2017 Mustang GT Drive Modes

Jay4424

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaspal
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Hey guys I was hoping a few of you can answer a question that’s been bugging me a while.

Ive owned a 2017 Mustang GT manual with 3:55 gears from day one and always found that there wasn’t really any noticeable difference in throttle response when going from normal to sport plus or track. The only time there is a significant difference is when I switch to snow/wet and can tell everything is dampened. If I really pressed on the throttle I noticed a tiny difference in acceleration in sport plus but that’s it. I thought this is just the way the stock car is but since I had a pcm update it seems like it’s dampened the throttle response even more weirdly enough. The dealership thinks everything’s fine because there aren’t any codes displayed. Here in the UK they don’t have much knowledge of what a Mustang should be like since they’re still learning. I was hoping if anyones had a similar experience after a pcm update and whether your s550 mustangs do feel the same with the different drive modes or more throttle sensitive.
Sponsored

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I drove a base 300A manual transmission when I was looking for my car just to make sure I could live with the transmission.

Then I drove a 401A car with the drive modes and had it in track mode for the next test drive.

Back to back I thought the sales guy was screwing with me and gave me a car with a blower on it because the throttle response was so astronomically different.

Normal mode is very progressive while Sport+ and Track are basically 100% linear and direct.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jay4424

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaspal
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I drove a base 301A manual transmission when I was looking for my car just to make sure I could live with the transmission.

Then I drove a 401A car with the drive modes and had it in track mode for the next test drive.

Back to back I thought the sales guy was screwing with me and gave me a car with a blower on it because the throttle response was so astronomically different.

Normal mode is very progressive while Sport+ and Track are basically 100% linear and direct.

Thanks for the reply. Was that for a similar year because I see you have the facelift mustang which is more responsive in its drive modes. I have the 2017 performance pack

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I drove a base 301A manual transmission when I was looking for my car just to make sure I could live with the transmission.

The 301a should have had the drive modes.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium

Sponsored

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Thanks for the reply. Was that for a similar year because I see you have the facelift mustang which is more responsive in its drive modes. I have the 2017 performance pack
They were both 2019's I drove.

I would have assumed the drive modes were the same though the S550 generation, but if not someone can chime in.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Maybe something is wrong with your car ?

I can definitely feel the difference between Normal mode and Sport Mode.

It revs more and it's more of animal. :rockon:

Is your car a automatic ?
I never drove a automatic so I can't help you if thats the case.

OP
OP

Jay4424

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaspal
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT

yeah maybe hence why I’m trying to get people to give me their thoughts. I’ve read people say that there isn’t much difference like me which is why until now I’ve thought it’s normal.

You say it’s more an animal. Is that when you really go to town with the throttle or does a light press of the throttle cause cause quick acceleration through the Rev counter?

OP
OP

Jay4424

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaspal
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT

yeah maybe hence why I’m trying to get people to give me their thoughts. I’ve read people say that there isn’t much difference like me which is why until now I’ve thought it’s normal.

You say it’s more an animal. Is that when you really go to town with the throttle or does a light press of the throttle cause cause quick acceleration through the Rev counter?[/QUOTE

OP
OP

Jay4424

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaspal
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT

You say it’s more an animal. Is that when you really go to town with the throttle or does a light press of the throttle cause cause quick acceleration through the Rev counter?[/QUOTE

Sponsored

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I have an Australian GT manual PP. Like the UK cars it has a 3.55 rear.

Similarly, I find very little difference in throttle response from normal to Sports+ / track.

There must be a slight improvement because my favoured setting is Sports+ with easy steering. But it's not night and day that's for sure.

OP
OP

Jay4424

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaspal
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I have an Australian GT manual PP. Like the UK cars it has a 3.55 rear.

Similarly, I find very little difference in throttle response from normal to Sports+ / track.

There must be a slight improvement because my favoured setting is Sports+ with easy steering. But it's not night and day that's for sure.
Thank you. I think this is the case with the exported 3:55 gear ratio mustangs. Perhaps the guys above have 3:73? I was considering the pedalmax or ford performance pack 1 tune just to give the car a little more oomph with regards to pickup low down because as I’ve mentioned above there is only a slight difference for me when I really push the throttle down in 4th gear for example. Otherwise normal mode doesn’t feel too different when driving. I’m guessing the tune would wake up the various modes to what they should feel like other than snow/ wet of course

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
Massive improvement with headers, exhaust and Lund tune.

OP
OP

Jay4424

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaspal
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Massive improvement with headers, exhaust and Lund tune.
I’m sure of all that. I just wanted to make sure that the car is working correctly as it is before considering all the above. It’s just rubbish that the dealers in the UK don’t know much about the Mustang and there’s a lot of trial and error with them

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
there is only a slight difference for me when I really push the throttle down in 4th gear for example
I only feel it in lower gears, with a light press of the throttle. Like before the engine has warmed up and I want to shift at 2500-3000 rpm, if I drive in Sport it's a little more work to control it and shift that early. It's definitely night and day for me. I feel no difference between Sport and Track however.
Sponsored