2015-2016 Tech Pack and Base GT350 Cooler Solution Discussion

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Highest i've seen on my coolerless less trackable Mustang ever built was 200degrees.
Will monitor tranny temp very closely this summer. Let's see if the BG synchroshiftII holds out better to heat.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Essex Wire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg
I'm sorry if this has already been made clear, but I can't really wade through the hundreds of posts on this, but:

Did we ever learn exactly why the Tech transmissions are overheating - either on or off the track? I know the heat build up is triggering software limp mode to protect the transmission. But, what exactly is causing the massive heat build up? I mean what's happening in our transmissions that is not happening in, say, a regular Mustang GT's transmission -- that can run perfectly well on track without coolers?

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
I'm sorry if this has already been made clear, but I can't really wade through the hundreds of posts on this, but:

Did we ever learn exactly why the Tech transmissions are overheating - either on or off the track? I know the heat build up is triggering software limp mode to protect the transmission. But, what exactly is causing the massive heat build up? I mean what's happening in our transmissions that is not happening in, say, a regular Mustang GT's transmission -- that can run perfectly well on track without coolers?
Revs to the moon and proximity of cats to tranny. Then again, some are seeing overheating while not running high RPMs, and the GT has cats close to the tranny as well.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I don't really think the cats are the issue as someone on here went catless to no avail.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

My assumption is that it has a lot to do with the way the car manages airflow, but also the heat from the exhaust and high revs. I can tell you when the engine is spinning at higher revs the transmission heats up quickly. This is true even if the car is just cruising at higher revs - which shouldn't produce as much exhaust heat as high load with high revs combined. Like most problems, the root cause isn't any single factor, but a combination.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
I also wonder if the GT has trans temp sensor and if so where is it located. On the GT350 it is in the aluminum body of the trans, not actually touching fluid. I imagine it is a good representation of the actual fluid temp though as aluminum conducts heat well and would transmit the high temp to the fluid and vice versa. Just a thought. If this thing had an unlimited powertrain warranty I would simply unplug the temp sensor and be done with it, lol. No more limp, Ford can eat it.

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Highest i've seen on my coolerless less trackable Mustang ever built was 200degrees.
Will monitor tranny temp very closely this summer. Let's see if the BG synchroshiftII holds out better to heat.
I'm also going with that same BG II in the trans. when I change my engine oil tomorrow. I wish I was already able to monitor the tranny temps to have a base for comparison. It's somewhat strange to feel like I shouldn't explore the limits of my f..ing "track car", for fear of cooking a trans or busting an OPG.

P.S. FWIW, the more I hear "class action" suit, the better it looks. I used to be so much more litigious in my younger days!

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Track guys have witnessed 250 under sustained high RPM and speed. 220-230 is all I have seen even in 98ish degrees.
230 is my high temp mark so far also. This was in August on a road trip to Oklahoma averaging 90 mph. (top gear, low rpm). If I ever experience the dreaded "limp car that sounds fast" mode, I will stop driving it until fixed or sold. The safety aspect is much more a factor than most folks realize. Those of us who haul humans in the back seat catch my drift. Also, this other "fake" recall is delaying any real action on our cooler debacle.

:shrug:

Last edited:

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
The GT's don't have transmission temperature sensors on the trans or diff . . . This falls under the heading "What you don't know won't hurt you!"

Part of why this thread and this application is getting so blown out of proportion. the GT350 is not that different from most other applications in the arena of making heat. For years cars raced on the track with no temp sensors and everything was OK. Now all of the sudden we can monitor the temps and people think their transmissions are doomed while driving down the highway.

Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
The GT's don't have transmission temperature sensors on the trans or diff . . . This falls under the heading "What you don't know won't hurt you!"

Part of why this thread and this application is getting so blown out of proportion. the GT350 is not that different from most other applications in the arena of making heat. For years cars raced on the track with no temp sensors and everything was OK. Now all of the sudden we can monitor the temps and people think their transmissions are doomed while driving down the highway.
Good points. We never used to care, why now.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

One example is because of the dangers involved by going into limp mode on the highway with a young child in the back seat... see http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1745644&postcount=2527

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Because limp mode cuts power when you though is would be available

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
Putting the car in limp mode whether on track or on a street, especially on a highway puts you and others at risk. That's just not acceptable.

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
Do we even know the difference in the temps between the GT and the GT 350? These are 2 very different engines with different power, and different components, kinda tough to compare without some data to evaluate. Why is there a limp mode? Are the GT 350 capable of extreme temps that can cause other issues if not placed in limp? What if a track pack or R has a cooler failure does it go limp?
Sponsored