Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

fairlane_68

Sooner Hot Rod and 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1994 Bronco, 1997 Mustang GT
BBB officially opened my claim against Ford. The good thing is this places a deadline on Ford to respond within 14 days.
So you're claiming lemon law on a car that's not even a year old?

You do realize that just because they have the short block in, doesn't mean that all the other parts came in too, right? Every gasket or seal has to be replaced, and any bolt that's torque-to-yield (head bolts, crank bolt, etc.,) also have to be ordered, and it's quite possible that many of those parts are on backorder. Would it make sense to you to pull the engine out and have the car sit there and take up space while parts are on backorder when other customers are waiting for their cars to be repaired? Or would it make more sense to wait until all the parts are in so the tech can pull the engine, build the new one, install it and road test the car uninterrupted?
Sponsored

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
So you're claiming lemon law on a car that's not even a year old?

You do realize that just because they have the short block in, doesn't mean that all the other parts came in too, right? Every gasket or seal has to be replaced, and any bolt that's torque-to-yield (head bolts, crank bolt, etc.,) also have to be ordered, and it's quite possible that many of those parts are on backorder. Would it make sense to you to pull the engine out and have the car sit there and take up space while parts are on backorder when other customers are waiting for their cars to be repaired? Or would it make more sense to wait until all the parts are in so the tech can pull the engine, build the new one, install it and road test the car uninterrupted?
California Lemon Law is only up to 18 months or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. Plus Ford CSR has been very unresponsive so going through the BBB forces them to do so. There is a usage deduction against the value that applies to replacement or buy back so it is better to identify the problem sooner rather than later.

They've had all the parts since Monday. It is fine with me if they wait until all the parts come in first and then do the R&R. The car has been in the shop longer than I've driven it, but at this point it doesn't matter.

I purchased the car on 3/27/18 which was 43 days ago. The car has been the shop for 23 consecutive days plus another 3 days on other occasions. I paid over $50k for a brand new fully loaded car that needs a new a engine due to a factory defect. The heavy line tech recommended a new engine but Ford just approved a short block. Who knows what else they will find when they start the R&R. Sure, if it was a water pump or a/c compressor, a replacement part is fine. But not the engine block on a new car.

They've had two attempts to correct it and I sent the proper notification to Ford so the BBB started the claim process. Ford has had lots of opportunities to make this process easier and possibly change my mind. The servicing dealer did not have to let my car sit a week before even looking at it. My regional CSR manager could have returned my many phone calls.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Just received an email from my Ford regional CSR. Ford has approved a repurchase or buyback of my 2018 GT!

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Just received an email from my Ford regional CSR. Ford has approved a repurchase or buyback of my 2018 GT!
Good deal! So, you gonna get another one, or just have them buy back? Either way, you’d better get settled in for the long haul lol

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Good deal! So, you gonna get another one, or just have them buy back? Either way, you’d better get settled in for the long haul lol
First off, thanks for your help and insights on this! Your posts about your experiences really helped me out a lot.

I will probably have them buy it back. I will definitely buy another Mustang. There aren't any matching ones built in 2018 lol! But I have time since it will be a while to get the refund. I looked at other makes but none really comes close to the Mustang.

Gen_Nick3.8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Camaro SS 1LE
First off, thanks for your help and insights on this! Your posts about your experiences really helped me out a lot.

I will probably have them buy it back. I will definitely buy another Mustang. There aren't any matching ones built in 2018 lol! But I have time since it will be a while to get the refund. I looked at other makes but none really comes close to the Mustang.
Just wait for 2019 to drop. You get rev-match, killer B&O play system! Plus im sure by then ford will sort the issues out.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
Thats great news man! Your persistence paid off. When they do a buy back is it a 100% purchase price? As hard as it may be, as stated, id wait for a '19 and spec it out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Just wait for 2019 to drop. You get rev-match, killer B&O play system! Plus im sure by then ford will sort the issues out.
I'm liking that. But the waiting, lol!

Thats great news man! Your persistence paid off. When they do a buy back is it a 100% purchase price? As hard as it may be, as stated, id wait for a '19 and spec it out.
I'll confirm back when I receive the offer sheet. Under Lemon Law in CA, buyback is for manufacturer items only, plus taxes and fees, minus a usage allowance. the usage allowance deduction in CA is miles at time of reported issue/120000 miles x purchase price. I only had 1500 miles so it will be a small deduction. I will probably lose out on what I paid for lojack and paint protection. But since Ford approved before going through the BBB mediation, they may have different offer. Hopefully it is 100% but I'm not sure.

I think I will wait for 2019 but man I really love the Mustang. I got so frustrated with this process but at least Ford owned up to the problem. Looked at other options but Mustang is still my choice.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ At least if you wait for a 2019 you can enjoy it since you're in CA and can drive a sports car all year round. Other parts of the country where it snows, etc and it would be parked in the garage for the winter around November.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
^^^ At least if you wait for a 2019 you can enjoy it since you're in CA and can drive a sports car all year round. Other parts of the country where it snows, etc and it would be parked in the garage for the winter around November.
+1! Your lucky to be able to drive all year round. You'll never know the pain of storing your car for 6 months out of the year. Damn you Wisconsin.:frusty:

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
+1! Your lucky to be able to drive all year round. You'll never know the pain of storing your car for 6 months out of the year. Damn you Wisconsin.:frusty:
OMG, ok the wait for 2019 doesn't seem long!

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Saying good bye to my 2018 GT.

Shop is finally installing the short block after almost three weeks there.
at dealer 8 small small.jpg
at dealer 9 small small.jpg
Sponsored