Sponsored

Alex Flores broke shift forks on camera

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Very first S550 owner here since Sep 2014! My advice to you all with the manual tranny is to get a tranny mount, mgw shifter and fluid swap to BG Syncro Shift 2!

This problem was not just on 17-18’s but on all S550’s, hack even S197 had its own MT82 problems. My car would lock me out of 3rd or 4th gear on really high rpm quick shifting. It doesn’t matter you are hitting the clutch before the shifting motion. It almost feels like the car is lacking behind you and doesn’t want to complete the shifting. Tranny Mount, MGW and BG Syncro 2 cured all of that. I also advice to get Steeda Clutch Spring. It helps with the clutch engagement.
That sounds cheaper that replacing the broken forks. How does the BG fluid make the broken shift fork work again? Awesome.
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I bought the MGW hype also.. still wont go into second over 6800 or third over 7100. I guess maybe its possible that i "messed up" the sychro's and its to late, but the car shifts really smooth under. I have the steeda spring. My first 2-3 times getting on it the car shifted fine. then a lock out here or there in third, then second. then more frequent. Then if isay do 5 runs 4 out of the 5 it will lock out. was told MGW fixes all that.. The shifts are great, but nope didnt fix anything with the lock out or grinding. The dealership already noted the problem, I have a friend that works in the trans dept there, though Auto line not the "heavy line" where the manuals go through. I have a nov build date so just waiting for this to pop and get my new ones in

And for the ones that said he doesnt look upset at all... you can tell you dont follow him or watch his videos. this isnt even close to the first he broke a tans or any part on one of his cars. hell he made a video laughing about his fuel pump going out the 2nd/3rd day he had the car. Just who he is. Some would be pissed. others not so much. i have a warranty so if it breaks it breaks

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
Did you watch a different video? You can see the force he shifted into 3rd with (look at his face, you can see the effort), and you can hear something breaking as he shifts into 3rd, a solid graunch as he shifts.

The shift forks supposedly came from a bad batch. Still looks like he was intentionally trying to break his trans.
And then I would ask why was there a "bad batch" at all and how does one know if you got one unless it breaks? Sorry there is no defense for this type of mechanical failure on a new car. I've been talking to dealers in 5 different states and not one of them has an answer other than " if it breaks while it's under warranty Ford will fix it". Not the kind of confidence one needs to buy a 50k automobile in 2018. Hey Ford.. How about you just do a recall and get it over with. The good news is for anyone who wants to look past this issue there are hundreds of unsold GT's out there and they are going to have to drop their pants to sell them all.

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
Very first S550 owner here since Sep 2014! My advice to you all with the manual tranny is to get a tranny mount, mgw shifter and fluid swap to BG Syncro Shift 2!

This problem was not just on 17-18’s but on all S550’s, hack even S197 had its own MT82 problems. My car would lock me out of 3rd or 4th gear on really high rpm quick shifting. It doesn’t matter you are hitting the clutch before the shifting motion. It almost feels like the car is lacking behind you and doesn’t want to complete the shifting. Tranny Mount, MGW and BG Syncro 2 cured all of that. I also advice to get Steeda Clutch Spring. It helps with the clutch engagement.

Should not have to do any of that to any new $50k performance car. There is no excuse for Ford.

emcee1011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Why do so many people care about how aggressive Alex shifted? No one will say anything if he shows Ford the video. He did nothing wrong.

I granny shift and am pretty sure have issues with third gear. What's the excuse for me?

Sponsored

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Why do so many people care about how aggressive Alex shifted? No one will say anything if he shows Ford the video. He did nothing wrong.

I granny shift and am pretty sure have issues with third gear. What's the excuse for me?
A lot of 2018 owners are in denial... same thing with the death rattle...

emcee1011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
A lot of 2018 owners are in denial... same thing with the death rattle...
It's like one person doesn't have any issues and just goes after everyone and finds excuses as to why other people are having problems. Like I said before regarding the shift forks. These cars should be able to be driven hard and not break after 600 miles.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the MGW hype also.. still wont go into second over 6800 or third over 7100. I guess maybe its possible that i "messed up" the sychro's and its to late, but the car shifts really smooth under. I have the steeda spring. My first 2-3 times getting on it the car shifted fine. then a lock out here or there in third, then second. then more frequent. Then if isay do 5 runs 4 out of the 5 it will lock out. was told MGW fixes all that.. The shifts are great, but nope didnt fix anything with the lock out or grinding. The dealership already noted the problem, I have a friend that works in the trans dept there, though Auto line not the "heavy line" where the manuals go through. I have a nov build date so just waiting for this to pop and get my new ones in

And for the ones that said he doesnt look upset at all... you can tell you dont follow him or watch his videos. this isnt even close to the first he broke a tans or any part on one of his cars. hell he made a video laughing about his fuel pump going out the 2nd/3rd day he had the car. Just who he is. Some would be pissed. others not so much. i have a warranty so if it breaks it breaks
61k on mine with MGW and BG Syncroshift II. Cracked off a 7800 rpm 2-3 yesterday and a couple 7600 rpm 3-4s the day before (new manifold, enjoying it), speed/quick shifting, not no lift. Stock clutch. It works but you gotta know how to work these. I had many 2-3 lockouts before the shifter.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
61k on mine with MGW and BG Syncroshift II. Cracked off a 7800 rpm 2-3 yesterday and a couple 7600 rpm 3-4s the day before (new manifold, enjoying it), speed/quick shifting, not no lift. Stock clutch. It works but you gotta know how to work these. I had many 2-3 lockouts before the shifter.
again someone with a 2015-2017 MT82 thinking the 2018 MT82 is the same lol.. i get it, but not the same trans.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
oh also want to say, jumping in my friends 17 GT with a MGW... whole reason i bought mine... shifts are great all the way to his 8k limiter. regular shifts, flat foot shifts doesnt matter. everything is great. i need to ask him if he is on stock fluid or changed it.

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ok before I leave this thread I’ll bite. I don’t know about appreciating but they are holding their value. So much so that I could sell and get back all my money and buy a GT. But that plan went “poop” as I don’t trust the new V8 motor anymore...

Now, for you GT guys: This is my first non V8 car ever. But I have to say after a year it isn’t as bad as I thought. Totally reliable and actually fast and kept its value. KEPT IT’S VALUE! In my area anyway. The other 2 Guys with Mustangs already sold their cars, an Ecoboost and a GT (traded in for an RS Camaro so it must have been a straight trade). Yeh, the last and best version of the V6 doesn’t have “the smell” about it that the other versions had. It’s sort of an exclusive club now that you can’t buy one anymore. You have to wait for a V6 guy to give there’s up to get yours! Ha, I can’t believe I said that but it’s true...

The last V6 is probably the best platform for a track car of all models but Ford killed that idea because it made too much sense. But if set up properly it will probably outhandle the oversteering V8 and more predictable than the turbo in the corners. So my fellow V6 owners you will always have that!

V6 forever...
Have you seen this vdeo of a V6 mustang (supercharged with nitrous) beat tuned GTR? Even even had two passengers in the car. The V6 can handle more power more reliably even with stock bottom end then what has been seen with the 4pot eccoburst. The S550 is too heavy of a car to have a 4pot imho.

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Have you seen this vdeo of a V6 mustang (supercharged with nitrous) beat tuned GTR? Even even had two passengers in the car. The V6 can handle more power more reliably even with stock bottom end then what has been seen with the 4pot eccoburst. The S550 is too heavy of a car to have a 4pot imho.

Well they made their point in that the 8 and 6 can be modded up to the platform limits of just under 600 horsepower or beyond but 575 was the limit the designers made from the start I believe.

I’m at an age where I can get whatever I want and I hate to say it but the 6 and me are getting along just fine. I don’t want to be dealing with a manual that breaks at both ends just driving normally. And no way do I trust that spray-on tech. So no GT for me (but I did try). Plus I learned from my previous 5.0s that I hate performance tires for a daily. My second 5.0 had them replaced in the first week with snow tires (after totalling my first 5.0 in a spin out on the highway). Then I went narrower and taller for the rest of the car’s life which was 18 years and 375,000 km.

The engine was beat much of its life yet burned no oil when I sold it to a Mustang restorer. The tranny was used up but It took 18 years. So I watch with horror as 2018 owners have their transmissions and engines grenading before the break in period is finished! Guys - that is not normal and is frankly unforgivable! My V6 has had not one moment where I thought something was amiss. Not one problem after 13 months and on track to be the most reliable car I ever owned. I’d be suing Ford’s ass with some of the experiences my fellow Mustangers had. They didn’t ask for this so don’t even try to put blame on them. Ford owns this 100%.

Rant over...

cstewartj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost
If that wack job Jim Hackett had his way completely, Ford would be a Tesla competitor.
Wack job? I understand we live in a bubble on the forum but the reality of the overall auto market is trending that way. Never mind that tech is leading the way. There will be a v8 for the foreseeable future, but I think it's a generational-demand thing.
Sponsored