2015 Mustang GT vs. 2014 Corvette C7

Turrizm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I thought I would start a thread to talk about the differences between the two cars from those of us who own or have driven both...

Here are my observations... I own a 2014 Corvette Z-51 Manual, and a 2015 Mustang GT Auto...

1. Appearance: I'd say the Vette has a slightly more exotic appearance and gets more attention where I live. I think however, once I drop the Mustang and do something with the spoiler, I'll probably prefer the appearance of the Mustang over the Vette.
  2. Ride: For many reasons, I prefer the ride of the Mustang over that of the Vette. A bit more comfortable suspension. Corvette's seats are better however, more comfortable. But the Mustang is more fun and much easier to drive in general.
  3. Acceleration: Well the vette is faster, by quite a bit, but driving them both, it seems like there is not that much of a difference (stock vs stock). But investing about $6500 in both cars and you'll have about 600 rwhp in both, which would make them both very fast, but the vette is lighter.
  4. Gas Mileage: Yes, this is kind of important to me, and the vette wins this category hands down. You can do 28+ mpg on the highway easy, and the gas tank is larger so you can get 400+ miles per tank easy. I wish all cars had huge tanks.
  5. Fun Factor: Mustang...
  6. Long Trips: I would say the vette is a bit more comfortable on long trips because of the seats, but the stang might be a bit more fun, and practical.
  7. Mods: You can supercharge a vette for pretty cheap, which I love, but you can supercharge a stang for about the same, and every other mod is probably cheaper on the stang, and more options. I would give the stang the nod in this category.
  8. Pricing: Ok this is easy. The stang wins by about $25k for roughly same features.
  9. Convenience Features: I'll give this category to the stang. It has blind spot indicators, which the vette needs more than any other car I've ever driven. Chevy really dropped the ball on leaving out this feature. However the stereo in the vette is much better than the shaker pro. Much better. Very disappointed with the shaker pro, to the point I think mine is defective.

Would be curious to hear other folks perspectives on these two cars. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
Very interesting to hear, as i was considering the C7 for a period of time before i ordered my '15 GT. I just couldn't justify buying a vette as my everyday car while living in NYC. The roads would destroy the C7. Plus, as a matter of principle I despise GM.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I also own a C7 and a S550.

My cars:

2014 C7 Z51, Manual, Comp seats, MSRC suspension, exposed carbon roof, Nav, etc. Loaded

2015 GT, Manual, Perf Pack, AP package, Nav, 401A, rear sensing, security package.

My comments to your observations in bold:

I thought I wkould start a thread to talk about the differences between the two cars from those of us who own or have driven both...

Here are my observations... I own a 2014 Corvette Z-51 Manual, and a 2015 Mustang GT Auto...

1. Appearance: I'd say the Vette has a slightly more exotic appearance and gets more attention where I live. I think however, once I drop the Mustang and do something with the spoiler, I'll probably prefer the appearance of the Mustang over the Vette.
    My Mustang is my DD and I like it a lot, but I still like the C7 looks better.
  2. Ride: For many reasons, I prefer the ride of the Mustang over that of the Vette. A bit more comfortable suspension. Corvette's seats are better however, more comfortable. But the Mustang is more fun and much easier to drive in general.
    I have the opposite feeling here. Do you have MSRC on your C7? The ride on mine is light years better than the Perf Pack on the Mustang.
  3. Acceleration: Well the vette is faster, by quite a bit, but driving them both, it seems like there is not that much of a difference (stock vs stock). But investing about $6500 in both cars and you'll have about 600 rwhp in both, which would make them both very fast, but the vette is lighter.
    I can feel the extra weight and lacking HP in the Mustang. the couple hundred pounds and roughly 40 HP can be noticed.
  4. Gas Mileage: Yes, this is kind of important to me, and the vette wins this category hands down. You can do 28+ mpg on the highway easy, and the gas tank is larger so you can get 400+ miles per tank easy. I wish all cars had huge tanks.
    Agreed completely. My GT is still breaking in, but with the 3.73's the best I'm getting yet it 19 MPG.
  5. Fun Factor: Mustang...
    Corvette for fun, but the Mustang is easier to drive around daily.
  6. Long Trips: I would say the vette is a bit more comfortable on long trips because of the seats, but the stang might be a bit more fun, and practical.
    To me they are kind of a wash, the C7 cargo space is easier to get to with the hatch, but they are comparable. I would rather park the Mustang in a hotel parking lot though.
  7. Mods: You can supercharge a vette for pretty cheap, which I love, but you can supercharge a stang for about the same, and every other mod is probably cheaper on the stang, and more options. I would give the stang the nod in this category.
  8. Pricing: Ok this is easy. The stang wins by about $25k for roughly same features.
  9. Convenience Features: I'll give this category to the stang. It has blind spot indicators, which the vette needs more than any other car I've ever driven. Chevy really dropped the ball on leaving out this feature. However the stereo in the vette is much better than the shaker pro. Much better. Very disappointed with the shaker pro, to the point I think mine is defective.
    Pretty much agreed on the rest. The blind spots on the C7 take really well setup mirrors and a little faith. :) The Chevy Mylink system is better than the Sync with MFT in the 401A package and the Mylink system is underpowered and a little slow to respond to input. It's no wonder why Ford is shopping for the replacement.

Would be curious to hear other folks perspectives on these two cars. :thumbsup:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I also own a C7 and a S550.

My cars:

2014 C7 Z51, Manual, Comp seats, MSRC suspension, exposed carbon roof, Nav, etc. Loaded

2015 GT, Manual, Perf Pack, AP package, Nav, 401A, rear sensing, security package.

My comments to your observations in bold:
This is great to see both of your perspectives. I keep seeing praise thrown out for GM's MRC. Would love to have an opportunity to see how it feels in action. That's a huge ace for GM to hold onto with all of their performance cars.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Turrizm

Turrizm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I prefer ford quality to that of Chevy. But one thing terrible about the vette is road noise.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I prefer ford quality to that of Chevy. But one thing terrible about the vette is road noise.
Ditch the run flat tires.

When I went to non-RF pilot super sports on my C6 Grand Sport the car got MUCH quieter. I plan to do the same on my C7 when these wear a little more.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
I think its cool to see the comparison. Comparing a car that a company's HALO sports car with an entry price of 55k vs a multipurpose pony car that starts at 23k with a V6 from a performance perspective is probably a bridge to far. Even if you just use the chassis as a point of reference the design an implementation between the two cars is in a different universes...

I definitely feel the Mustang is a more livable car as a DD and to be honest Im really surprised you guys have both cars..Thats very cool and thanks for the info!

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think its cool to see the comparison. Comparing a car that a company's HALO sports car with an entry price of 55k vs a multipurpose pony car that starts at 23k with a V6 from a performance perspective is probably a bridge to far. Even if you just use the chassis as a point of reference the design an implementation between the two cars is in a different universes...

I definitely feel the Mustang is a more livable car as a DD and to be honest Im really surprised you guys have both cars..Thats very cool and thanks for the info!
:thumbsup:

I mentioned it in another thread somewhere, but it really is hard to compare them, as it should be with the price difference. If they were really, really close there would be no reason for me to keep the C7, but there's no chance that I would give it up and only keep the Mustang.

Not that the Mustang isn't good at what is is supposed to do, but it is in another class. The Mustang + PP is less sure-footed and more bouncy in corners than the Z51 + MSRC. Also, the Mustang likes to spin the inside tire more often under sharp cornering where the e-diff in the C7 keeps that locked down unless you are really pushing it. The Mustang has a different kind of smile factor, but it's still there and larger than life.

Corvettes were always my aspiration when I was younger, so it feels great to be able to have purchased them. On the other side, Mustangs are what I grew up in so I have a lot of feelings for them. My parents had a '67 and my first 3 cars were a '65 K car, an '88 GT convertible and then I picked up a '67 289 coupe. The S550 really reminds me of my '67 when I am behind the wheel.

In my opinion they are completely different cars with different purposes and both are excellent at achieving their goal.

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
You said the Mustang has a better fun factor, but you didn't explain. I would have though the Vette would be way more fun considering that it is lighter and a true sports car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Turrizm

Turrizm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You said the Mustang has a better fun factor, but you didn't explain. I would have though the Vette would be way more fun considering that it is lighter and a true sports car.
Ok, great questions. I'll explain why the Mustang has a bit more fun factor for me in most driving situations (my vette is supercharged, so of course if I want to act like a fool, burn up tires and show off, I can get in the vette and do that)... But here is what I mean:

1. Throttle calibration:
    The throttle / accelerator is calibrated perfectly in the Mustang. It has a light feel to it, and you can easily get the perfect amount of acceleration that you want in a predictable fashion. And it feels great! In the vette, the throttle has a totally different feel to it, like you have to give it alot of throttle to go as you expect, and then you accidently give it too much throttle and your going to fast. It doesnt have the same great predictable feel as the mustang. Mustang feels faster around town in normal speeds but of course this is not the case...
  2. Transmission:
    Ok, so the vette is a 7 speed manual, and my mustang is the 6 speed auto. Not a fair comparison, but the automatic gives me that old school muscle car feeling, when we used to have a 3 speed automatic tranny but plenty of power. Makes the car easier to drive and more fun for the most part. The transmissions shifts quite well in the stang. The 7 speed is sort of a lot of work to select the right gear for normal driving. But I would not have ordered that car with an auto, never.
  3. Suspension:
    The suspension in the mustang feels a bit better for me, maybe because I went without the magnetic ride feature in the vette, but it makes for a more plesant ride in general.
  4. Aggressive driving fun:
    Ok so the vette is like scarey fast and so far has been pretty predictable, but that slight bit of fear of going too fast too quick is present in the mind, so I would not call that as FUN as driving the stang which has more of a predictable nature when driving aggressive so far, I have not pushed either car to the limit, but I don't know, I am just enjoying the mustang a bit more than the vette in normal driving scenarios. Vette does get way more attention and people try to "race" me all the time, but I guess they just want to see me take off :lol:

kws6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Ok, great questions. I'll explain why the Mustang has a bit more fun factor for me in most driving situations (my vette is supercharged, so of course if I want to act like a fool, burn up tires and show off, I can get in the vette and do that)... But here is what I mean:

