2015 v6 ECM swap . decoding ECM

Mustang5555

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
j
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang 3.7 auto
Hi, I have a 2015 v6 auto. I bought the car as a project and the ECM got lost when I cleaned out my garage. Dealership wants $750 for a new one plus $250 per key fob and $ for reprograming my car. So I want to buy a used ECM and get PATS disabled by parts farm for $300. The dealership said the correct ecm will be FL3Z-12A650-BEBNP AND FR3Z-12A650-ESB. What does the "Z" in FRZ3 stand for? He said those were the engineering numbers and they need to match my car. Tons of mustang v6 ecm on ebay but none with those exact engineering numbers. I would rather not spend $1500 at the dealership to fix this. I attached a pic of one that is from my same mustang year and v6 but its a convertible, to give an example.
Screenshot_20221202-110631~2.png
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mustang5555

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
j
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang 3.7 auto
So it looks like Im gonna buy the ECM from tascaparts.com for $490 + $100 core but I have a core with slightly different part number. Or should I get it from dealership?

I dont wanna pay $500 for two keys. Can I just buy used OEM keys from ebay or something and get them programmed by parts farm or dealership? I see them on ebay for around $100 each.

The screen shot is from tasca website. I never heard of them. do you think its a genuine ford part? If its not I will just buy the $750 ecm from the dealership.
Screenshot_20221205-123742~2.png

OP
OP

Mustang5555

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
j
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang 3.7 auto
I bought a ECM for $300 brand new on ebay. Its FR3Z-12A650-CANP. Hopefully the dealer doesnt have any issue programming it. I still need to buy two keys.

Maybe this info will help someone that needs an ECU for their mustang. I will update after I get it taken to the dealership.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes, TASCA is a genuine Ford Dealership; they've been around many many years and have been involved with Ford sponsored Drag Racing and Ford sponsored performance builds for longer than some folks on this forum have been alive...

TASCA is responsible for the famous 428 Cobra Jet for those that don't know that part of Mustang history.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/archived/tasca-ford/

---

As for your other concerns or questions, yes the Ford Part #'s can change mid way through production changes and/or revisions to the actual part brought on by Vendor/Supplier improvements. The same is true with the Engineering number.

The only true way to know what PCM will work is you should supply your VIN # to the Ford Dealership Service Center and they should provide you with the correct Ford # or part. It seems someone did give you that info based on your first post - was it a Dealership and did they give you the part # based on your VIN?

There shouldn't be much worry with finding a S550 V6 PCM, as there was only (1) V6 and its production run was very short. It's not like there were multiple V6 platforms or PCM software variances based on the platform (ie: GT, GTPP, GTPP2, Bullitt, Mach 1, GT350, etc etc)...

Yes you may see that the Ford Part # and Engineering # have some revisions, but all in all the S550 V6 - there was only a single platform for it and 1 type of PCM.

I can't recall, but if you hit the Ford Motorcraft site to where you can get your As Built info (which is based on your VIN), I think within that data dump the PCM info and/or calibration info may exist. Again I have not used the site in a bit, but maybe others can chime in for that aspect.

OP
OP

Mustang5555

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
j
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang 3.7 auto
So i bought a new in the box ECM from ebay, says FL3Z-12A650-CANP on box but the ECM says FL3A-12B684-BEB so I guess fuck the parts numbers. So tired of playing ECM games. I will try to get a locksmith to come out and make me 2 keys. If they cant get the keys to work Im going to flatbed it to the dealership.
IMG_20221220_133021_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: