Sponsored

2015 MT-82 Gets stiff when hot, anyone fitted a cooler or heat sheild?

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
I am still having some issues with my 2015 MT-82 (w/ Ford Racing Short Shifter).

It was 85 degrees today, and after driving to work (at a normal pace/RPMs), my shifter gets so sticky and hard to shift that it really takes the fun out of rowing my own gears, as soon as it gets some heat in it.

I have long tube headers, high flows cats, and a cat back that is essentially without any heat shielding between the exhaust and transmission.

Has anyone either fitted a cooler to the MT-82, or made a heat shield from the exhaust/headers? Has anyone had a similar experience when the transmission gets hot?

I put new fluid into the transmission (Synchroshift II), and it helped a little bit, no doubt. But my fluid is only two weeks old and now that it's getting hotter outside, it's getting stiff pretty quickly.

I have a bad feeling that something is broken inside the transmission, and I will end up having it torn apart, or replaced to make the car happy again. I've been pricing the Calimer MT-82s, and would even consider a Tremec.

Once I get this issue buttoned down, I'll be on my way to going to forced induction. But it's a painful pill to swallow that I need to replace my transmission for $5,000, right before ordering an $8k supercharger kit.
Sponsored

OP
OP
15GTPPinCO

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
At the time it went in for a clutch, I also added a short shifter. I had requested Barton, but Ford Racing and Steeda had terms with my shop, and I didn't expect a huge difference.

If a shifter fixes this, which is possible, then that saves me a ton of money.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
If a shifter fixes this, which is possible, then that saves me a ton of money.
MGW.
I don’t have one but the M6G endorsements are enough. I’ve trusted former member BmacIL on many recommendations and his advice is solid. Search his MGW posts, it’s time well spent !

OP
OP
15GTPPinCO

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
I went with an MGW shifter, as suggested by several members. The shifter should get here the beginning of next week, and then I am going to take it for an install, along with new suspension, plugs, coolant, brake fluid, oil.

I'm still considering oil pump gears for my 2nd gen Coyote. I had it to about 7800 RPM today with no issues, and it was SCREAMING with the long tubes, Steeda CAI, 2018+ manifold, and a custom PBD tune. I ran an 8.7 sec 1/8th with a 2.24 60-ft at 8500 DA, on an unprepared surface.

I'll keep the thread updated when we're done with this round of modifications. Next will be a supercharger, I just need the stock market to stay bullish for another 90 days!

J

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

RARRIK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Would a trans cooler help with the high rpm mt82 lockout issue?
If so what cooler exists and how/where should it be installed on the vehicle?

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Talk to this member, or look at his MT82D4 posts 1 is 15 pgs.

Member name : NGOT8R

He's interested in helping all things MT82
I myself, on the other hand. Cut bait & sold my Bullitt due to my disdain for the MT82D4.

Its not that bad a tranny, but it was never gonba meet our own expectations, after working w/professional grade components for a living, since 1988. Good luck đź‘Ť

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Heat is not causing your lockout. Misaligned body mount shifter is responsible. You can go with an aftermarket shifter or clutch and it should solve the problem. I have the stock shifter with a lpxhd clutch and no lockout since clutch install.

OP
OP
15GTPPinCO

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
I just wanted to follow up to my original problem in this thread. What was happening was that when the Ford Racing short shifter got hot (45 mins of driving), it would get EXTREMELY stiff, and I could push it from N all the way to the LEFT and have it just stick there, against spring tension between 1 and 2nd gear.

I took it to my mechanic and he could feel it, but had no idea WTF. We decided to change the trans fluid just because I had some and it's a cheap first step. Also was able to look for metal in the tranny, etc.

So, that was done, and the problem persisted.

After someone in this thread (THANK YOU) suggested getting a better shifter, I went to an MGW and the problem completely went away. That shifter is built like an aircraft part. Absolutely the finest craftsmanship that I have ever seen.

The crazy thing is that I was about to craft custom heatshields for the headers and downpipes, and THEN replace the transmission (and not with the damn Mt-82).

Summary:

Stock shifter - no issue
Ford Racing shifter - issues
MGW shifter - no issue and it's a pleasure to shift.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just wanted to follow up to my original problem in this thread. What was happening was that when the Ford Racing short shifter got hot (45 mins of driving), it would get EXTREMELY stiff, and I could push it from N all the way to the LEFT and have it just stick there, against spring tension between 1 and 2nd gear.

I took it to my mechanic and he could feel it, but had no idea WTF. We decided to change the trans fluid just because I had some and it's a cheap first step. Also was able to look for metal in the tranny, etc.

So, that was done, and the problem persisted.

After someone in this thread (THANK YOU) suggested getting a better shifter, I went to an MGW and the problem completely went away. That shifter is built like an aircraft part. Absolutely the finest craftsmanship that I have ever seen.

The crazy thing is that I was about to craft custom heatshields for the headers and downpipes, and THEN replace the transmission (and not with the damn Mt-82).

Summary:

Stock shifter - no issue
Ford Racing shifter - issues
MGW shifter - no issue and it's a pleasure to shift.
Glad to hear you got everything worked out your MT82 is shifting like butter now.

What kind of ET and MPH are you seeing in the 1/4 mile? Do you thing your aftermarket clutch was contributor for a better ET and MPH over the factory clutch?

OP
OP
15GTPPinCO

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
I have a lot of variables in play. I moved from 5000Ft+ to 600Ft (keeping the same tune). If I ran it no prep at 5k ft, it was a 13.3-ish car. Running at a mile less altitude made a huge difference, and I ran a 12.7 at 600ft, no tune change. I think that I could have gone faster. 0-60 was in the 4.0 range, I’ll see if I can dig it up.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
The crazy thing is that I was about to craft custom heatshields for the headers and downpipes,
If you’re running a true 304 stainless steel exhaust system the heat shields would’ve had a minimal impact on mitigating heat migration. 300 series stainless steel is an excellent material for retaining heat inside the tubing. 300 series SS heat retention is as effective as ceramic coating on mild steel headers…..

OP
OP
15GTPPinCO

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
If you’re running a true 304 stainless steel exhaust system the heat shields would’ve had a minimal impact on mitigating heat migration. 300 series stainless steel is an excellent material for retaining heat inside the tubing. 300 series SS heat retention is as effective as ceramic coating on mild steel headers…..
Ya, I believe that was a red herring, because what else would cause things to bind, but ONLY after 45 mins of stop and go driving. I still cannot figure out what the actual problem was. Ford's shifter swelling from the heat? lube rubbing off?
Sponsored