Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
I don't think anybody is worried about this package causing problems and wanting to keep the warranty because of it, and the install is easy. It's about what happens if something else goes wrong, that even though it had 0 to do with the tune/intake, you can almost be certain Ford will throw your ass under the bus and deny your warranty claims.

I think that's where the concerns lay. And yes, they're supposed to prove it etc. but how long and how much aggravation will that be? I'll pay a little extra for peace of mind for 2 years.
Fair enough! I do see your point. Everyone has to live with their decisions. I do have some additional information I'd like to share with everyone. I called the Ford Performance tech line today to ask a few questions. Here's what I confirmed from the FP tech.

There is at least one benefit from installing the PP yourself that may or may not out way the warranty. It is a personal choice. When using your own laptop, you then have your stock tune on your computer. If for what ever reason you want to remove the performance tune and return the car to the stock tune you can. You can do that as many times as you like. The performance tune is yours and it is vehicle specific. So if you had the dealer install, that option would not exist. Also, if later on another tuner such as Lund or whoever offers a tune for this CAI set up, you'd be able to remove the Ford Performance tune with your laptop and load the other tune.

I also found out something that may help those that haven't bought the PP2 and live in California or any other state that only has 91 octane fuel. The performance numbers posted for the product are from 93 Octane fuel.

This was an obvious let down for me. The only thing that stopped me from blowing a gasket :headbonk: was the fact that I got in on the group buy and only paid $570. If I'd have paid $750 0r even worse $950 that would truly suck.

I hope this information is useful to anyone either on the fence to buy or self install.

keiths2kgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT PP 50th AP
I talked with a dealership today close to me and they quoted $250 for the install of the PP2. I then called a local performance shop I had used with my old mustang and they quoted me $500 for a baseline dyno with 2 pulls, install, then 2 more post install dyno pulls. It's a mustang dyno

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I talked with a dealership today close to me and they quoted $250 for the install of the PP2. I then called a local performance shop I had used with my old mustang and they quoted me $500 for a baseline dyno with 2 pulls, install, then 2 more post install dyno pulls. It's a mustang dyno
Now that sounds like a good deal! Does that include the sound tube removal?

I already removed my sound tube when I first got the car last year. But even with it already removed...that would still be a prety good price. I would be more inclined to not do the install myself if I could find a deal like that.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Fair enough! I do see your point. Everyone has to live with their decisions. I do have some additional information I'd like to share with everyone. I called the Ford Performance tech line today to ask a few questions. Here's what I confirmed from the FP tech.

There is at least one benefit from installing the PP yourself that may or may not out way the warranty. It is a personal choice. When using your own laptop, you then have your stock tune on your computer. If for what ever reason you want to remove the performance tune and return the car to the stock tune you can. You can do that as many times as you like. The performance tune is yours and it is vehicle specific. So if you had the dealer install, that option would not exist. Also, if later on another tuner such as Lund or whoever offers a tune for this CAI set up, you'd be able to remove the Ford Performance tune with your laptop and load the other tune.

I also found out something that may help those that haven't bought the PP2 and live in California or any other state that only has 91 octane fuel. The performance numbers posted for the product are from 93 Octane fuel.

This was an obvious let down for me. The only thing that stopped me from blowing a gasket :headbonk: was the fact that I got in on the group buy and only paid $570. If I'd have paid $750 0r even worse $950 that would truly suck.

I hope this information is useful to anyone either on the fence to buy or self install.
This is great insight, thank you. I have heard from another member that the mods make the car run super rough without the tune. So if we were to revert to the stock specs we should run the stock TB/intake then right?

Also, your in the northbay? Im in Novato. There are a couple others out here and we try to do as many events as possible.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I do have the Steeda spring, and shifter bushing, trans mount bushing.
Some folks with these tunes noticed problems due to having a different spring. It was changing the orientation of the clutch pedal enough to cause the car to think it was shifting. You seriously might want to try changing that back to stock and see how it works.

DC_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ PP - Shadow Black
Some folks with these tunes noticed problems due to having a different spring. It was changing the orientation of the clutch pedal enough to cause the car to think it was shifting. You seriously might want to try changing that back to stock and see how it works.
Thanks for the advice, I'll swap out the Steeda spring for the stock one and see how it goes.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Thanks for the advice, I'll swap out the Steeda spring for the stock one and see how it goes.
Was also something with one person I believe resting his foot on the clutch? I think it was the same issue, rev hangs around 3k or so.

DC_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ PP - Shadow Black
Was also something with one person I believe resting his foot on the clutch? I think it was the same issue, rev hangs around 3k or so.
I never rest my foot on the clutch pedal. With the stock tune, as soon as I begin to roll off the gas, revs drop accordingly and there's never *that* much of a driveline shock when doing so, even at high rpm. This just started happening with the Stage 2 tune, and it just makes the car a mess to drive around. I don't like shifting at 2500 everywhere ;)

Sponsored

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is great insight, thank you. I have heard from another member that the mods make the car run super rough without the tune. So if we were to revert to the stock specs we should run the stock TB/intake then right?

Also, your in the northbay? Im in Novato. There are a couple others out here and we try to do as many events as possible.
I would think so! Without the tune...with the 350 intake there would be way to much air for the air fuel mix to run correct.

I guess one advantage for using your own laptop for the diy install would be that if you had to go to the dealer for a non power train warranty issue that didn't require them to connct to the PCM, you could remove the tune and intake, put it back to stock and it would pass the visual test.

Another advantage would be just being able to remove the tune and load a more agressive tune after your warranty was expired.

In any event...I'm in the south bay. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
104 pages? man this thread is huge.

So my question is did anyone get a PP3 and install it and is it worth the scratch?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
X2, worth a shot.

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
104 pages? man this thread is huge.

So my question is did anyone get a PP3 and install it and is it worth the scratch?
Like the man said. It's not out yet. But IMHO, after learning what I did from Ford Performance Tech yesterday, that the numbers they advertise are with 93 octane, If you live in CA the land of 91, it wouldn't be worth it to me.
Sponsored