2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
I think I may have that on occasion. Like when I’m in a parking lot and going like 7 mph or so it hangs at 1500 rpm, th car doesn’t move any faster but it’s sitting at a higher rpm then normal. It could be a hang or it could be lower gear, since it’s an auto I couldn’t tell. Once I gas or brake it goes back to normal.
This is sort of like my issue, but I could notice a definite clunk before it switches gear, and the RPM drops to almost nothing. I'll take it in Monday to have it looked at, I suppose.
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
This is sort of like my issue, but I could notice a definite clunk before it switches gear, and the RPM drops to almost nothing. I'll take it in Monday to have it looked at, I suppose.
Do you get this clunk while shifting from park to D/R?

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
Do you get this clunk while shifting from park to D/R?
Nope. I'll try and get a video if I go out a bit later but with the clunk comes my RPMs dropping below 1k while it tries to shift, then it sometimes holds a shift at a pretty high RPM before finally shifting.

Other times, the RPMs will drop below 1k at the same time as the clunk, then the car moves to around 1700 RPM and holds steady there. Not sure what the issue could be.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope. I'll try and get a video if I go out a bit later but with the clunk comes my RPMs dropping below 1k while it tries to shift, then it sometimes holds a shift at a pretty high RPM before finally shifting.

Other times, the RPMs will drop below 1k at the same time as the clunk, then the car moves to around 1700 RPM and holds steady there. Not sure what the issue could be.
Ok definitely not normal

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
Ok definitely not normal
Someone on another car forum thought the car might just need to relearn shift points, but seems like I'm a minority here lol. It doesn't happen all the time, but probably once every 20-30 minutes. No clue what the issue could even be.

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone on another car forum thought the car might just need to relearn shift points, but seems like I'm a minority here lol. It doesn't happen all the time, but probably once every 20-30 minutes. No clue what the issue could even be.
Then it wouldn’t hurt to unplug the negative terminal, try to start the engine to bleed power, then after 30 min plug it back in. This should reset the learning system iirc

Out of curiosity the clink comes from underneath and not the engine bay right?

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
Then it wouldn’t hurt to unplug the negative terminal, try to start the engine to bleed power, then after 30 min plug it back in. This should reset the learning system iirc

Out of curiosity the clink comes from underneath and not the engine bay right?
It's definitely from the engine bay and it's a clunk that I can feel, not just hear.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's definitely from the engine bay and it's a clunk that I can feel, not just hear.
That’s sounds like a real big issue. It might be knock? Or maybe just the throttle body slamming shut but it sounds like a bigger noise than that. Good luck, hope it’s solved without engine damage.
Maybe a crank relearn?

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
That’s sounds like a real big issue. It might be knock? Or maybe just the throttle body slamming shut but it sounds like a bigger noise than that. Good luck, hope it’s solved without engine damage.
Maybe a crank relearn?
Thankfully I'm only at 25k miles on my car if anything happens lol. All this warranty talk scares me though. Hopefully a relearn will fix it.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thankfully I'm only at 25k miles on my car if anything happens lol. All this warranty talk scares me though. Hopefully a relearn will fix it.
Make sure to register the Ford perf warranty if you havent already. Also, I remember a Ford perf rep responded to an email from someone in this thread and recommended a catch can for knock deterrence.

Sponsored

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
Make sure to register the Ford perf warranty if you havent already. Also, I remember a Ford perf rep responded to an email from someone in this thread and recommended a catch can for knock deterrence.
I'll have to ask my dealer if they have all that warranty stuff. They registered an FRPP account for me, but don't know if they did the warranty.

Thanks for all your help!

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll have to ask my dealer if they have all that warranty stuff. They registered an FRPP account for me, but don't know if they did the warranty.

Thanks for all your help!
Proof of purchase is required for submission of warranty claims. Registration for this warranty must be submitted through the Ford Performance Call Center at (800) 367-3788 or [email protected] with the vehicle identification number (VIN), part installation repair order and date, Ford Performance part number, and owner contact information.

And odometer #s.

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Premium, Lightning Blue
Just got my PP2 installed and loving it so far! Thanks to this thread I picked up a 45 deg fitting and avoided notching my cover. Now I’m hoping for some additional wisdom:

My FP oil catch can (pass side) no longer fits well. After just a few miles I was already able to detect wear marks on the plastic catch can lid where it’s been rubbing on the throttle body. I currently disconnected the catch can support bracket to shift the can slightly and buy a little room, but it doesn’t feel like a long term solution. Has anyone come up with a fix for this? I’d rather not buy another separator if I can avoid it.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Just got my PP2 installed and loving it so far! Thanks to this thread I picked up a 45 deg fitting and avoided notching my cover. Now I’m hoping for some additional wisdom:

My FP oil catch can (pass side) no longer fits well. After just a few miles I was already able to detect wear marks on the plastic catch can lid where it’s been rubbing on the throttle body. I currently disconnected the catch can support bracket to shift the can slightly and buy a little room, but it doesn’t feel like a long term solution. Has anyone come up with a fix for this? I’d rather not buy another separator if I can avoid it.
Unfortunately if you want it to be secure you gotta upgrade to the V.2 FP Oil Separator or do what I did which was go to a whole different unit.

Before: You can see how it doesnt fit.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1846238&postcount=47

After: Much more clearance. Easier to empty too.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1858223&postcount=49

I was annoyed too...

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Unfortunately if you want it to be secure you gotta upgrade to the V.2 FP Oil Separator or do what I did which was go to a whole different unit.

Do you have a part number for the V.2 FP Oil Separator? The only one I can find is the original M-6766-A50 and that one on the FRPP site says it doesn't work with PP2.
Sponsored