Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
I had to do it guy's,I was losing my shit over the problems with the Mustang. The rattle , the shift forks, the transmission, i was literally upset driving it everytime!!...lol. I couldn't do it anymore,I was going nuts.
Sponsored

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
Yup, traded in the Mustang.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
You are literally Hitler right now :lol:

I just saw a red camaro that looked super nice. Not sure what it is but the newer ones look nice. I think ill be going to dodge though. I hear they have this thing called a hellcat. You may have heard of it. :thumbsup:

Or i might just get a beater car and buy more guns and video games:shrug:
Hellcat FTW, until it blows up.....;) lol@ beater + more guns and vids! If i didnt have negative equity on the Stang, i was so fed up i was going to sell it and drive my winter beater(01 saturn SL1).

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I had to do it guy's,I was losing my shit over the problems with the Mustang. The rattle , the shift forks, the transmission, i was literally upset driving it everytime!!...lol. I couldn't do it anymore,I was going nuts.
Love the Camaro! For sure you have to drive what makes you happy.

That's why I got the Ram. I can go fast when I want to, but also drive slow as shit and make other people go around me if I want to LOL. Somehow it is easier to merge into traffic LOL...

Sponsored

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
You are literally Hitler right now :lol:

I just saw a red camaro that looked super nice. Not sure what it is but the newer ones look nice. I think ill be going to dodge though. I hear they have this thing called a hellcat. You may have heard of it. :thumbsup:

Or i might just get a beater car and buy more guns and video games:shrug:
Oh, Hellcat is sweet! So are guns and video games haha!

2019 Camaro is also nice, plus they are adding the 10 speed auto to the non-ZL1 models.

Challengers are also cool as well. So many good options.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
I might get a smart car and park sidwayzzz..... stay tuned lol

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
What valuation did you get on the Mustang if you don't mind me asking?
I had no validation of actual problems besides an extreme case of "the rattle",(got progressively worse)but after reading what everybody has gone through here and the fact that when I took my Mustang in for an oil change they put in 8 quarts and not 10 even though I told them to. Dipstick was dry as a bone when i went to pick it up!!! Annnnnd they would be my gateway to Ford for future problems..yeah, no. We know the shift forks are faulty, i get the high rpm shift tearing/rubbing sound both audibly and physically through the clutch. Theres a thread about it..hot spots on flywheel. Readin/watching peoples horror stories dealing with Ford, i said F it, im out. Just look at the RS fiasco. Id rather lose a few grand on trade then even remotely start to deal with that shit. All this crap is happening to guys with 5k miles or less on there Stangs that are 7-8 months old! Call me an idiot, i dont care....i bailed. Im sure majority of the vehicles are just fine, but i hate the "what if". Rant over.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
I had no validation of actual problems besides an extreme case of "the rattle",(got progressively worse)but after reading what everybody has gone through here and the fact that when I took my Mustang in for an oil change they put in 8 quarts and not 10 even though I told them to. Dipstick was dry as a bone when i went to pick it up!!! Annnnnd they would be my gateway to Ford for future problems..yeah, no. We know the shift forks are faulty, i get the high rpm shift tearing/rubbing sound both audibly and physically through the clutch. Theres a thread about it..hot spots on flywheel. Readin/watching peoples horror stories dealing with Ford, i said F it, im out. Just look at the RS fiasco. Id rather lose a few grand on trade then even remotely start to deal with that shit. All this crap is happening to guys with 5k miles or less on there Stangs that are 7-8 months old! Call me an idiot, i dont care....i bailed. Im sure majority of the vehicles are just fine, but i hate the "what if". Rant over.
Lmao Amen bro! :ford:

Lightning5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Dealer said Ford advised them to replace the rocker arms and valve. We'll see if this resolves the rattle. But in the mean time they gave me a nice 164hp SUV to drive around

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
There are 4 people who voted in the poll that Ford approved a new short block, long block or whole engine. What exactly did Ford say the problem was in each of these cases? Was the damage the same in all cases? How about the source of the damage? I have this "rattle" (sounds more like a knock to me), so I want to be as educated on this as possible if it gets louder - right now its' not as loud as the last video, I only hear it with radio off, windows up.

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Here's my YouTube engine rattle video.
Sounds somehow familiar. I'll make another vid and post the cam on the same spot as you did. IMHO youŕ's a bit louder.

what kind of fuel did you use. does it contain any ethanol ?

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

This guy said Subaru told him It's a normal noise. I'm glad our cars aren't this bad.
I still think about this guy that said all the metal washers are louder with more ethanol.
We have one gas station that offers 98 oct without any ethanol. I will give it a try next time

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
I understand those who may be concerned by the rattle. I am as well. But we only have one example of actual documented damage and proof of a real issue here. Like someone else asked above: What was the official diagnosis of the other three motors that were replaced? Was it the same as bigriver - with piston slap causing cylinder wall damage? If that is indeed the case, then why are dealers having such a hard time diagnosing this? Techs are regularly in contact with Ford engineers for troubleshooting. In fact, usually those are the guys telling the techs what to do and what to look for. After all, they are the ones paying for the warranty work. I'm sure corporate would know something by now if there was a true defect. They wouldn't be authorizing rocker arm repairs and playing guessing games. Nor would they be telling techs that the sound was normal. Unfortunately, unless you want to be guinea pigs, we're all just stuck waiting for more info. Same thing I went through with my Focus RS. The truth did come out eventually. What are the odds of having two f'd up motors in a row?

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I still think about this guy that said all the metal washers are louder with more ethanol.
We have one gas station that offers 98 oct without any ethanol. I will give it a try next time
Having a 450whp scion FRS, i never had problems, and tons others didnt running e85 blowing that myth out of the water. the problem was a pump design with the "washers" many got replaced and never had the problem again, others did.. but running e85 or regular socal shit 91. never had the chirps..
Sponsored