did disappear. Completely. Although my car is still at the dealer, this time with check engine lights for misfires, cam sensors, and crank sensors all failing. So I wouldn't yet put faith in that as the "be all, fix all" for the tick. With that said if other members having the tick can replicate the success I had with the cam sensor resolving the issue, then maybe there is something to it. I couldn't tell you if the tick is still gone or not because the car currently wont run... :crying:
With that many sensors going all at once, I have a sneaky suspicion your ECU is bad. Possibly even bad diodes in your alternator that is sending bad power to everything causing failures. Think of all those sensors as peripheries of a computer (ECU). If they are getting unclean power, those sensitive sensors and other electronic components will fry quite easily.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I heard a tick on Saturday. I have had the 2k rpm rattle for over 1k miles, but this is the first time I have heard a tick. it was very faint though. Car still runs great, so I am not sure if I will do anything yet.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
With that many sensors going all at once, I have a sneaky suspicion your ECU is bad. Possibly even bad diodes in your alternator that is sending bad power to everything causing failures. Think of all those sensors as peripheries of a computer (ECU). If they are getting unclean power, those sensitive sensors and other electronic components will fry quite easily.
I had the "dirty alternator" screwing with the CPS on my 2003. I put a scope on the CPS and could see all the noise. Replaced the alternator and the P0340 disappeared.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I tried ceratec and it seems to have actually worked for the tapping at idle. I only put in half a bottle but the full dose would be 2 bottles for 10qt. I uploaded a video of a cold start after adding the half bottle ceratec and it didnt tap at idle but it made a weird noise when I revved it and let off while cold.

Cold start before ceratec tapping at idle started about 1 min in :

Cold start after adding half bottle ceratec - check out 1 min in, no tap:

anyone know what that weird flutter noise is though when the revs are dropping on the post ceratec vid?

Overall I think after adding ceratec it sounds better. I added some more too since I only had added half a bottle for the video and nothing bad happened.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That motor does not sound good in either video, I would cut open the filter and inspect. I believe the noise you are hearing in the second video still resembles the tick but a different pitch with the ceratec.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine does the same thing. It had the tick already, but started that flutter sound when I got my clutch replaced. However, if I depress the clutch and blip rev the car, it doesn't have the flutter sound. At first, because it only happens when I let the clutch out, I thought it was the new clutch rattling a bit, but some guys say they have the same sound with an automatic. So, I have no idea.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Mine does the same thing. It had the tick already, but started that flutter sound when I got my clutch replaced. However, if I depress the clutch and blip rev the car, it doesn't have the flutter sound. At first, because it only happens when I let the clutch out, I thought it was the new clutch rattling a bit, but some guys say they have the same sound with an automatic. So, I have no idea.
yea mine is an auto. not really sure what could cause that flutter sound but it doesnt sound good. I added a bit more ceratec and gave it a few italian tune ups, will check tomorrow and possibly add the rest of the ceratec bottle. The tapping at idle is almost completely eliminated though. Next oil change I will do 5w30 and ceratec.

Car definitely runs great while warm though, and is silent when warm.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
anyone know what that weird flutter noise is though when the revs are dropping on the post ceratec vid?
That's actually very interesting noise. It has the same nature/source as the tick, but not correlated to engine speed.

What could emit such noise? Knowledgeable mechanic might be able to guess what this is. I'd say not rod bearing and not the piston. Like a freewhel on a roadbike. Or engine starter.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That's actually very interesting noise. It has the same nature/source as the tick, but not correlated to engine speed.

What could emit such noise? Knowledgeable mechanic might be able to guess what this is. I'd say not rod bearing and not the piston. Like a freewhel on a roadbike. Or engine starter.
I found the cause. It's either this guy or Aliens, cuz I'm all out of ideas.

neca-ultimate-stripe.png

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
I tried ceratec and it seems to have actually worked for the tapping at idle. I only put in half a bottle but the full dose would be 2 bottles for 10qt. I uploaded a video of a cold start after adding the half bottle ceratec and it didnt tap at idle but it made a weird noise when I revved it and let off while cold.

Cold start before ceratec tapping at idle started about 1 min in :

Cold start after adding half bottle ceratec - check out 1 min in, no tap:

Overall I think after adding ceratec it sounds better. I added some more too since I only had added half a bottle for the video and nothing bad happened.

I have just the same " flutter" since it was new. also i had the bbq tick. i also used ceratech some 2000km ago and the tick is gone. the flatter is still there. loud when cold , a bit better when warm. so many have it . i start to believe, that theese sounds are normal because all the cars with the curious noises are running well.

2018S550GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That's the same thing mine is doing - added a bottle of Ceratec and the ticking at idle is gone, but the "flutter" noise is still there.
Sponsored