Sponsored

2018/19 Shelby GT500 Mustang Spotted! Twin Turbo V8 Powered? [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Because the whole point of ECOBOOST is having a low displacement/efficient engine... the whole reason to move from a V8. That's why I don't even understand why people think Ford would use TT on a V8. It makes sense frag a streetcar/drag perspective but no so much from a production perspective. There aren't many production cars making V8's with turbos...
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Because the whole point of ECOBOOST is having a low displacement/efficient engine... the whole reason to move from a V8. That's why I don't even understand why people think Ford would use TT on a V8. It makes sense frag a streetcar/drag perspective but no so much from a production perspective. There aren't many production cars making V8's with turbos...
Moar powah!!!

Ferrari makes a nice TT V8 car. The 488. Maybe you've heard of it. There are a few other high end cars going this route as well.

I have no issue with the engine displacement being reduced from the older 5.8 liter GT500 or the competitions' 6.2 liter supercharged mills. I just prefer the sound of a V8 enough that I would buy a slower V8 car with good sound over something with a different engine but that sounds crappy. I realize that a TT V8 may also be difficult to get great sound out of, but TT V6 - almost impossible.

Maybe it won't happen but I'm cheering for Ford to do something really awesome with the GT500 rather than more of the same.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
who said it's gotta be a drag car? road course cars ftw. unless they market and setup the 500 as the drag car and keep the 350 as the road car. i'm fine with whatever makes the 350 more affordable and accessible lol with no adm.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a voodoo with a super charger or twin turbos.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I am completely amazed that some are taken off guard by a Twin Turbo V8. I just cannot believe it...

The Ford GT went with a TT V6 because of class limitations and mid-engine packaging/weight.

Ecoboost technology isn't limited to 4 or 6 cylinders, all that is needed is Direct Injection. The Coyote 2 will likely support DI as well as a Voodoo 2.

As long as the Mustang is racing, the Voodoo is here to stay. If the GT500 is IMSA GT or SCCA GT bound, a TT V8 is almost required.

thePill has been waving his hands over the possiblility of a twin turbo V8. Besides, what if it's NOT truly a TWIN TURBO but a Bi-Turbo V8??

Bi-Turbo...

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
who said it's gotta be a drag car? road course cars ftw. unless they market and setup the 500 as the drag car and keep the 350 as the road car. i'm fine with whatever makes the 350 more affordable and accessible lol with no adm.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a voodoo with a super charger or twin turbos.
The gt500s have always been predominantly about straight line with a small compromise for some handling.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Moar powah!!!

Ferrari makes a nice TT V8 car. The 488. Maybe you've heard of it. There are a few other high end cars going this route as well.

I have no issue with the engine displacement being reduced from the older 5.8 liter GT500 or the competitions' 6.2 liter supercharged mills. I just prefer the sound of a V8 enough that I would buy a slower V8 car with good sound over something with a different engine but that sounds crappy. I realize that a TT V8 may also be difficult to get great sound out of, but TT V6 - almost impossible.

Maybe it won't happen but I'm cheering for Ford to do something really awesome with the GT500 rather than more of the same.
What's Ferraris cheapest car? ;).. Ford is not Ferrari. Of course high end exotics run them but a GT500 is not a high end exotic, or will ever be considered one. What purpose would it serve Ford to run turbos on a car that has always run root style blower since leaving the N/A life. Every since testing/mule/spy shots have been posted online for the Cobra/GT500 it's ALWAYS speculated that there is a TT V8. It's wishful thinking at most.

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
WELL.....

Well maybe my 350 will have to go. For this new GT500, time will tell. :frusty:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The GT350 used a flat plane crank.........a setup usually associated with exotics ;)

Whilst I'm not convinced GT500 will be a twin turbo (although I'd certainly welcome it), it's not just Ferrari that use a TTV8. Mercedes, Audi and BMW also have twin turbo V8s now, having replaced their larger capacity normally aspirated V8s.

Personally, I'd love to see a 4.7 (289ci) TT V8 :ford:

Sponsored

bmfa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
Cammo 2015 GT
Well, there is a "list" to get on to be in line to order a GT500 for the '18MY.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
The GT350 used a flat plane crank.........a setup usually associated with exotics ;)

Whilst I'm not convinced GT500 will be a twin turbo (although I'd certainly welcome it), it's not just Ferrari that use a TTV8. Mercedes, Audi and BMW also have twin turbo V8s now, having replaced their larger capacity normally aspirated V8s.

Personally, I'd love to see a 4.7 (289ci) TT V8 :ford:
A 4.7 FPC TT would be a spectacular throw back!
But wouldn't seem right for the GT500...

Last edited:

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I keep seeing people saying this is just a 2018 gt or updated gt350 and it doesn't make any sense. The regular S550 is not going to be that aggressive we all know that. Neither would a Mach1. The rear tires scream gt500.

Also i dont think any way the gt350 is going to continue to be offered through the '18 refresh. It's a limited vehicle remember that. which SVT Mustang has been produced starting with one body style and getting a makeover while still in production? Only the standard models do that. I think the gt350 will end with 2017 and think the FP guys have alluded to it in the past when hinting at production numbers. Also no need for all that camo and debadging if they are just testing parts.

Seems like using the gt350 for a gt500 powertrain mule makes perfect sense. I'd bet we see a few changes to the front clip and that's about it. The real star should be under the hood.
Sponsored