trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I know my thoughts are an outlier on this forum comprised overwhelmingly of folks who live to modify but I’m a seasoned old fart who’s been around the block and seen a lot to prove my point.
And that's fine. I mean, I've drilled holes on my hood to put a scoop, I've flashed a very aggressive performance tune to the ECM, I put an aftermarket CAI and exhaust, I modified the suspension by changing the springs, i've messed with the car's programming using Forscan - I want to make this car "my own" and if that means voiding a warranty here or there, I'm ok with that. I recognize that some changes increase risk in operation and might shorten the life span of one thing or another, but again, part and parcel with modifying the cars. This module, for me, is totally worth any risks it poses in its operation. But like I said, I don't plan to be opening and closing the roof while moving unless I have to.
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I would buy the module just for the convenience of a single press of the button or unlatching the handle and having it go down.... I end up holding the button longer than I probably need to because I am leaning over my shoulder trying to make sure it's all the way down. I also like the idea of being able to do it quickly when running around town doing errands and maybe don't want to leave the top down. Also when getting in the car and pulling away slowly from a parking space I see no danger in putting the top down while rolling forward. It's not like I'm going to wait until I'm going 30mph or be putting the top down when there is a storm coming with strong winds. As long as this is used with common sense I see no risk of damaging anything with the top mechanism. I understand though why Ford made the stock mechanism restrictions.....the same reason that we have to have "caution, hot beverage" on a McDonalds coffee.....

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
People, I got us a discount!

"I’ve added a 5% off discount code (total 10% off of retail price) to the site with code “mustang6g”, which will be active until the end of October when purchased here: http://www.motivemods.com/Mods4Cars-Ford-smartTOP-p/m4c-sthffd2.htm"

For now seems limited to the month of October, but it's something.

Also, the following responses in regards to my suggestions for additional features:

Suggestion:
1. auto-up windows when top goes up
2. auto shift into track mode (now has option to auto shift into sports + mode)

Response:
1. Doesn’t work bc the command for window up isn’t part of the convertible controller so the canbus command isn’t there.
2. This is something we’ve tried but it wouldn’t recognize the command. However, it’s something we haven’t given up on yet and are continuing to work on.

So there's some hope as to #2 but it seems #1 is never happening :-(

Aggie96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Nice that they gave you a response! Seems like a great company. I need to go ahead and send them some of my ideas to see what they say.

I think everyone just needs to make a decision for themselves and stop worrying about bringing others to their decision. If you think the module isn't worth the risk, great, don't buy it. But there are many of us who do and really see no need to operate it over 5-10 mph, regardless of the slightest risk.

My use case is operating the top as I pull into or out of my parking spot. The funny thing is that I am sure people would even argue with me that I am operating my top too often. But frankly I don't care as I really don't want to burn my duff when I get back into the car. So I operate the car the way I see fit for my situation and enjoyment.

I'm the type that squeezes every ounce of joy out of my car, regardless of the mileage or wear and tear I put on it. This is a great car and begs to be enjoyed. If that means drilling holes in my interior for less wind noise and a longer top down season or burning out my top motor a couple of years early in 10 years so I get extra convenience, so be it. :sunglasses:

People, I got us a discount!

"I’ve added a 5% off discount code (total 10% off of retail price) to the site with code “mustang6g”, which will be active until the end of October when purchased here: http://www.motivemods.com/Mods4Cars-Ford-smartTOP-p/m4c-sthffd2.htm"

For now seems limited to the month of October, but it's something.

Also, the following responses in regards to my suggestions for additional features:

Suggestion:
1. auto-up windows when top goes up
2. auto shift into track mode (now has option to auto shift into sports + mode)

Response:
1. Doesn’t work bc the command for window up isn’t part of the convertible controller so the canbus command isn’t there.
2. This is something we’ve tried but it wouldn’t recognize the command. However, it’s something we haven’t given up on yet and are continuing to work on.

So there's some hope as to #2 but it seems #1 is never happening :-(

Last edited:

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert
Just installed my module. I love the one touch operation. I didn't set my speed to max, I set it to ~19 mph. Not that I will be using it at that speed. It is just nice to know I can if I need to.

Sponsored

djtomy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
17 vert GB GT cali Ed. Roush SC
Can you use it to open with the key Fob? On a manual will it still hold sport setting when turned off? That discount code expired... :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I'm sure they'll do another one if you ask for it.

To answer your question - no. Our cars require that you twist the lock/unlock latch. No module can bypass that since it's a big physical obstacle, not an electronic one. What you can do, which is what I have done, is set it so once you unlatch the top, it does everything automatically from there. Windows go down, top goes down - all without touching anything. But you do have to unlatch it manually. To close it, you press button once and windows come down (if they were up) and top comes up all without having to hold the button - but then you have to manually latch it close. And you have to put up the windows if you want - there is no way (yet) to automate them going up. I asked.

djtomy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure they'll do another one if you ask for it.

To answer your question - no. Our cars require that you twist the lock/unlock latch. No module can bypass that since it's a big physical obstacle, not an electronic one. What you can do, which is what I have done, is set it so once you unlatch the top, it does everything automatically from there. Windows go down, top goes down - all without touching anything. But you do have to unlatch it manually. To close it, you press button once and windows come down (if they were up) and top comes up all without having to hold the button - but then you have to manually latch it close. And you have to put up the windows if you want - there is no way (yet) to automate them going up. I asked.
I see that it holds the driving mode function, that works on the manual cars as well? so its worth it? are you going to switch yours over from 1 vert to the other? or buy another one?

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I'm not sure how it works with manual cars, I've only dealt with the autos. That function works well, although i'd prefer to go to Track Mode than Sport+ mode, but oh well. I switched most things from one car to the other. That being one of the things. It's a very easy install/removal process, only needing a plastic trim removal tool. No reason to leave nearly $300 worth of equipment behind. I didn't even have to switch the programming. Just direct swap from one to the other. It has been working fine for multiple weeks now.

djtomy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
"I’ve extended the coupon until end of November. Please let the fellow forum members know.

Best Regards,

MotiveMods

2691 E Hacienda Ave

Las Vegas, NV 89120"

Coupon Code mustang6g

till end of November 2018

Sponsored

LOEzell

OldME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Convertible
Some people have asked for a video showing the smartTOP module being used. Here's a quickie I had my wife record after we did some burn out photos.

In it you see two things 1) one touch to close and 2) closing while driving. I've tested both closing and opening while driving, works great. I set it for the max speed the smartTOP module allows, which I think is slightly over 30mph but I don't remember exactly. The one touch is so natural, should have been like that from the start. I also have enabled the auto-down, so one second after I unlatch the roof, windows and roof come down (while driving!). It just makes the entire process feel like what one would have expected from the factory.

Let me know if you have questions.

EDIT:
WE NOW HAVE A MANUFACTURER DISCOUNT FOR THE FORUM!
Does the module work for a 2018 GT Convert? I looked up the installation instructions and they look pretty formidable. How long do you think is would take a reasonably able "hacker" to install it? Thanks in advance for you help.

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Honestly, I'm not sure. I would think so, but I think you might want to ask them. They are very responsive and easy to talk to. Their website says 2014+, I think they meant to say 2015+, so maybe it should work. I don't think the convertible mechanism has received any changes, so again, maybe. The installation itself is actually very straightforward. A lot of steps and paperwork involved, but it's really just pulling a bunch of plastic pieces, the bottom of the rear seats, and unplugging a cable and plugging it into this module. The whole thing takes less than 15 minutes and you use no tools at all - maybe a plastic trim tool (makes it easier). So don't be discouraged by what seems like complex installation instructions. It's very easy. I would worry more about it being incompatible with your car. Shoot them an email is my recommendation.

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
I had a smart top for my eos, was a pretty cool device although one day I sat on my key fob and accidentally activated my remote down top feature during a slushy snowstorm. Had to gut the interior to dry it out...so I'm fine the Mustang top isn't fully auto :p
I'm often at a light trying to lower my top when traffic starts to move and then it's stuck partial up or down when I roll away over 3mph because I'm getting honked at. I don't think that's safe for the mechanism. I think if I could start it as I'm slowly rolling to a stop or slowly rolling away would make a huge difference since it's such a slow mechanism. Even keeping it to a 10mph restriction would be great and can't imagine would be dangerous unless it's blustery out. Auto sports + mode is worth the price of admission itself though imho.

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
Just got mine for Christmas, even if the promo is over they sell on ebay for 284 with free shipping. Looks very well designed, I love how you can program it by either connecting to a laptop before/after installing or using sync 3. Very well written manual, they suggest seeking out smooth surfaces before operating at speed (I set mine to 13mph) and are very clear about how to proceed should you ever have an issue with the top or need to have dealer service performed for any other reason. I noticed in the manual that once top operates it will continue even if you exceed the speed limit (you can cancel operation though). Smarter than Ford's method of having you drive with a half cocked top lol.
Excited to install tomorrow, it's not top down weather in the northeast but looking forward to the auto sport mode. I'm very lazy, could never have been bothered to always fiddle with the mode switch every time I started!

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Glad to hear it's working out for you. I love mine and it definitely gets put to use every day with the top up/down and auto-shift. Worth it.
Sponsored