Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

03cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I read one say no warranty if dealership doesn't install it. Then still get warranty if ASE tech install it.
Sponsored

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Right! So...I was thinking/hoping the samething. That because the sticker that comes with the kit for the fuel fill area says 91 oct. and how they advertise that its CARB/CA compliant, that they post those conservative numbers and if you happen to live where there is 93 oct...all the better yeah?

I was just passing on info that I got from Ford Performance.

Interesting! He also told me that they just got some new info from development. That if for whatever reason you wanted the car de-tuned, i.e. Snow and ice, kid driving the car learning. That you could just put in 87 octane, drive it so it re- learns the lower octane, and later re-fuel with 93 and it would re- learn that Octane without having to touch the tune. Weird right?
Knock learn. This ecm can add or subtract up to 12* of timing so yes it can adjust itself somewhat which is why it's difficult compared to others to make more power on these with just a basic tune because one of the main ways basic tunes make more power is extra timing advance which this ecm does on its own to a point.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Knock learn. This ecm can add or subtract up to 12* of timing so yes it can adjust itself somewhat which is why it's difficult compared to others to make more power on these with just a basic tune because one of the main ways basic tunes make more power is extra timing advance which this ecm does on its own to a point.

Nothing new about cranking timing up use to do it with dist just now with computer

mike15gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So those numbers Ford Racing put out with PP2 are on 93 octane not 91? I know LMR used 93 and got higher numbers than advertised.
Is everyone forgetting that Ford themselves are getting our rated 435hp using 93 octane fuel?
In Alberta, Canada we only have 91 octane, with some stations having 94 which is high in ethanol.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Is everyone forgetting that Ford themselves are getting our rated 435hp using 93 octane fuel?
In Alberta, Canada we only have 91 octane, with some stations having 94 which is high in ethanol.

Most gas in U.S use 10% ethanol mix

Sponsored

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
Yes, it's all relative. If you are using at least 91 now, the PP2 should raise your hp about 21, from where it is now. So that is how it should be considered. If you are getting by on 87, changing to 91 will add some and PP2 should still boost you by 21 above that, give or take. It's all good! :cheers:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Okay, I'm back for another review after putting about 100 miles on the Power Pack 2.

Cliff notes: do not f'ing buy this garbage. I want a tune revision or my money back! My previous review a few posts up was after about, what, 5 miles? Well, here's what I'm experiencing now.

- 1st gear between stop lights in city traffic, if you let off the gas, the car jerks like a son of a bitch and since your foot is right by the gas pedal your foot taps it just enough to cause it to give gas again and so all of a sudden you end up in this unexpected, violent jerking cycle. Absolutely unacceptable.

- Often and unpredictable, it takes about a second or two after I lift off of the gas (clutch pedal all the way up...) for it to go into engine braking. So long, in fact, I CAN HIT THE BREAK AND IT WILL STILL BE HOLDING REVS! Another absolutely unacceptable trait.

- When the engine is not at full operating temp, but still okay to drive, it rev hangs between gears which is blatantly unnecessary and only harms the clutch. It makes you shift like it's your first time. Once you change gears it does not stop holding the revs until you pass that point with your own pedal operation. WHAT THE HELL?

Did they road test this at all?

It certainly adds more power to the car, but I expected REFINEMENT from Ford Performance, not to have to go to some shop now and have this idiotic throttle mapping fixed so that, when I'm on a road course, engine breaking is predictable and the car does not jerk and upset itself. On a road course, this amount of jerking can cause a spin out.

If I didn't have to cut two hoses (needlessly if they just included a proper T-connector, BTW) to install this, I would take it out right now. I am going to order the parts necessary to repair the hoses I had to cut, and then it will come out.

I will be calling Ford Performance to discuss this throttle mapping with them. It happens in regular mode, sport mode, track model, and winter mode. It's insane!

Again, the power add is really noticeable, but it's as if they made throttle mapping overly aggressive just to make the car seem faster. In my EXPERIENCED opinion, the off-throttle mapping is actually dangerous. Unless FP fixes this tune for me or I get a refund, this will be a $570 waste of money. I'm not driving around with this unnecessary jerking, rev hanging garbage.

Reactions: 113

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
First of all, 91 vs 93 on a carb legal tune isn't going to be felt.

EDIT: See my post-op review on the next page. This Power Pack 2 tune NEEDS MAJOR WORK.

I just had mine installed.

Unfortunate my FRPP oil separater barely fits now. It touches the GT350 TB electrical connection because it sticks out straight vs 90* down like stock. Okay, I can get another one of those, oh well. It's only money.
Are you saying that the FRPP oil sep won't work with the 350TB? So the stock TB electrical connector has a 90 bend but the FRPP doesn't? What are you going to get another of? A different manufacturer oil sep?

Seeing as FRPP is selling both, you think one would work with the other.Wonder what they have to say about this?

Seems like more and more issues with this PP2, making it hard to get behind.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Are you saying that the FRPP oil sep won't work with the 350TB? So the stock TB electrical connector has a 90 bend but the FRPP doesn't? What are you going to get another of? A different manufacturer oil sep?

Seeing as FRPP is selling both, you think one would work with the other.Wonder what they have to say about this?

Seems like more and more issues with this PP2, making it hard to get behind.
Well, if you read my review a couple posts up, I'll probably be taking this out unless FRPP comes up with a tune revision that solves their IDIOTIC throttle mapping. But, I can get the FRPP oil sep in, but it touches the electrical connector of the TB with notable pressure, which isn't good. I planned to get the Mishimoto one as I don't like where the UPR cans mount - either hanging off of the tubes behind the overflow tank or the two options it has to mount it elsewhere, leaving you with huge, ugly clothy-looking braided lines going all over the place. At least the Mishimoto has formed, small diameter lines.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
Well, if you read my review a couple posts up, I'll probably be taking this out unless FRPP comes up with a tune revision that solves their IDIOTIC throttle mapping. But, I can get the FRPP oil sep in, but it touches the electrical connector of the TB with notable pressure, which isn't good. I planned to get the Mishimoto one as I don't like where the UPR cans mount - either hanging off of the tubes behind the overflow tank or the two options it has to mount it elsewhere, leaving you with huge, ugly clothy-looking braided lines going all over the place. At least the Mishimoto has formed, small diameter lines.
I got the Moroso. It uses the stock elbow connectors and the can mounts off the passenger side shock tower, so it is out of the way and connector is still stock, so I don't anticipate a fit problem.

Bummer about your tune. I wonder if it has anything to do with the NLS feature interfering with normal shifting. Either way, something is not set right. Hey maybe they loaded the automatic version by mistake??? That would really screw things up.

If the NLS feature is giving problems, then the auto should not have those issues, since NLS is not needed. I will let you know after Tuesday when mine is installed.

Sponsored

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'm thinking the throttle issues are mostly due to the GT350 throttle body. Those things seem to be difficult to tune to where they drive properly at all times.

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
Yeah I'm on the waiting list for PP2 and just installed the FRPP oil sep. I asked about the oil sep with the 350TB in case FRPP can come out with a tune that works, but based on your review and others I have seen with other manuf tunes, re surging on the 350TB I'm thinking Terminator2 is right.

So has anyone got a tune to work reliably with the 5.0 and the 350TB?

Maybe the 350TB will work with the 350 manifold in PP3 but that's another $1k.

Good luck and keeep us updated on your discussion with FRPP.

Last edited:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I'm thinking the throttle issues are mostly due to the GT350 throttle body. Those things seem to be difficult to tune to where they drive properly at all times.
This.

I had all the parts from PP3 and Lund tune, they got it driving good but it was still not too my liking. Cold start the throttle was too jumpy/jerky. Once warm is was much improved though was still over-sensitive, we tried stuff like turning down DBW but a happy medium could not be found.

So I have the stock TB with GT 350 mani and 350 CAI. Drives much better, I still found it a touch over-sensitive but I simply requested Lund gave me a tune using the Ford stock throttle tables and drive by wire settings, car now drives absolutely spot on and is still more responsive than stock due to the tune and making a good 100BHP extra over stock. :)

But yep the 350 TB seems to be the root of all issues.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Is there an adaptor for the stock TB?
Yes blowfish sell one. $45 from CJ Pony, but you would need a re-tune as the electronics are completely different between the stock GT and 350 throttle bodies as GM make the 350 TB.

Thats for if your using a 350 manifold though.

You do not need an adapter to make the 350 CAI fit the stock GT, just tighten it up more, works fine. :)
Sponsored