2017 Ford Mustang will outperform Chevy Camaro in every way

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayouDude82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500 HP
With an extra 30 HP and loads of torque over the Mustang, as well as more tech, I think GM feels justified in charging more. I suspect the weight will be similar to the Mustang. The performance will be quite a bit faster though, and that is what GM will be pushing. They may not mention Ring times, but they will be pushing the performance angle.

-T
It's only 20 HP, btw. 455-435 = 20

Will a 1SS be faster than a GT? It definitely should but not as much as some of the dolts on Camaro6 site are predicting. Probably about 2 to 3 tenths at most in the quarter and maybe less than 2 tenths if the weight of the 1SS comes in closer to 3800 lbs. Will is run low 12s all day with occasional hero runs into the 11s like some of predictions over there? Not impossible, but highly unlikely and rare unless runs are done in mine shaft air with a driver mod. Probably a consistent mid 12s (12.4-12.7) car with average DA and driver nonetheless.

Furthermore, IMO, the base 1SS will probably be just as fast around the track as a base GTPP. I still don't get why they think a base 1SS without MRC and with 245 run flats is going to be faster around the track than the outgoing 1LE that has track optimized suspension, 285 Goodyear F1 tires, and big brakes. I guess they believe anything big daddy GM tells them just like when Al O said they will be pleased with pricing. Only the biggest Camaro fanboys are pleased with it. Derp.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BayouDude82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500 HP
Here is the issue, the removed 133lbs from the BIW vs. the 5th Gen. The BIW is the platform. Sure, that's 133lbs lost and that's good... BUT, we see at least 100lbs of that coming back in LT1/Tremec and coolers alone. We got knee airbags, Infotainment, new electric seats, seatbelt bags...

The majority of their claimed 200lbs contained the 133lbs they lost in BIW. It doesn't matter if the 5th Gen was heavy, the LT1, Improved Tremec, Coolers, Airbags, Interior... all ate into that 133lbs rather quickly...

The IRS (25lbs lighter), new MacP (suppose to be slightly lighter, 5lbs total), 10lbs for the dash, maybe 20lbs for the panels and glass, maybe 10lbs for the rotors...

Exhaust? Probably heavier, especially the NPP. Driveshaft and halfs should be the same or heavier to deal with the new engine... Gas tank saved maybe 15lbs...

I just can't find the weight... because it's not there...

The same thing happened when the C7 Corvette came out. The structure lost weight, but all the losses were negated when it was contented up. Same thing is happening to the Camaro. The only reason it won't be 100 lbs heavier than the outgoing model like the C7 was is that it on a smaller and lighter Alpha platform. Throw the new SS powertrain and new content into the old Zeta Camaro and you're well over 4000lbs for a base model.

Cobra Commander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Procharged Magnetic GT
I'm not sure the weight loss is worth it. I don't think I could live with that much aluminum and "composite" in my chassis and suspension parts. Seems a little sketchy to me.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
BIW isn't the platform.
Um... The platform is part of the BIW. If a platform is heavy, it contributes to a majority of the BIW weight. The platform would be the front section, rear section, floor, tunnel, torque boxes, firewall/A pillar and B pillar cross member. Traditionally, platform and chassis mean the same thing, depends on the conversation. When I talk chassis, I usually think of the suspension sub-frames, mounting points and so on. A platform could mean everything under the roof or everything above the suspension.

Some refer to a platform as more of a scalable, global effort while a chassis is a one-off, specific application... I would consider each to be correct in some way.

The major loss was in the BIW which includes the platform but not the chassis (suspension).

In total, the 2016 Camaro lost 133lbs in the BIW (platform included) and maybe 25lbs in suspension. Maybe another 20lbs in panels and stationary glass...

The 5th Gen was extremely heavy and the 3 areas I listed above is exactly why. I see 180lbs there, maybe less.... The rotors will help but the calipers won't...

I can say that at least 133lbs is gone (according) and the 9lbs in the dash too. I heard the front and rear suspension was suppose to be lighter....

Yet I can show you 100lbs gain easy...

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Um... The platform is part of the BIW. If a platform is heavy, it contributes to a majority of the BIW weight. The platform would be the front section, rear section, floor, tunnel, torque boxes, firewall/A pillar and B pillar cross member. Traditionally, platform and chassis mean the same thing, depends on the conversation. When I talk chassis, I usually think of the suspension sub-frames, mounting points and so on. A platform could mean everything under the roof or everything above the suspension.

Some refer to a platform as more of a scalable, global effort while a chassis is a one-off, specific application... I would consider each to be correct in some way.

The major loss was in the BIW which includes the platform but not the chassis (suspension).

In total, the 2016 Camaro lost 133lbs in the BIW (platform included) and maybe 25lbs in suspension. Maybe another 20lbs in panels and stationary glass...

The 5th Gen was extremely heavy and the 3 areas I listed above is exactly why. I see 180lbs there, maybe less.... The rotors will help but the calipers won't...

I can say that at least 133lbs is gone (according) and the 9lbs in the dash too. I heard the front and rear suspension was suppose to be lighter....

Yet I can show you 100lbs gain easy...
The wheels are supposedly lighter as well. We can argue until we're both blue, but I'd rather wait until official wright numbers are released. I would assume in the next month or so? If it comes around the 3,700 mark (my guess give or take), it's going to be a problem for the sixth gen Mustang (as it should considering its thousands more).

Sponsored

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
The same thing happened when the C7 Corvette came out. The structure lost weight, but all the losses were negated when it was contented up. Same thing is happening to the Camaro. The only reason it won't be 100 lbs heavier than the outgoing model like the C7 was is that it on a smaller and lighter Alpha platform. Throw the new SS powertrain and new content into the old Zeta Camaro and you're well over 4000lbs for a base model.
But Chevy never said it lost weight as a whole. They said the structure was lighter, not the entire car. Chevy hasn't been afraid of saying that the sixth gen car will be at least 200 pounds lighter. There is a huge difference. The only question is can you trust what they're saying? I'm going to believe them, but at the same time, I want to see it for my self haha.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
But Chevy never said it lost weight as a whole. They said the structure was lighter, not the entire car. Chevy hasn't been afraid of saying that the sixth gen car will be at least 200 pounds lighter. There is a huge difference. The only question is can you trust what they're saying? I'm going to believe them, but at the same time, I want to see it for my self haha.

But fanboys interrupt as whole

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Same with people around here with the 6th gen. That doesn't reflect anything negative on GM or Ford for that matter.

I think everyone knew Mustang was going gain little weight from IRS to extra safety things Gov mandated. Just we hoped it wouldn't put it in Camaro range which it didn't

classicrockr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2LT/RS HYper Blue Convertible Camaro
Guys - is the MRC really worth the extra $1900?

I don't really want it, but everyone seems to be hyping it up as "worth the cost". Anyone ever have it before & have any recommendations?

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150

I don't really want it, but everyone seems to be hyping it up as "worth the cost". Anyone ever have it before & have any recommendations?
It has to be good if it's in the GT350 with TP or the 350r. Where are you getting $1900 as it's not even a Ford option?

classicrockr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2LT/RS HYper Blue Convertible Camaro
It has to be good if it's in the GT350 with TP or the 350r. Where are you getting $1900 as it's not even a Ford option?
I messed up - the main quote on C6 is $1695 for MRC.

I think any suspension in any car I've been in recently is just fine, so I don't see what the main advantage of MRC is. Hell, maybe I've just spent too much time in the Humvees & 7 ton trucks in Iraq & Afghanistan...lol

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I messed up - the main quote on C6 is $1695 for MRC.

I think any suspension in any car I've been in recently is just fine, so I don't see what the main advantage of MRC is. Hell, maybe I've just spent too much time in the Humvees & 7 ton trucks in Iraq & Afghanistan...lol
For 1,700 bucks its totally worth it. No question.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

Yep, for sure. Check the option box and never look back:D

Status
Not open for further replies.