1. Throttle calibration:
    The throttle / accelerator is calibrated perfectly in the Mustang. It has a light feel to it, and you can easily get the perfect amount of acceleration that you want in a predictable fashion. And it feels great! In the vette, the throttle has a totally different feel to it, like you have to give it alot of throttle to go as you expect, and then you accidently give it too much throttle and your going to fast. It doesnt have the same great predictable feel as the mustang. Mustang feels faster around town in normal speeds but of course this is not the case...
  2. Transmission:
    Ok, so the vette is a 7 speed manual, and my mustang is the 6 speed auto. Not a fair comparison, but the automatic gives me that old school muscle car feeling, when we used to have a 3 speed automatic tranny but plenty of power. Makes the car easier to drive and more fun for the most part. The transmissions shifts quite well in the stang. The 7 speed is sort of a lot of work to select the right gear for normal driving. But I would not have ordered that car with an auto, never.
  3. Suspension:
    The suspension in the mustang feels a bit better for me, maybe because I went without the magnetic ride feature in the vette, but it makes for a more plesant ride in general.
  4. Aggressive driving fun:
    Ok so the vette is like scarey fast and so far has been pretty predictable, but that slight bit of fear of going too fast too quick is present in the mind, so I would not call that as FUN as driving the stang which has more of a predictable nature when driving aggressive so far, I have not pushed either car to the limit, but I don't know, I am just enjoying the mustang a bit more than the vette in normal driving scenarios. Vette does get way more attention and people try to "race" me all the time, but I guess they just want to see me take off :lol:
Can you post your comments in corvetteforum ?....It would be entertaining to read the responses....:lol:

OP
OP
Turrizm

Turrizm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Can you post your comments in corvetteforum ?....It would be entertaining to read the responses....:lol:
Hahaha! Yea, that would be intertaining. But I bet there would be mixed responses, as many of us that spent $60k on a car, that was pushing it! My original intent in buying the Mustang was actually to replace the vette, but I'm gonna keep making the payments as long as the economy keeps doing good :D

But there would probably be some folks very interested in the Mustang. What other 2 door performance cars can you get for less than $65k with 400+ hp?

Threads
Reaction score
I am from the Corvette Forum. Are you guys on the CF? I want a new orange C7 to match my orange '72 350/4 speed Stingray. However I want a new S550 in DIB to match my 1970 428 CJ/tko600 Mustang in Acapulco Blue.

I have sat in C7s and loved them. I want one bad. But the price is...well..almost un justifiable as I can get 2 GT Premiums at around $37,000 each for the price of just 1 C7 Z51. So I love Corvettes, and I like Mustangs. I test drove the S550 and just fell in love with it. I didn't want to leave with out it as the one I drove had all that I wanted. So I know that I would love the C7, but for the price differences, and especially how much I love the S550...I can't see buying a C7..yet.

So in a way, I know exactly what you're talking about. My 1972 Corvette was my first car (not bad right?). The driving of the C3 is thrilling, challenging, and once you figure the car out...completely predictable. It is a challenge, but it is easy once you master it. The first gen '70 Mustang...well it used to be set up for drag use with an 871 blower and built suspension. Now it is a little more "street able"...but not quite. Simply put, it's brutal. It is a monster big block, 2 more gears, solid axle, brakes are not as great as a stock C3 and the Mustang's been upgraded. My mustang has power steering and the Vette has manual steering. Personally, power steering is nice at low speeds, but IMO I like manual steering at higher speeds as it is predictable.

Anyways, I can't part with either car as they are just too much fun. In each car, there are serious pros and cons, but it kind of makes the car. Anyways, long story short is that both cars are unlimited fun. At times one car can be more fun than the other. As far as fuel tanks go, the C3 has a 25-30 gallon tank and the Mustang has a 22 gallon tank. Thats good, but with less than 10 MPG....the fun fades when you see the bill for premium fuel + octane booster. I'm a pilot and sometimes I put 100LL in the cars and wow....its like throwing gas on a fire. Huge difference. But the price is just crazy.

Any pictures of your C7s with your S550s?

OP
OP
Turrizm

Turrizm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'll take a couple pics this evening of them both.
Sponsored