Sponsored

2017 GT Prem. Rear end is stock and IMO dangerous - quick fix?

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
hi All, so I was doing 85 mph on the highway, tweaked the steering wheel to avoid a pothole and the damn rear end wobbled 3 times and I almost lost it.

Love the car when I got it but tightened the front end with the engine crossbar. The front is fine now.

But the rear continues to be a source of concern. What is the minimum to stop the rear end wobbling wen a quick correction on the highway is needed?

I've read the threads etc but I just can't go overboard and Steeda the hell out of the rear end right now

Thanks!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
BMR CB005 and a good alignment.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
hi All, so I was doing 85 mph on the highway, tweaked the steering wheel to avoid a pothole and the damn rear end wobbled 3 times and I almost lost it.

Love the car when I got it but tightened the front end with the engine crossbar. The front is fine now.

But the rear continues to be a source of concern. What is the minimum to stop the rear end wobbling wen a quick correction on the highway is needed?

I've read the threads etc but I just can't go overboard and Steeda the hell out of the rear end right now

Thanks!
How many miles on the car? A serious wobble I would peg towards bad shocks. It’s possible you had an awkward engagement of stability or traction control.

Reactions: A7X
OP
OP

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMR CB005 and a good alignment.
Thanks BmacIL that sounds like excellent advice. I'll get on it much appreciated

How many miles on the car? A serious wobble I would peg towards bad shocks. It’s possible you had an awkward engagement of stability or traction control.
Roadway 5.0 thanks. It's got 64,000 Km or almost 40,000 miles. The rear has always seemed a bit loosey-goosey but I'll talk to the dealer and check the shocks and ask about the traction control.

Thanks again guys

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Check the hubs for play and check your alignment for proper slight toe in at the rear, not just “in spec”.

that said, sudden twitchy inputs at high speeds will be more than the stock chassis tuning can take. Can happen in any car. Stiffer shocks really help, but where there’s a will, theres a way to disturb any car’s handling.

Reactions: A7X
OP
OP

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check the rear wheel bearings and make sure al of the suspension bolts (rear lower control arm bolts in particular) are tight. Either of these can cause a serious wobble.
I second this.
Check the hubs for play and check your alignment for proper slight toe in at the rear, not just “in spec”.

that said, sudden twitchy inputs at high speeds will be more than the stock chassis tuning can take. Can happen in any car. Stiffer shocks really help, but where there’s a will, theres a way to disturb any car’s handling.
Thanks All. Excellent advice.

Drive safe everyone
Sponsored