2018-2019 Ford Performance Ecoboost Tune Released

NavyMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost mustang
Took the car out for an early Sunday morning evaluation of all drive modes. In the normal drive mode, the trans shifts like stock, which is to say silky smooth and comfortable even under full throttle. Again, just like stock. There is a distinct difference in shift characteristics in either the sport+ or paddle shift mode with the trans lever in sport. Both shift the same, it's just that you can hold the gears longer with the paddle. I hit the paddle at 6000 rpm and felt no loss of power from 5-6000 rpm, nice. In both sport modes, The first two shifts can only be described as aggressive. Maybe the "crisp" you mentioned. From there, the shifts are firm and fast. Any more aggressive would become harsh, imo. I'll say that the sport modes had me grinning. I believe Ford Performance absolutely nailed this tune. This car is really fun to drive with the tune. Hope this helps, from a 63 year old retired navy aircraft maintenance officer. Happy driving.
Sponsored

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost 101
Quick question, if one were to go with the Ford Performance tune, then add down pipe, charge pipes, inter cooler, and exhaust, would you need to go with a different tune? Would the Ford tune be able to compensate? How much power are you leaving on the table by sticking with the performance tune?

I'm mostly interested in making the power reliable, and easy. Don't need the engine to be strung out, or at risk of detonating.

StevePogo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Convertible Premium Ecoboost
Quick question, if one were to go with the Ford Performance tune, then add down pipe, charge pipes, inter cooler, and exhaust, would you need to go with a different tune? Would the Ford tune be able to compensate? How much power are you leaving on the table by sticking with the performance tune?

I'm mostly interested in making the power reliable, and easy. Don't need the engine to be strung out, or at risk of detonating.
With all of that, you would be better off with Cobb and custom tune from tune +. The only reason I’m going Ford Performance is to keep my warranty intact.

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app

All of that is fine except downpipe. All else the Ford Tune does not care about,

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
I'd be interested in seeing if anyone already had an upgraded downpipe/exhaust/fmic and then got the Ford performance tune. I'm curious as to how it would run.

Sponsored

NavyMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost mustang
With all of that, you would be better off with Cobb and custom tune from tune +. The only reason I’m going Ford Performance is to keep my warranty intact.
I'm guessing that the mods you mentioned would void the powertrain warranty. I'd check with Ford on that. Opening up the exhaust will certainly give you more power but you might find the exhaust note intolerably loud. It will change the character of the car so make sure you can live with it. I've considered some of the same mods but after hearing lots of feedback, I've decided to order a 2020 gt with active exhaust tuning. I can keep it stock and get the performance I'm looking for. Good luck with your project and do talk to fomoco and Ford performance regarding warranty and tuning for mods.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the downpipe should broaden the torque curve (lessen the torque cliff) somewhat. If the tune is any good it should have an adaptive mode so that it will adjust timing and boost to compensate for what it's observing at the various sensors. These tunes aren't really specific to a piece of hardware, they just have wider parameter ranges that allow "supporting" the free-flowing parts.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing that the mods you mentioned would void the powertrain warranty.
Good lord, is everybody brainwashed/mis-informed on this topic? Your warranty can NOT be voided. Your CLAIM(s) can be denied assuming the adjudicator can PROVE that your mods directly contributed to the failure under discussion.

Say your aftermarket tune was allowing the engine and turbo to breach safety limits on timing and knock so you holed pistons or blew gaskets. If when they review the ECU history they see clearly out of bounds values and they can likewise observe you had an aftermarket tune they can reasonably assert that you modified the engine such that the repair bill is yours.

Reactions: Cxp

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
@shogun32

Yes, there is this feeling out there that if you tune and blow your motor, the entire car is now tainted. This misinformation spreads like wildfire :) If somebody wants to tune past the FP cal, that's fine, but if it blows the engine is at risk of not being covered ($5000 I believe), that is not a whole car.

NavyMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost mustang
@shogun32

Yes, there is this feeling out there that if you tune and blow your motor, the entire car is now tainted. This misinformation spreads like wildfire :) If somebody wants to tune past the FP cal, that's fine, but if it blows the engine is at risk of not being covered ($5000 I believe), that is not a whole car.
I was singling out the powertrain warranty. Being stuck with an engine repair bill is effectively a voided warranty with respect to a specific. Do what you think is best lol, it's your wallet. Good luck.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do what you think is best lol, it's your wallet
Yup. My car got a tune 200 miles off the showroom floor. So much better than factory. I might still do the FP incarnation. What was curious was the canned tune runs much less boost and yet the engine response and torque is way better.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Anyone know offhand a good E30/E35 and/or E85 article & tunes pro/con..?

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost 101
@NavyMustang @StevePogo

For various reasons, I am not concerned about the warranty, or issues related to it. But I would like to keep it Ford tuned while adding other products. Call it being brand loyal, or what ever you want to, but warranty is a non-issue. Just want to make sure that everything will work together well.

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
I talked with a Ford performance rep today and was told the power pack would not work well with an upgraded downpipe (3")... I guess take that with a grain of salt seeing as to how it was one of the "techs" from the website but that's what I was told. So I guess no turbo back exhaust for me just yet.

So for now I'm thinking exhaust, fmic, cat back, power pack and done. And once my warranty runs out maybe big turbo, more sturdy head gasket and studs etc etc because I'll have this car for quite awhile.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the upgraded downpipe would not work well with an upgraded downpipe...
more sturdy head gasket and studs etc etc because I'll have this car for quite awhile.
Can you edit/clarify the first bit? Personally I would upgrade the head gasket and studs now instead of waiting 3 years. There's only upside to those fixes.
Sponsored