Sponsored

2018 GT engine rattle.

TheKuhb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang 2018 PP Mustang GT
Got my 18 PP GT on 3-6-2018. It had 67 miles on it with the dealer trade that's roughly 50+ miles from me. I took the car out of transport mode with my sales guy upon delivery. Long story short since that day I've noticed a engine rattle around 1800-2500 rpm with tip in and light cruise sitituations. Almost sounds like a old 3v phaser rattle. This isn't a injector tick by any means in my opinon. Sounds like slack in the timing chains. My 2015 f150 made the same noise around 25k miles. Dealer said it as documented but couldn't pin point the issue. I have in car video, I can hear the noise but it might be hard for you guys to pick it up.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any responses.
Sponsored

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I know exactly what you're talking about. I noticed it too on my 2018 GT PP at around 400 miles. It was prob there the whole time but thats when I really noticed it for the first time because it was REALLY loud. I notice it right around 2k RPMS under very light acceleration. I also notice it more on cold days, as well as before the engine warms all the way up, although it is always present. It is also more noticeable on the lower gears. Particularly 1-3. I definitely think its amplified by the sound tube because I can hear it through the air vents the most. It sounds to me like some sort of valve train noise. Not sure if its normal so Ive been keeping an eye on things. 1.1k miles on the car now.

OP
OP
TheKuhb

TheKuhb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know exactly what you're talking about. Not sure if its normal so Ive been keeping an eye on things. 1.1k miles on the car now.
I've got 1300 miles in 3 weeks. Sounds terrible. I want to ask ford but also don't like the idea of leaving my brand new car with some young tech who's gonna beat the brakes off it without the oil warming up or the trans. Let me know if you contact the dealer please.

Sponsored

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
You sure you guys aren't hearing the shifter? I just got an 18GT PP car on Saturday, 250 miles on it, and it also rattles. But if I grab and squeeze the shift boot below the reverse collar, it stops. Pretty sure it's just the reverse lockout mechanism.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Post some video(s) up.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 gt mustang shadow black 10 sp
same problem taken car to dealer purchased December 1500 miles sounds like a diesel at low rpm speed. dealer tried to help does not know what to do. actually drove another car from inventory. same sound hope they come up with a solution.

Chris5.0coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Have you guy found any thing out I have a 2018 gt base model and it started making a kinda loud ticking / knocking on the bottom end on the passenger side on cold starts and as soon as the cars warmed up and I drive it it’ll be there very quiet then after about 5 mins of driving I get out and check for the noise and it’s gone it only stays there when it cold or whenever I don’t start the car for more than a couple hours it’s really bothering I only have 3700 miles on the car right now and the noise started around 2900 miles scared to take my car in because I don’t want it to be in the shop for months because I’ve heard someone’s car has been on back order because of a clutch and transmission internals for 5 months also my brothers a technician at Chevy and he put it on the lift he thinks it’s coming from my trans cause when he drives it he hears the rattle between 1800rpm-2300rpm then stop anywhere above that sorry for the long message just trying to explain most of it while I can

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I am sorry to hear you all having issues with you brand new cars :/ I have a 2018 GT with 5K miles on it and so far its been trouble free. I have the A10 unlike most of you folks. I drove the car to work this morning in stop and go traffic and didnt hear any noise from the engine. :knock on wood:

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
robert
Vehicle(s)
yes I have had the same knock happen passenger side on cold start. was at dealer for this and the rattle at low rpm dealer could not duplicate knock at first then next day said they heard it then could not duplicate any more. I have not heard it recently I was thinking transmission to since it is random when it happens but the rattle noise is very annoying and not going away. I am hoping a tsb becomes available to fix this

OP
OP
TheKuhb

TheKuhb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 18 is at the dealer. The other night the flywheel, twin disc or pressure plate let loose. Made a very loud noise with a terrible vibration. That's my diagnoses without actually pulling trans to see. Weird though, dealer called me this morning to say the mass air is bad. Told me they want to fix the drivabilitity issue before they look into tranny issue. Wondering if the rattle could be detonation I'm hearing. Never through a CEL and I only run 93 in it.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
robert
Vehicle(s)
Possible intake manifold runner control. dealer replaced my manifold in February. when I picked car up there was very little noise. but within a few days it is back again. the rattle sound is there about 80 percent time. very frustrating brand new car to make this sound. dealer had me test drive another car same sound not as loud as mine but it was there.

OP
OP
TheKuhb

TheKuhb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure on the rattle. My trans is messed up forsure though. Guess we'll find out. If they keep finding stuff maybe I can lemon it out for a auto ? Lol.

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I have a 17 with the same problem..
Since you guys know what you are listening for, you can hear it in this video..
Everyone says it is piston slap, I don't think that's the case.
Takes about 10 miles of driving before it's almost not noticeable any longer.
I'm wondering if it's an oiling issue.. Seems to go away once the oil pressure goes down, thinking it may be thin enough to get somewhere it needs to be going at that point. Anyone have one of those heaters that can stick on to their oil pan and keep the oil warm overnight?

I asked my service guy when I was there getting something done to my truck and he and the tech said the Mustang engines are usually pretty good, it's the F-150's you have to watch out for.. So I have service scheduled next week.

[ame]
Sponsored

Last edited: