2016 mustang gt smoking

Romclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roderick
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
So I bought my 2016 mustang gt from a ford dealership last year after my prior car got flooded, and I’ve been having this issue for a while now. Each time I do a cold start white smoke comes out of the exhaust like in the video. I know it’s not coolant and the car did come with an aftermarket roush cat back on it. I’m debating about taking it to the ford dealership since I have warranty on it.

Car is pretty much factory other than catback and it’s has 54k miles.
Sponsored

Last edited:

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
If you know it's not coolant based on color or smell, then smoke on startup only is from worn valve guide seals in my experience.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, looks like oil pooling in one of the cylinders. Next step is to pull all the spark plugs and see if any of them look different/oily.

OP
OP

Romclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roderick
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Yea just pulled the second spark plug from the back on the driver side, not good news.
FC2223D2-8542-4974-A4D7-5F3D847EBD32.jpeg
71451DF8-24AA-4040-BDA9-FC03126AAC43.jpeg
4D1F7426-C6C7-4FCF-8BD2-E2435C4A6B6B.jpeg

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Unfortunate for sure. You'll most likely have to pull that head and have it reconditioned by a trustworthy shop.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Romclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roderick
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Unfortunate for sure. You'll most likely have to pull that head and have it reconditioned by a trustworthy shop.
This should be covered by ford warranty right? I have the extended Ford premium care Package.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This should be covered by ford warranty right? I have the extended Ford premium care Package.
Oh yeah, for sure it will be. I'd just put that plug back in as is and give it to them. Show them the video and the picture of what you found.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This should be covered by ford warranty right?
It depends. Just pray the previous owner didn't tune the car. Or worse; had a supercharger at some point. Or some other traceable engine modification. That's why it's a gamble to buy these cars used. But you certainly don't lose anything by trying. Just specify in writing that you do not authorize even a penny in diagnostic or repairs without your consent, to avoid any nasty surprises. Good luck, and keep us posted.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
If dealership sold you the extended warranty then its their puppy...don't beat around the bush either..tell them which plug is oil soaked..you were concerned so you checked it out to see if it was warranty work..

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It depends. Just pray the previous owner didn't tune the car. Or worse; had a supercharger at some point. Or some other traceable engine modification. That's why it's a gamble to buy these cars used. But you certainly don't lose anything by trying. Just specify in writing that you do not authorize even a penny in diagnostic or repairs without your consent, to avoid any nasty surprises. Good luck, and keep us posted.
The last person on here who had this exact problem had a tune and the dealer didn't even check, just did it under warranty.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Romclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roderick
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
They told me that I didn’t need to show them anything. It will be up to a week before they looks at it though smh. Gotta pay for a rental until the diagnose it then they cover 10 days worth.

OP
OP

Romclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roderick
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Update: I don’t know what all was damaged or defective, but ford is giving me a new engine.

OP
OP

Romclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roderick
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Does anyone know how long an engine replacement takes via ford warranty? I assume it’s going to be a while because of Covid.