Sponsored

2018 5.0 Highway MPG

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
My 2015 GT has 5500 miles on it and I have never reset the meter. It consistently reads 20.6 mpg and I drive pretty normal and get on it now and then. 6sp manual. My Whippled, stroked, cammed '05 however gets about 13 mpg all just for comparisons.
Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
This has been a long running conversation one way or the other since the S550's came out. ;)

I picked up a 2016 GT vert w/manual tranny a few months ago. One of the options it's got is the 3.55:1 final drive so it's geared a little lower than factory stock. When I took delivery, I reset trip 2. After 4k+ miles on the car, it's showing high 22's overall. I've taken one road trip with it and the highest I got was 26.2. The lowest I've seen was in the upper 18's in my local driving. One clarification on that, my "local" driving still normally includes a minimum of 40% highway driving and, while I have enjoyed the performance of the car, I'm not one that pushes things on a regular basis.

The highest I've seen on the car's estimated mpg is 28.1 but that was a 70 mile run of straight freeway driving with a nice little tail wind. By the time I got home, about 8 miles off the freeway, it was down to around 25.5 or so, so the others are right, it doesn't take much off freeway driving to bring things down in a hurry.

One last thing, I'm one who likes to keep track of my fuel economy. I have a log in the glove box. When I fill up, I write down the miles traveled and fuel taken and then do the math, reset the trip meter and start again. My calculations have consistently been 1.2 to 1.5 mpg less than what the computer says it's getting. So if this is consistent across the line, those who claim 30 mpg are probably getting closer to 28.5 or so, which is still pretty darned good for a high performance V8, but it's also only going to happen under absolutely ideal conditions which, in my experience, doesn't happen very often.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
There's a post somewhere on how to adjust your fuel mileage table to make it fairly accurate. I can't remember who posted it, but I changed the setting to his and it's pretty much dead on and prior to that it always read 1.3 to 1.5 better like yours.

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
I tried a 60 miles economy run last week...

A loop with no lights, twisty roads, 2 hills, driven at an average of 50 miles per hour

32MPG / 7.3L/100km per the dashboard

29 MPG per the gas pump...

Not too bad

But for my daily commute i'm doing 20MPG

What I really really don't like is the poor range.. with my 20 MPG average I do only 250 miles per tank which is very very shitty....What's the point of putting a so small tank in a V8 car ?

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Wheres ma popcorns

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
My gas tank is too small.

Oh sorry, I think topic has something to do with highway mpg.

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
too many variables asking individuals what mileage they get. The only scientific test done is the EPA
2017 5.0 6 spd. 14 city 23 highway 17 combined
2018 5.0 6 spd 15 city 25 highway 18 combined
We know all that “and your mileage may vary”

So what are EPA estimates for auto tranny equivalents? Might as well show those.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I tried a 60 miles economy run last week...

A loop with no lights, twisty roads, 2 hills, driven at an average of 50 miles per hour

32MPG / 7.3L/100km per the dashboard

29 MPG per the gas pump...

Not too bad

But for my daily commute i'm doing 20MPG

What I really really don't like is the poor range.. with my 20 MPG average I do only 250 miles per tank which is very very shitty....What's the point of putting a so small tank in a V8 car ?
Don't trust the dashboard. The best way to calculate on the street is to fill, reset mileage, drive till most of the tank is gone, then fill again (with the same pump if possible). Take the mileage on your trip screen and divide that by the gallons of your fill after. My computer showed 20mpg after a weekend of spirited driving, mixed in with a few cruising trips. The actual calculated MPG was like 18.8mpg. I used to do petrochemical testing, which included fleet tracking. Without having a tank on a scale, this is the best we can do.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I've calculated mileage many times on my work truck and it's always about 1 mpg worse than the vehicle's OH display.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Probably, still, my 2016 GT owners manual clearly states that 87 octane is just fine, but if you want maximum performance you gotta use 91+. ;)
You know I went ahead and pumped 93 octane this morning so I can get the full 460+ HP. Too bad I was stuck in traffic for my commute to work and couldn't get on it :frusty:

I will take her to the Shenandoah Mountains this coming weekend and really open her up on the highway.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Hey so you took the $5k off on that car? Now put premium in it. What's an extra $3 a tank when you just spent $45k.
I agree and I am certainly not using 87 vs 93 due to cost. I just wanted to see what kind of performance and gas mileage I will get with 87 vs 93. I do not go by the cars measuring gauge but rather I choose the same gas station, same pump, same time of the day in order to get the most accurate numbers when I do the calculation.

I am keeping record of 10 tanks of gas with 87 octane driven over the same route and similar driving situation.

Then, I will take 10 tanks of gas with 93 octane and measure the MPG as well. This is all due to curiosity and personal satisfaction, as I did not buy a V8 because I am trying to save money on gas. :thumbsup:
Sponsored