2015 blue smoke on decel and hard accel

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I was wondering if it wouldnt be applicable to 18+'s due to different valve covers and oil pan design, in case I did decide to track it
I bet ford solved this on the Gen 3 motors (18-20). Report back after you have a few track days with TRACK tires.
Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I was wondering if it wouldnt be applicable to 18+'s due to different valve covers and oil pan design, in case I did decide to track it
It is certainly possible that it is fixed on the 18s and for what it's worth, throughout my track experience I have yet to see an 18 with this problem... in fact, I have a buddy with a late build 17 that doesn't seem to have the problem at all and he runs an almost identical setup as me... 305 NT01, 1.2g+, and similar driving skill as well.

If you decide to track it, I would certainly recommend getting catch cans for BOTH passenger and driver sides... and if you get quite a bit of oil in the driver can, than it is a sign that there may be a problem. That is one thing I wish I did when I had first started... if I would have had a driver side catch can when I started tracking, I would have noticed the problem a LOT sooner.

GTF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Race Red
Guys,

I’m installing the driver’s side valve cover on my 2016 GT PP and noticed it didn’t come with the PCV tube or breather tube ( not sure how to call it). Do you guys just transferred it from the old valve cover to the new one? If yes, How do you take it out?
Thanks a lot guys! This forum helped resolve my track issues!

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
Guys,

I’m installing the driver’s side valve cover on my 2016 GT PP and noticed it didn’t come with the PCV tube or breather tube ( not sure how to call it). Do you guys just transferred it from the old valve cover to the new one? If yes, How do you take it out?
Thanks a lot guys! This forum helped resolve my track issues!
Yes. Just put a wrench on the hex at its base and unscrew it.

Sponsored

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Just an update on the GT500 valve cover - they fit perfectly, exactly like stock including all the tabs for mounting the zip tie wire clips. I thought it was interesting that they are held onto the head with about twice as many bolts as the stock covers. Not sure why the plastic covers don't utilize all the inserts in the head.

Need to wait about a month until I go to AMP again to confirm they solve the issue.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I feel like these covers quieted down the engine a bit. I noticed it immediately on start up. There's a lot going on in the valve train on these cars and I think the thick aluminum covers insulate that a bit. That's a nice side effect.

IMG_8496.jpg
IMG_8506.jpg

Hi Lostotter,

I had leaking Valve gasket seal issues this last weekend whilst on track at VIR. Some dripping of oil onto the manifold and down the rear of the engine. Especially when hard right cornering, exhibiting a puff of blue smoke from the underside of the car. I had NO oil in the DS catch can.. :(

We hand tightened all the bolts on the DS cover, which was a temporary fix at the track..
Now - to fix the sealing issue and the followup. Looking at this thread - I have decided to buy the Aluminum covers and replace both sides, including all new bolts and gaskets.

A couple of questions:
Did the cover fix all your issues..?
Any tips for the Install..?

PM me if you can offer any advice.

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Hi Lostotter,

I had leaking Valve gasket seal issues this last weekend whilst on track at VIR. Some dripping of oil onto the manifold and down the rear of the engine. Especially when hard right cornering, exhibiting a puff of blue smoke from the underside of the car. I had NO oil in the DS catch can.. :(

We hand tightened all the bolts on the DS cover, which was a temporary fix at the track..
Now - to fix the sealing issue and the followup. Looking at this thread - I have decided to buy the Aluminum covers and replace both sides, including all new bolts and gaskets.

A couple of questions:
Did the cover fix all your issues..?
Any tips for the Install..?

PM me if you can offer any advice.
They seemed to work for me. I've only tracked the car twice with the new covers. I was previously having the oil ingestion issue on a particular right hander with my 285/35R19 Conti ECS tires, but no issues on that same track the last time I went with new 305/30R19 RS-4 tires mounted on 19x11" wheels and I was definitely cornering a bit harder than I had previously. No more smoke or weird things. I had other unrelated massive issues, but the covers themselves are great and worked to control oil much better.

The install is pretty simple. I suggest using a shop vac to clean up the area all around the intake manifold, injectors, and valve covers to prevent anything from falling in. There are lots of little spaces that trap debris. Use a dab of RTV where the factory did at the joint between the heads and front timing cover. And on final install, try to wiggle the cover into position without the bottom touching anything and then lower it square onto the head. The gasket is pretty snug in the cover but any sideways motion can peel it out easily.

The GT500 covers came with new hardware and gaskets.

want2race441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm installing the updated cam cover. Noticed my dipstick port is not compatible. What is the part number in looking for?

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I'm installing the updated cam cover. Noticed my dipstick port is not compatible. What is the part number in looking for?
What year and what engine size do you have?

want2race441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
What year and what engine size do you have?
I'm putting the updated cover on an '11 with Coyote. My old oil dipstick tube presses in and locks in with for fingers. The new cover is different. I'm thinking about trying the GT350 version.
Sponsored