Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
- 1st gear between stop lights in city traffic, if you let off the gas, the car jerks like a son of a bitch and since your foot is right by the gas pedal your foot taps it just enough to cause it to give gas again and so all of a sudden you end up in this unexpected, violent jerking cycle. Absolutely unacceptable.
Get closer to the pedals and put your heel on the ground!
This is what my little sister did when trying to learn to drive stick in a 2002 Siverado 1500 V6.

- Often and unpredictable, it takes about a second or two after I lift off of the gas (clutch pedal all the way up...) for it to go into engine braking. So long, in fact, I CAN HIT THE BREAK AND IT WILL STILL BE HOLDING REVS! Another absolutely unacceptable trait.
This stops when the system warms up.

- When the engine is not at full operating temp, but still okay to drive, it rev hangs between gears which is blatantly unnecessary and only harms the clutch. It makes you shift like it's your first time. Once you change gears it does not stop holding the revs until you pass that point with your own pedal operation. WHAT THE HELL?
You aren't really supposed to drive with a cold engine. Wear is increased. Have you ever noticed how aircraft warm and load-test their engines before takeoff? A failure there doesn't just leave you stranded.

I will be calling Ford Performance to discuss this throttle mapping with them. It happens in regular mode, sport mode, track model, and winter mode. It's insane!
That's the good part about the tunes and providing the ProCal tool with the kit. The tune can be tweaked in the future. If it will is yet to be seen...

I would be a fan of less rev-hang and a way to turn NLS off, but those definitely aren't too much of a nuisance.
Sponsored

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
On my base, the throttle mapping is not noticeably different. If I put it in sport mode by turning off TC, I do notice a slightly more aggressive mapping, but nothing dramatic. Going to look into a pedalmax to fix this.

My FR oil separator tucks neatly up next to the TB, and gives me no concerns what so ever.

I do have significant revhang over 3k rpm before the car is warmed up, and it aggravates me greatly. I also have the minor revhang I always had even after the car is at operating temperature. I hate revhang, period.

All in all, the power change is pretty significant running through the gears, just wish the cold engine revhang was not there.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
while the tune can be revised, its not like we know when and how it will be revised. you are at the mercy of Ford. they will have to encounter enough issues and complaints to want to revise it. its not like Lund where you can data log and get revisions done asap. i think this issue alone has pushed me of the buying cliff. bummer.

Reactions: 113

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Get closer to the pedals and put your heel on the ground!
This is what my little sister did when trying to learn to drive stick in a 2002 Siverado 1500 V6.

This stops when the system warms up.

You aren't really supposed to drive with a cold engine. Wear is increased. Have you ever noticed how aircraft warm and load-test their engines before takeoff? A failure there doesn't just leave you stranded.

That's the good part about the tunes and providing the ProCal tool with the kit. The tune can be tweaked in the future. If it will is yet to be seen...

I would be a fan of less rev-hang and a way to turn NLS off, but those definitely aren't too much of a nuisance.
Forgive me for being snarky, here, but I don't need your driving advice. It's insulting. The throttle mapping or the use of the GT350 intake or whatever it is controlling on/off throttle is f'd up. That's it.

Get closer to the pedal? Put me heel on the ground? I'm 6' tall and my heal is on the ground. The hell you talking about?
It stops when the system warms up? So it's acceptable, then? Nope.
Not supposed to drive with a cold engine? Okay... thanks.

Let's get something clear. First, a Lund/Palm Beach/etc. tune achieving same or more gains does not have these drivability issues. I've been in numerous GT's with tunes. Nobody is breaking their neck when they let off the gas.

I can wait eons for my car to warm up, but doing so is not necessary, especially with quality oil. It takes a good bit of driving before it calms down the rev hang that it exhibits when cold. I was literally 10 miles away from my starting point before it finally acted normal. That said, I do not start driving until my engine reduces idle and my oil pressure goes to about 50. There is NO reason for it to rev hang as much as it does - any more than stock - between gears when the engine is not warmed up. None. Also, I drive slowly and smoothly until it is fully warmed up, not just consciously but also by default of the environment I drive in coming out of my home and work. This is perfectly acceptable. It is a myth that you must wait until full operating temperature to drive. Additionally, this degree of rev hang and abrupt off throttle engine braking - and the seeming randomness of either happening - is dangerous on a road course. I need to know when, exactly when, the vehicle will go into engine braking. Sometimes, even fully warm, it will rev hang. Sometimes it won't and act like I would expect it to. Also, the duration of the rev hang is within a small window, but never the same duration. Sometimes it is long enough that I can press the break pedal, feel braking action, and then finally it stops rev hanging. It's like I'm driving those Toyotas that drove their owners into their garage door... On a daily drive, this is nuisance. In a performance driving situation - after all, why tune if you aren't going to really drive it - this is much more. This is not acceptable throttle mapping. It isn't me or my seating position or me leaving the gate too soon. Don't insult me.

Look, y'all. I'm sorry for snapping about this - but I cannot believe how bad a company with the name Ford attached to it got this tune's throttle mapping. It makes great power - that part is wonderful. But the off throttle action and the rev hanging - especially being so random - is not akin to a modern day vehicle. Clearly I'm very unhappy with this. I invite anyone to come for a ride in my car if they're near me to experience this. If by some small chance it's "the way I drive" despite never experiencing anything to bother in terms of the throttle mapping without the tune, then I'll happily sing this tune's praises across the board. Right now, I can't even get to the grocery store without consciously having to avoid giving myself whiplash. I had my dog in my car, and when this jerking happened in 1st gear between stop lights, he fell into the footwell area. The same dog that loves coming along to a mountain run with his head out the window took a dive. Just ridiculous. Maybe I'll get used to it, but considering that this doesn't seem to be a problem for any other basic bolt-on tune... I don't have a tolerance for this.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have no faith in Ford Performance revising this tune. I'd love for them to take a second stab at this, I would. But, it took them this long to come up with these Power Packs, and this is what they came up with? They have some explaining to do. The ONLY way I can see Ford paying attention and fixing this is I and others demand a refund. I probably won't get one, but I should hope they do the right thing.

I have tried to find the P/N for the hoses that had to be cut and cannot for the life of me come across a diagram. Does anyone have the part diagram for all the hoses that connect to the OE air intake?

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I have no faith in Ford Performance revising this tune. I'd love for them to take a second stab at this, I would. But, it took them this long to come up with these Power Packs, and this is what they came up with? They have some explaining to do. The ONLY way I can see Ford paying attention and fixing this is I and others demand a refund. I probably won't get one, but I should hope they do the right thing.

I have tried to find the P/N for the hoses that had to be cut and cannot for the life of me come across a diagram. Does anyone have the part diagram for all the hoses that connect to the OE air intake?
They will be on www.fordparts.com (probably under engine). I'll see if I can locate them when I'm on my laptop.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I found, I think, one of the lines (driver's side that connects next to where the sound tube connects on the OEM intake tube). The passenger side one doesn't seem to have its own part number, only that it comes with the entire intake manifold or something that's $600+. Hopefully I'm missing something. I suppose I can use connectors similar to the T-connector that came with the kit, just not a T but just to "lengthen" the cut tube, so to speak. At this point, I'm crossing my fingers, by some miracle, the car learns somehow to stop being so jerky or rev hangy and it gets better. A man can hope... the power increase is wonderful. Just this throttle stuff is not going to fly with me. I can live with the rev hang while the engine isn't warmed up - stupid, but I'll live. After it's warmed up, though... no way.

Glex25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Did anyone find out why they want us to cut the intake and make sure it's facing down?

How did everyone make sure it was facing down?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
This is exactly why I didn't rush out and have this thing installed. Very disheartening to hear Wildcat. Looking forward to this for quite some time. I'll wait for a few more reviews to come through before deciding whether to install or return the kit.

keiths2kgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT PP 50th AP
f-it...i guess i wont buy it and i finally got the damn email too. i just dont feel like dealing with this stupid sh1t. are you able to video this break neck bs, wildcat?

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Im having the Auto PP2 installed on the 30th. Hope I dont experience similar problems.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Auto with PP2 here.

Zero tune issues, drives great whether cold or warm, and quicker shifts are noticeable without being overly harsh.

No complaints.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Auto with PP2 here.

Zero tune issues, drives great whether cold or warm, and quicker shifts are noticeable without being overly harsh.

No complaints.
Seems like the only major issues are from folks with manuals. I would guess it's something directly related to the new no-lift shift implementation. Almost like it's too touchy and causing rev hang issues and who knows what else. Too bad there's no option to turn it off outside of the tune itself.

LawsonGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Premium PP
Literally just paid for my PP2 Friday after I got the message more had come in stock for the group buy...really disappointed to hear all these bad reviews and issues. I guess I'll let it sit in the box for a bit once I get it until I can make a decision on whether or not I wanna live with all these poor drivability issues since I do need my car to drive to work and back every day. This blows!

LawsonGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Premium PP
If anyone else installs PP2 on a manual car I'd love to hear some more reviews. I'm not about to cut hoses on my car unless I know this kit is staying on for the long haul. Thanks everyone that has already provided feedback. I assume getting the Ford parts would make for the safest and most drivable tune. Sounds like they droped the ball big time
Sponsored