2018-2019 Ford Performance Ecoboost Tune Released

StevePogo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Convertible Premium Ecoboost
I don’t think many people are going to be as lucky as me. I went to get my tune done my dealer, I had the filter in place, had Procal and my tune ready to go. Tech tried going in his route, no luck, tried my Mac and it went in right away. Get this, no charge and I got an invoice for install.
Wow, lucky no charge!
Sponsored

StevePogo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Convertible Premium Ecoboost
Tune is in for a week, 200 miles. Awesome improvement especially with the A10. No more jerky crap in D, smooth now, and S is impressive. Hesitation is reduced, this is what Ford should sell stock. More responsive, power drop at 5-6k not noticeable like before. ATM intercooler going in this Friday with Plugs, will reflash afterwards and then report back after 200 miles.

Note right after flash, since it’s in a fuel learning process, there is more power but timing is slow. As you drive more and more it starts waking up and around 200 miles, it’s quite nice. The stock EB is kinda like me at 7am with no coffee, post tune is like the 10am version of myself with 2 cups and ready to go.
Exactly what I have, are you reflashing with the ford performance? You keep the ProCal to reflash whenever you need to? Did you guys have to bring your own laptops to the dealer to flash?

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
Exactly what I have, are you reflashing with the ford performance? You keep the ProCal to reflash whenever you need to? Did you guys have to bring your own laptops to the dealer to flash?
So I went to the more friendly dealer near me (not the one I bought the car at). The other one quoted me $240 and I needed to drop off, I asked what takes so long since I have the software and Procal ready to go - they gave me crap about how it sometimes needs to go in twice and they need to drive it to check for lights... blah blah blah. This is one of many quarky things with this dealer.

The good dealer where I ended up taking it to quoted me $120 or about that. In preparation, (1) I registered on Ford Performance website and downloaded ProCal. (2) Plug your dongle into the OBD2 port and load up ProCal. (3) The system will load up your info -> go to Download tab and type in your voucher code, email, and password associated with Ford Registration - this will download to the Mac in a folder for you. Close down software. I had done these steps prior to the dealer.

For programming. The tech I worked with was really cool and had me come back with the car. He didn't think Procal would work, I guess someone came in recently with a Mac and it wouldn't work. Well for my car, the tech's laptop couldn't hook up correctly for some reason. After it failed 3 times getting in, he had me plug the Mac in and give it a shot. It went right in easy and programmed in 5-10 minutes. I went up front, and he told the guy at the desk no charge since we used my laptop and I had everything ready to go and he had just made sure it was done correctly.

The tech told me he has a Focus RS and we discussed intercoolers, wastegates... etc... for cars. I asked about reflashing and he recommended reflashing the FP calibration after I change out the intercooler and plugs.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
That's how it ought to be. Even paying an hour labor would have been fine for me. The "at least 2 hours @ 140/hr" line I get at local dealers just says they don't really want my business. I mean, it would take longer to rotate my tires...

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
As someone previously mentioned, the fake engine thing is either turned down, or turned off.

Sponsored

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
I confirmed with Ford Performance, the symposer is altered in the calibration.

To me it now sounds like a real car.

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
I confirmed with Ford Performance, the symposer is altered in the calibration.

To me it now sounds like a real car.
That’s really interesting. If anyone with the tune has FORScan, I’d love to see what the settings are changed to, especially on an Active Exhaust car.

stratocaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Man, my local Ford wants to charge $700 for the part and $150 for install. Seems kind of excessive. Maybe I’ll just order from somewhere else.
Just had mine done yesterday. Bought the pack for $425 on-line. I asked my local dealership how much for install. I was told about $150, which I thought was cool enough. I had already downloaded the tune and put it on a flash drive for them. They come back in an hour and say it's all done, but they had to charge for 1.5 hours because that was book. Plus, a $35 "materials" charge, which was ridiculous. Install ended up costing me $250 or so. So you may want to get a firm price from them so you're not surprised like I was.

stratocaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Had my tune put in yesterday. Didn't feel anything at first. I knew there was a learning period, so I put about 50 miles on the car and am now starting to feel it. I was doing about 40 mph in sport+ mode, floored it, and chirped the tires. That never happened before in sport+ mode.

There were two times from a standing start that I floored it and got a pretty loud knock for about 1 second. That also never happened before. I wonder if that's part of the computer learning process and I just need to wait some more. The dealer that did the install asked if I had colder plugs to install, as it was their experience that installing colder plugs was pretty standard when installing a tune.

I had talked to ford performance about colder plugs before I had the tune installed and they told me the stock plugs would be fine unless the car is consistently driven hard. But I'm going to run it by them again since I'm getting a knock. Anyone else run into a knock issue with the tune?

...just communicated with Ford Performance. They said colder plugs should NOT be necessary, that the occasional knock is considered normal while the computer is learning to determine how much it can advance the timing, the tune usually takes about 4 days to "complete", and that if there is severe knocking after 1000 miles that perhaps there is an issue of some kind.

Last edited:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm not sure I would agree that knock is normal. That sounds like political speak for idk. But hey what do I know.

Sponsored

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Had my tune put in yesterday. Didn't feel anything at first. I knew there was a learning period, so I put about 50 miles on the car and am now starting to feel it. I was doing about 40 mph in sport+ mode, floored it, and chirped the tires. That never happened before in sport+ mode.

There were two times from a standing start that I floored it and got a pretty loud knock for about 1 second. That also never happened before. I wonder if that's part of the computer learning process and I just need to wait some more. The dealer that did the install asked if I had colder plugs to install, as it was their experience that installing colder plugs was pretty standard when installing a tune.

I had talked to ford performance about colder plugs before I had the tune installed and they told me the stock plugs would be fine unless the car is consistently driven hard. But I'm going to run it by them again since I'm getting a knock. Anyone else run into a knock issue with the tune?

...just communicated with Ford Performance. They said colder plugs should NOT be necessary, that the occasional knock is considered normal while the computer is learning to determine how much it can advance the timing, the tune usually takes about 4 days to "complete", and that if there is severe knocking after 1000 miles that perhaps there is an issue of some kind.

Nothing new there, frpp tunes back in the day on the 11-14 coyotes used too make the knock sensors go off on a regular basis. It happened on my car enough for me to switch to a real tuner. That’s the issue with making a carb approved tune. Something has to give in this case they made the knock sensors work per cylinder. This shows up as a 0 on logs instead of -5 or +5, they also did this with the track key on the boss 302. Which is why ford racing told owners to use premium all the time or throw in 100 octane to be safe. A lot of guys including me don’t like this as you can’t see what kinda knock is going on and over the year when tuner copy using individual knock they popped a lot of engines lol. Long story short when it comes to frpp tunes

Use the best gas you can find and never, ever run anything else

And remember anytime you reflash the ecu or unplug the battery for more than 30 mins it does a KAM reset. Setting all the AFR, fuel and TB values too 0. And that’s why it takes a few tanks of gas for the car too figure it’s Shit out.

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
@stratocaster

Did you have 91 in the system already or was there something less in there?

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
91 octane all the time since I bought the car.
Keep us updated, my car hasn’t knocked once and I’m 350 miles in.

Could it be a bad gap on factory plug I’m wondering?
Sponsored