Sponsored

2015-2017 Premium vs. base rear bumper

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
Is the premium bumper cover 2 pieces? In the sense of is the black lower extension section a separate piece?

I have a base GT and would love to get the more aggressive premium rear bumper look without having to get a entire cover and paint....

Thanks!
Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Yessir that is correct. Rear bumper and lower valience are two separate parts. Some aftermarket companies offer custom valiences that bolt up to the stock premium bumper.

someone backed into my bumper and put a small dent in my base. Going to replace it with premium when I get around to it.

OP
OP

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great has anyone installed the separate stock premium black piece on a base bumper?

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I'm no expert on the subject but I think I may have read somewhere that the premium uses a 2 piece bumper cover but the base uses a single piece or that the base is divided in a different place. I seem to remember a post about somebody doing the upgrade you want to do, but their base bumper cover required some sort of surgery to make it happen.
Like I said, I may be wrong, but this is the internet so others have a moral obligation to let me know if I am mistaken. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will respond soon. In the meantime, perhaps look for a tutorial on how to modify a base bumper. If I'm right about this, I'm sure there's a video out there to show you how it's done.

Sponsored

OP
OP

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Yeah I've been wanting that premium bumper for awhile but I'd probably get the Roush one so I can get duel tip exhaust.

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
Great has anyone installed the separate stock premium black piece on a base bumper?
It can be done, but the amount of work needed is crazy and the finish will not be perfect. I was going to attempt it, but the results would not be to my liking and so I'm going to go with a premium bumper as I have already bought the remaining components.
Sponsored