Sponsored

2018 A10 rough down and up from 4th?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I noticed a few weeks ago that up-shifts to 5th and (to a lesser extent) down to 3rd feel a little off. The up-shifts feel like a jerk and the downshift can feel like a thud. With the throttle somewhere around mid level the up-shifts will feel a bit smoother. It's only under hard or soft throttle that it becomes more pronounced.

Any idea what this could be? When I came here to post this I noticed the thread on low fluid levels.
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Have the transmission fluid level checked. I have read several threads saying this could be the reason. If this does not resolve the issue, than it could be an internal issue that will be covered under warranty.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Following up on my old post. I haven't been driving much because of COVID, but I got the car in to the dealer this week. They said it was a software issue and they reprogrammed the transmission. I don't buy it. I think all they did was reset the adaptive learning mode.

The work order says:

7001D1 PID AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - DIAGNOSIS (7000)
L
5054 W

7001D1 PID RECORDER/MONITOR TEST WITH ROAD TEST
L
5054 W
FC: P66 04
PART#: 7Z369

VERIFY COMP TRANS DIAG NO CODES CLEAR ADAPTIVE LEARN RE LEARN
ADAPTIVE SHIFT AND ROAD TEST WITH IDS

If anything, it fees a little worse in Sport mode now.

I have a Lund 85 tune but I flashed to stock after the hard shifting started and it was still doing it in stock.

I remember the A10 was so smooth you could hardly tell when any of the gears shifted. I'm sensitive to and changes in sounds or behavior when it comes to cars.

Can anyone here confirm if your A10 shifts hard from 4 to 5 in sport mode?

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@michail71 unfortunately, my 2018 GT has been doing this since it had about 10,000 miles (at 36K miles now) and the 4-5 upshift in S, or S+ or Drag Mode (or manual paddle shifting) is so harsh it feels as if the transmission will break. Same things with downshift, its a thunk sound and feel. The shifts use to be so smooth and seamless in the beginning and became bad over time. I do not enjoy driving the car anymore because of the A10 acting up so bad. It does so every time so its not like a 1 off thing either

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Thanks, did you have the dealer take a look? I may take it to one of the racing shops nearby and just pay out of pocket to have them diagnose.

I have noticed if I manually shift and rev the engine a bit higher it won't thunk.

Sponsored

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Oh, another thing I have noticed, under less load, I can feel the upshift happen a bit before the display goes from 4 to 5. The best way I can describe it, is the way it feels if you slowly engage a manual clutch while under some throttle. Essentially the thunk gets spread out over 1/2 second rather than an instant.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@michail71 no, I have not taken it to the dealer. I have been really hesitant to take the car to any dealer because I am afraid they will mess up things more rather than fixing it. I see more complaints about bad customer service from Ford dealerships than good reviews. This has kept me from taking the car in and at this point, I am willing to go to a good ASE certified shop I use for most of my car related work and have them check it out.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
@michail71 no, I have not taken it to the dealer. I have been really hesitant to take the car to any dealer because I am afraid they will mess up things more rather than fixing it. I see more complaints about bad customer service from Ford dealerships than good reviews. This has kept me from taking the car in and at this point, I am willing to go to a good ASE certified shop I use for most of my car related work and have them check it out.
I'm the same way. I don't think it's the brand, it's just how the dealer based service industry works. I could go on and on about bad experiences with Mercedes service departments. They just provide bad service with a little more respect. At least with a Ford dealer, the expectations aren't as high. :)

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm the same way. I don't think it's the brand, it's just how the dealer based service industry works. I could go on and on about bad experiences with Mercedes service departments. They just provide bad service with a little more respect. At least with a Ford dealer, the expectations aren't as high. :)
You are right. I should not throw Ford under the bus, it seems many dealers for different brands are aloof about customer service. My best service experience was with Infiniti (I sold my 2010 G37 in Jan of this year), the service manager went above and beyond with getting everything sorted and gave me a brand-new loaner too. Maybe that was the exception and not he norm haha.

Regardless, I try to avoid dealerships unless I really really have to go in. Ironic because I purchased the extended warranty through FloodFordESP for 8yrs/125K miles but am afraid to use it :D
Sponsored