2020 GR Supra

Leo-2018-GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I bought a new (50 miles) 18 Mustang GT with the performance package on Saturday, 9/15/2018. I only test drove it for about 3-4 blocks away from the dealer because I got there late afternoon - early evening and wanted to leave before it was my bedtime. hahaha And of course who would have thought that there might be something wrong with a new car with only 50 miles. Then after I paid for the vehicle and left the dealer. I started noticing some weird behavior coming from the manual transmission.

Here are the issues:

I hear and feel a “clunk" like sound when the vehicle is at a stop and I press on the clutch in order to go from neutral into first gear.

Doesn’t shift smoothly throughout gears. Harder between 3rd and 4th gear.

Whining sound coming from shifter/gear area.

Called the dealer on Monday, 9/17/2017, to report the issue. It didn't sound to them like something they have heard of in the past. They told me to bring it in today, Thursday, 9/20/2018.

Later on in the afternoon they called me to come and pick up the vehicle because they didn't find anything wrong with it. Even after I replicated the issue while on a test drive with the shop's foreman.

I drove the vehicle over the weekend for a bit and stopped using it on Monday after I called the dealer because I didn’t want to be blamed for any issues. The vehicle now has around 400 miles.

I called Ford Motor Company Consumer Affairs in order to file a complaint and I was provided a case number. They escalated the issue to another level of support. I didn't pick up the vehicle and requested for the vehicle to be inspected by a Regional Service Manager.

Should I expect the fork to break at any time soon under normal driving conditions?

Any suggestions on what to do I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I bought a new (50 miles) 18 Mustang GT with the performance package on Saturday, 9/15/2018. I only test drove it for about 3-4 blocks away from the dealer because I got there late afternoon - early evening and wanted to leave before it was my bedtime. hahaha And of course who would have thought that there might be something wrong with a new car with only 50 miles. Then after I paid for the vehicle and left the dealer. I started noticing some weird behavior coming from the manual transmission.

Called the dealer on Monday, 9/17/2018, to report the issue. It didn't sound to them like something they have heard of in the past. They told me to bring it in today, Thursday, 9/20/2018.

Later on in the afternoon they called me to come and pick up the vehicle because they didn't find anything wrong with it. Even after I replicated the issue while on a test drive with the shop's foreman.

I drove the vehicle over the weekend for a bit and stopped using it on Monday after I called the dealer because I didn’t want to be blamed for any issues. The vehicle now has around 400 miles.

I called Ford Motor Company Consumer Affairs in order to file a complaint and I was provided a case number. They escalated the issue to another level of support. I didn't pick up the vehicle and requested for the vehicle to be inspected by a Regional Service Manager.

Should I expect the fork to break at any time soon under normal driving conditions?

What is the issue with it?

Leo-2018-GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
What is the issue with it?

Here are the issues:

I hear and feel a “clunk" like sound when the vehicle is at a stop and I press on the clutch in order to go from neutral into first gear.

Doesn’t shift smoothly throughout gears. Harder between 3rd and 4th gear.

Whining sound coming from shifter/gear area.

Called the dealer on Monday, 9/17/2017, to report the issue. It didn't sound to them like something they have heard of in the past. They told me to bring it in today, Thursday, 9/20/2018.

Sponsored

Switch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I feel your pain! I literally signed the paperwork on my car drove it 6 miles to take my wife to work before the check engine light and orange wrench light came on. Went straight back to the dealer. Mine turned out to be a trans output speed code and they replaced the bad sensor. Its been fine since, but man was I bummed out. Nothing like your friends asking "wheres your new mustang?" .................in the shop with 30miles on it lol. I will never live that down amongst my chevy friends.

Leo-2018-GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I feel your pain! I literally signed the paperwork on my car drove it 6 miles to take my wife to work before the check engine light and orange wrench light came on. Went straight back to the dealer. Mine turned out to be a trans output speed code and they replaced the bad sensor. Its been fine since, but man was I bummed out. Nothing like your friends asking "wheres your new mustang?" .................in the shop with 30miles on it lol. I will never live that down amongst my chevy friends.
I know bro..My friends asking too.. lol.. My Corvette friends warned me about Ford (F-ix O-r R-epair D-aily)

OP
OP
chrishammondx

chrishammondx

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Base MT82
My 3rd always felt like it had a slight grind to it. Never anything you could hear, just more resistance versus the other gears. Got on it a few times 1-4th, seemed to go in fine. Was easy on the shifts. Was coming home and wound up 2nd to about 6 grand, clutched and almost granny shifted into 3rd, like I would do if driving normally, and I felt a pop, no 3rd or 4th. It is what it is. They gave me a new F150 to drive and sent me on my way.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My trans shifts smooth. It has a build date of January, 2018 so who knows. The forks may break. I am not going to baby it. Anybody know if Alex Flores got his car back after he broke the fork?

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
My trans shifts smooth. It has a build date of January, 2018 so who knows. The forks may break. I am not going to baby it. Anybody know if Alex Flores got his car back after he broke the fork?
Nope, while fixing that fork they broke the reverse fork. I think he's looking at some time in November.

I will just continue to drive mine like normal and not sweat it. The good thing is you won't get stranded, you can still get home safely when it breaks.

This is the 1st May build car I've seen with the issue, I also have a May 2018 build car...

Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, while fixing that fork they broke the reverse fork. I think he's looking at some time in November.

I will just continue to drive mine like normal and not sweat it. The good thing is you won't get stranded, you can still get home safely when it breaks.

This is the 1st May build car I've seen with the issue, I also have a May 2018 build car...
It's one thing that there are issues with the car. But the wait times are ridiculous.

Leo-2018-GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Do the 2019 Mustang GT have the same issues with the Chinese built 6 speed transmissions.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Welcome to the Chinese MT-82. That sucks. I do not believe there is any real bullet proof remedy to this outside upgrading to a real Tremec.
The Getrag in my car is made in China?

You think Tremec don't have issues? That's funny

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I beat the dog piss out of my MT-82. But I have a 2016 ..Enter shit eating grin.

emcee1011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium