Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
@mvjet you mean the DI tick sound in idle or the low rpm rattle sound theory related to DI and sound toube ? :)
Doesn’t the 5.0 operate in PFI only mode at idle and low load? If so, why would there be a DI tick at idle?

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Doesn’t the 5.0 operate in PFI only mode at idle and low load? If so, why would there be a DI tick at idle?
It is unlikely the actuation is completely shut off at idle. I work in fuel system development. In the ECU logic, we don't shut off main injection events at any point. We may use an energizing time low enough that the volume injected is basically 0. You will still hear actuation of the solenoid or piezo.
That said, we don't supply the Mustang fuel system, and I don't know the ECU mapping for it. There is probably a small amount injected with DI at low speeds, in order to help with the transition phase (moving from PFI to DI).

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
For everyones information....

SSM 46173

"Some 2016-2017 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from Idle - 3000 RPM. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound."

Yes our engines likely do not have forged pistons but the 350 engine is the closest analog to our engine out there. The issue described in this service bulletin matches perfectly with my sound and others. Even with forged pistons which I would expect the issue to be worse on, Ford states no longterm durablity concerns.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
you're the idiot that decided to pm me uninvited with an I told you so message that appears to have been a lie.. if you notice I have quoted some of your posts in this thread so they last forever. i'm sure you're aware that Ford does look in places like this when they suspect a car with a warranty claim is not stock as claimed. ohh and it doesn't matter if the Tune was only on for 30 seconds or 30 days, the fact that it was tuned period is the issue with Ford.
How does it "appear to have been a lie"
Many people quoted my posts... I have nothing to hide. Im an honest person.

My car went into the dealer with aftermarket parts on it.

Funny when I had my speed 3 there was 1 guy on the speed forums that was just like you. Just a straight up dick. Everyone else on the forum was as cool as a canadian breeze. But there is that 1 person that seems to have that rock in his shoe. :shrug:

Sponsored

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Can we all just focus on helping each other? I’m tempted to delete this whole thread.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)

SSM 46173

"Some 2016-2017 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from Idle - 3000 RPM. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound."

Yes our engines likely do not have forged pistons but the 350 engine is the closest analog to our engine out there. The issue described in this service bulletin matches perfectly with my sound and others. Even with forged pistons which I would expect the issue to be worse on, Ford states no longterm durablity concerns.
Yup but unfortunately some of us have it worse than others. Upon inspection there is slight damage inside the engine.

To each his own. I dont appreicate the rattle at all. Especially when I test drive other stangs in Atlanta and not one made the noise.

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

SSM 46173

once I have been to the dealer I'll keep you updated. I also guess it is normal.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Yup but unfortunately some of us have it worse than others. Upon inspection there is slight damage inside the engine.

To each his own. I dont appreicate the rattle at all. Especially when I test drive other stangs in Atlanta and not one made the noise.
If you can, post pictures of this damage. Also keep in mind that the rattle doesn't seem to occur until a few hundred miles. (likely when the anti friction coating on the piston starts to wear. That coating doesn't last long)

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
once I have been to the dealer I'll keep you updated. I also guess it is normal.
My car sounds just like yours and I'm thinking it is normal and related to the DI since it is different from an engine knock. Thanks for your videos - makes me feel better. I will report it as well to my dealer when I next take it in.

Sponsored

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
If you can, post pictures of this damage. Also keep in mind that the rattle doesn't seem to occur until a few hundred miles. (likely when the anti friction coating on the piston starts to wear. That coating doesn't last long)
Mine was doing it at 30 miles. Ill try to get photos of the damage. :headbang:

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Mine was doing it at 30 miles. Ill try to get photos of the damage. :headbang:
I see you are getting a new shortblock like some others - did you just have the dealer use the bore scope? Was it straight forward? I thought I read earlier that you had to go to a second dealer - but perhaps that was someone else.

Thanks,

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I see you are getting a new shortblock like some others - did you just have the dealer use the bore scope? Was it straight forward? I thought I read earlier that you had to go to a second dealer - but perhaps that was someone else.

Thanks,
First dealer said it was normal.
Second dealer thought it was something unrelated to the engine. Changed people and then I got the attention I deserved.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

SSM 46173

Yes this is what I posted in my first post. We do not have forged pistons and this came out after a Year or two passed so Ford had time to look into the issue and make that conclusion. I think our problem is a casting issue or deformity since the scoring is in odd places.

Lightning5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I took my car in last week to the dealership to have the Technician confirm the rattle. Mustang is currently in the shop, with the technician diagnosing the rattle. Mustang is 10speed.
Sponsored

Last edited: