Sponsored

2017 GT Premium Leather Seat - Sagging

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
You may have seen my original post about my lower back hurting in these seats (GT Premium leather heated/cooled), starting the day I brought the car home. I am now wondering about something else with these seats. I am at about 1100 miles.

I have noticed lately it feels like I am sitting really low. Not low to the road, but low in the seat itself. I can see that when I get out of the seat and I'm looking at it, the leather is slightly wrinkled, and I can push down on the cushion and there doesn't seem to be much cushion actually there. It feels like I sit on tight leather suspending me, rather than cushion covered by leather. I notice when I sit normal, where my rear end is at the back of the cushion it feels like this, but if I were to scoot up to the middle of the seat for comparison, it is rock hard and much more supportive.

Why is this? Do all these GT Premium leather seats sag this bad? Is this seat defective?
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What cars are you used to, what have you owned before? How much do you weigh?

Leather is cow skin. It stretches, moves, wrinkles, etc.

Plus, it's very hot right now. That effects leather too.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
It feels more like an issue with the cushioning under the leather, or the lack of it, rather than the leather itself. I can push down with my fist much further than I would expect, at the rear of the seat, but not much at all in the middle or front. It feels like there is just no cushion to support me, and I am only 150lbs.

My previous vehicle was a '12 Focus SE, cloth. No issue.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Mine do that.

My Toyota Camry with 86K miles -- the seats looked almost brand new.

My Mustang with 38K miles -- the leather is worn at the edges of seams, stretched, etc.

My Dodge Durango with 35K miles -- the seats look almost brand new.

My friends Mustang at the time had 40K miles... the seat had NO padding left. He's a heavy guy, but... literally rock hard.

Enjoy...

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I'm thinking about having an interior shop redo my seats with higher quality thicker leather and enhanced padding but I want them to match the stock look.

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Perhaps it's something to do with the seat cooling mechanism? There has to be some opening there that lets air flow.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Mine do that.

My Toyota Camry with 86K miles -- the seats looked almost brand new.

My Mustang with 38K miles -- the leather is worn at the edges of seams, stretched, etc.

My Dodge Durango with 35K miles -- the seats look almost brand new.

My friends Mustang at the time had 40K miles... the seat had NO padding left. He's a heavy guy, but... literally rock hard.

Enjoy...
But at 1100 miles?

So it looks like the seat is stitched into four different sections on the bottom portion. The front two are heavily padded, the third (the one you sit on) seems pretty weak, and the fourth is just a small strip at the rear, is again heavily padded. I don't understand the lack of padding on the portion you sit on.

Is there a Ford rep on here that couple help me work with my dealership in figuring out if there is a real problem?

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I had my longest drive not long ago, only 2.5 hours.. but I was not impressed at all with these seats. NOW I felt the same with my last 2 cars, scion FRS and a Focus ST3 with the leather recaros. The FRS “broke in” rather quick. The ST took a lot longer, but once I found the right spot for them, never had another issue doing long driving stints.

The GT, it’s like I could feel the seem of those 4 panels stitched together on my ass. Was uncomfortable and never could find a comfortable position no matter what. Around town it hasn’t been a issue though. I’ll keep playing around hoping to find that sweet spot. But after all the praise I heard about the seats I was a little let down on that longer drive

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I had my longest drive not long ago, only 2.5 hours.. but I was not impressed at all with these seats. NOW I felt the same with my last 2 cars, scion FRS and a Focus ST3 with the leather recaros. The FRS “broke in” rather quick. The ST took a lot longer, but once I found the right spot for them, never had another issue doing long driving stints.

The GT, it’s like I could feel the seem of those 4 panels stitched together on my ass. Was uncomfortable and never could find a comfortable position no matter what. Around town it hasn’t been a issue though. I’ll keep playing around hoping to find that sweet spot. But after all the praise I heard about the seats I was a little let down on that longer drive

I used to feel the seem and the seam also sometimes caught on my jeans pockets and snagged my behind. Not a smart and long-lasting design.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=35534]ripto[/MENTION] is it the same feeling in the passenger seat, or the back seat?
Curious if the issue is just with the driver seat.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I only sat in one other Mustang that was I looking at purchasing. None others to compare the seats. But again, I only started to really notice this shortly after I bought the vehicle. Test drives I didn't notice it, which makes me think since they were brand new they were good but they sagged really quickly after that.

I sat in the back seats once. They felt fine but then again I had bigger issues with my head hitting the rear window. I am not concerned about the backseats.

The passenger seat feels better than the driver seat, but again, probably because no one uses it.

Sitting in a normal driving position, if I scoot myself forward, I feel worlds of padding on the next forward section, and if I push myself really back into the seat, I feel worlds of padding on that tiny strip at the rear, but there's just nothing on the normal section I sit on. This is with no tilt. If I add any tilt, it's just worse - a bigger valley for me to sit in. These seats bother my back on my 20 minute drive to work, I can't imagine a 2.5 hour drive.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
See if you can find a few used ones at a dealer to compare it with.

I'm 5'9", 160 lbs with an athletic build. I have 2800 miles now and have found the seats to be really great so far. I almost forget they are there.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
The seats are still bothering my back. I still think there is something wrong with them. That second to last stitched rectangle sinks quite a bit. Here is a picture of the stretch. The back is sagging too. Edit: I am only 150lbs too.
IMG_20180808_180045.jpg
Sponsored