Sponsored

2017 GT350 - To be, or not to be... That is the ?

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Hence why I said use the 3.5L EB as the basis. Wouldn't be too hard or costly to add two cylinders.
OK, not sure I agree with this.

Wouldn't adding two cylinders mean changing almost every major component? New block, crankshaft, counterweight requirements, camshafts, heads, manifolds (intake and exhaust), etc. Also, that engine would end up being 4.67 liters if you reused the bore and stroke. Would certainly be a bad-ass engine though, just would also be quite a bit of work.

Of course, after tackling the Voodoo, maybe it's not so much work after all.

-T
Sponsored

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Interesting discussion. Bottom line is?

MONEY!

if the sales continue.. expect the model to last and continue. WHy? because they will make money on them as mentioned several times before. Yes it was intended as a low production model but think of it more as a sales experiment. If sales slow down well.. it will disappear as expected. I don't think Ford predicted the popularity and success so far early in its life and its very very early to predict future sales. GM comes out with a zl1 with 650 hp and blows it out of the water sky high in every category and there;; be another 140 page thread on the zl1 on this forum and it may hurt the sales on the GT350 :lol:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Hence why I said use the 3.5L EB as the basis. Wouldn't be too hard or costly to add two cylinders.
OK, not sure I agree with this.

Wouldn't adding two cylinders mean changing almost every major component? New block, crankshaft, counterweight requirements, camshafts, heads, manifolds (intake and exhaust), etc. Also, that engine would end up being 4.67 liters if you reused the bore and stroke. Would certainly be a bad-ass engine though, just would also be quite a bit of work.

Of course, after tackling the Voodoo, maybe it's not so much work after all.

-T

Totally slipped my mind. The 3.5 ecoboost is a 60 degree V6 which has a more natural balance eliminating the need for a balance shaft. To make a 60 degree V8 would require a balance shaft, not something you want in a performance engine IMO. Last one Ford made was the 3.4 Taurus SHO engine.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Yeah, totally slipped mine too... That's a significant issue. Well it would have to be a new build then and I'm sure Ford would utilize a variant in the trucks to make it profitable.

Derk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
Turbo V8 for Raptor, special edition Bronco, and special edition Ranger?!?! :)

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Have it ready for the next gen cars:

2020 Mustang, Raptor, hi-end Lincoln.....

:)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Super Duty?
I don't think Ford or any manf'er would want to risk the potential durability issues with the heavy duty sector. They understand they need to make torque curves that are the meatiest right smack smack in the middle of the RPM range.

A lot of people don't understand why the HD variants of engines such as the 6.2L Boss have lower outputs in torque and horsepower but aren't so peaky like the half tons are. The Fast Lane Truck tested an F150 with the 6.2L and an F250 with the 6.2L towing the same loads up the Ike Gauntlet and the F250 won without breaking a sweat.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I don't think Ford or any manf'er would want to risk the potential durability issues with the heavy duty sector. They understand they need to make torque curves that are the meatiest right smack smack in the middle of the RPM range.

A lot of people don't understand why the HD variants of engines such as the 6.2L Boss have lower outputs in torque and horsepower but aren't so peaky like the half tons are. The Fast Lane Truck tested an F150 with the 6.2L and an F250 with the 6.2L towing the same loads up the Ike Gauntlet and the F250 won without breaking a sweat.

I'm not sure where you're getting at, Nick. If Ford built the engine for the Super Duty you can bet it has sufficient durability and would essentially be bulletproof in a Mustang application.

Altering specifics like cam design and tuning would allow the engine to fit multiple roles as long as the heart of the engine is up to the task.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I would use it in the F-150 if the intent were to cover the development costs for the Mustang engine.
Yep.

If it weren't for the F150, I'd very much doubt the Mustang would have the 5.0. Far too much money to develop an engine for such a low-volume model (unlike the trucks) and keep it affordable.....

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
You can't get a 6.2 in F150 anymore, biggest is 5.0.
Options are a 2.7, 3.5 and 5.0
The 250's still offer it, But I bet not for long.
You want big torque, they will say buy a diesel.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
10 Speed

I would use it in the F-150 if the intent were to cover the development costs for the Mustang engine.

If we were to really expect a Mustang engine to go that route expect to see it in the truck first, similarly with the 10-speed auto.
Isn't this the GM/Ford joint venture? Should be enough of them made to keep the price reasonable. Wouldn't that also help them meet their Fuel Economy numbers with Overdrive (Underdrive)?

ThundrPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
93 GT
It pisses me of that Ford and the dealers treat this car as if it was the LaFerrari or the GT for that matter. It's a freaking Mustang and a GT350 not even a GT500 or a KR/super snake. Why can't they manufacture the GT350 for the entire run of the S550 platform? Have at least 80% of dealers one or two in the showroom and have them available to all buyers who want one by special order. In two years I will be ready for a GT350 and it looks like I won't get my hands on one unless it's used, I hope.
I don't have any doubt that in two years you'll be able to find one used. A newer model will be released by then and everybody will be jumping on that express train. The first year of a highly desirable somewhat limited vehicle in this price range and everybody is looking to turn a profit. Unfortunately it just creates a bad experience for enthusiasts that just want to buy the car and enjoy it. Ferrari makes new owners purchase used vehicles before they can sign up for a new one. They also have owners sign purchase agreements which prevent them from immediately flipping the vehicle for a profit. It can be a bit extreme but as an enthusiast I wouldn't mind signing an agreement like that if it meant that I could purchase the vehicle to my specifications at MSRP.
Sponsored