Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I finally got PP3 installed this week. WOW. What a difference! It pulls hard all the way to redline and I love how it sounds at 7,500RPM. The car drives just as good as stock with no driveability problems and I don't feel it has lost anything at low revs or the mid-range. It actually feels a little stronger at low RPM if anything.

I'm very happy with the PP3 and GT350 intake manifold. My Mustang now feels more like my old M3 but much stronger. I highly recommend it!
That's one of the other things that got me into the Mustang over the Camaro. Not only is it substantially cheaper, better over all quality, albeit slower and not as sharp handling, but you can get back that performance (handling and power) under factory warranty with the power packs and FP suspension upgrades if that matters to you. This will be a nice upgrade in a couple of years :-).

Although technically a modification, I'd consider this a factory upgrade option given how seamlessly the FP stuff generally works. Is it the fastest aftermarket option? No, but offers a LOT under warranty and it's emissions legal with is rare with aftermarket, so it's 100% street legal.

I would expect this to put the slightly older 2015-2017 GT's on par with the 2018 GT (assuming both had the same 6 speed manuals) and the 2016~2018 Camaro's with 6 speed manuals if you wanted to be competitive at the strip. At the track you just need a few suspension upgrades as that becomes a far bigger factor than just raw power.
Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
My understanding of the warranty is as follows:

Your factory/extended warranty remains intact as is, no extension attributed to power pack install.

The 3/36 warranty is for any damages attributed to the Power Pack.

Here is the response I received back from Ford Performance:

The Ford Performance Power Packs come with their own Ford Performance Parts warranty. For 3 yrs/60k kilometers from new vehicle purchase, Ford Performance will pay to fix your car if the power pack causes a problem. Un-related issues are still covered by your new vehicle Ford warranty.

After you purchase your kit and have it installed by a Ford dealer or a Red Leaf certified shop, send your parts purchase invoice and your installation invoice (with VIN and vehicle mileage upon install) to [email protected] .

We will enter your information in the warranty system.

Hope that sheds some light on the questions.

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
How does this tune affect my extended warranty from the dealership? From what I've:crazy: heard apparently I would get a refund for the extended warranty if I get a tune or 3rd party modification however this is installed at the dealer so what would happen to my warranty? I am currently around 28k miles so would that mean after this tune is installed I get an additional 3 year/36,000 mile warranty?
This would not extend your 3/36, warranty for the PP tune. It would still end when your car hits 3/36, which is 8k miles for you. Or if you are outside your 3/36 I believe the kit would have no warranty. I do not know how it would effect your extended warranty, you would need to contact the administrator of the warranty. I did with mine and they said they would cover Ford Racing mods but not 3rd party.

MustangFan27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Black PP
How does this tune affect my extended warranty from the dealership? From what I've:crazy: heard apparently I would get a refund for the extended warranty if I get a tune or 3rd party modification however this is installed at the dealer so what would happen to my warranty? I am currently around 28k miles so would that mean after this tune is installed I get an additional 3 year/36,000 mile warranty?
Don't worry. I own a '15 PP, got the tune put on by Ford. As long as it is an ASE certified mechanic and you have the paperwork, it will NOT void your warranty. I did, however, go back and get am extended warranty. What I found out is that we have a 5/60k on the powertrain. I wish I'd known that before dumping 2k into a 5/75k warranty. The extended warranty covers all of the electronic parts; I've had no problems with them. So, if you're going to do it, the PP2 is the best bang for the buck. There are 3rd party tunes that make more, and after this pack, i want a touch more. Realistically, this is an intermediate step before my SC. I'm happy with the tune, and you will feel the difference.

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance
This would not extend your 3/36, warranty for the PP tune. It would still end when your car hits 3/36, which is 8k miles for you. Or if you are outside your 3/36 I believe the kit would have no warranty. I do not know how it would effect your extended warranty, you would need to contact the administrator of the warranty. I did with mine and they said they would cover Ford Racing mods but not 3rd party.
When I called Ford about this, they said very politely that Ford Racing tune kits were considered aftermarket parts, as they were not installed at the factory when the car was built, and therefore the tune kits (aand I assume any issues that could be blamed on them) were NOT covered by my Ford 7 year, 125,000 mile extended warranty. So I cancelled my PP2 order.
:frusty:

Sponsored

MustangFan27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Black PP
When I called Ford about this, they said very politely that Ford Racing tune kits were considered aftermarket parts, as they were not installed at the factory when the car was built, and therefore the tune kits (aand I assume any issues that could be blamed on them) were NOT covered by my Ford 7 year, 125,000 mile extended warranty. So I cancelled my PP2 order.
You're right, the Ford racing parts are still considered aftermarket, but they will not void your warranty if installed by a certified installer. The powertrain warranty is actually 5/60, so you don't have to worry about a 3/36. I just bought an extended warranty through ford about 300 miles shy of 36k. That's how I found out about the 5/60 for powertrain. If it won't void your original warranty, it won't void your extended warranty. Buy your tune through levittown and you'll get the best deal. That's how I did, and I've replaced both wheel speed sensors... probably due to my wheel spacers... and was not charged or asked. Mine was Ford installed so it was certified. I love the tune, and it's what it should've come with to start.

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
My dealer is my warranty administrator not Ford so they agreed to cover so each my be different, my extended is only powertrain, one of those you buy from us and we'll cover your powertrain for life things too.

italianstallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Got the PP2 installed on my 2017 last week. Noticeable head snapping power in that mid-range like many others have mentioned. All in all it’s a nice little mod that cost me $800 installed that provides a noticeable power boost and inches my car another click away from a regular stock GT. Sure there’s more gains to be had out there, but I didn’t drop $40k on a car just to void the warranty after 2k miles.

Also wanted to add I’ve notice no rev hang or issues with the no lift shift feature getting in the way with how I normally like driving the manual transmission.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installation of these select Ford Performance and mountune warranted performance packs and
components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline
and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for warranty
coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Ford Performance and mountune parts are aftermarket parts. The use of Ford Performance and mountune
parts may impact the performance characteristics of other systems of the vehicle. Even when operating properly,
Ford Performance and mountune parts, such as these, have the potential to adversely impact other systems of the
vehicle. If an adverse impact is caused by a warranted Ford Performance or mountune performance pack or
component, the period and coverage of this Ford Performance Limited Warranty applies to the repairs.
Typically with aftermarket the dealer will thumb their nose if something goes wrong. However if you have it installed by them and have all the paper work, they have to have evidence that the FP modification is the actual cause of the failure.

If that is the case, then your covered by FP directly with their supplemental warranty for the first 3 years / 36k miles. After that if something fails and is found to be directly related to the modification then it's on your dime.

However if the failure is NOT related to the FP parts, then it will still be covered under warranty. This is where things get dicey, with after market tunes, your pretty darn likely to be told no all together by the dealer, with the Ford Performance power packs, you have grounds to stand on legally to force the dealer to definitively prove the modification was the cause.

You could always have the ECU sent into Ford for analysis, which is common for them to do if you have a catastrophic engine failure. But something like a fuel pump going out is not likely to be blamed on the FP tune.

I had a bad belt tension replaced under warranty in my 2016 Ecoboost well after it was tuned with the FP Power Pack. The dealer said there's a big red warning message on their screen "See Ford Performance". But given the belt tensioner failure had nothing to do with the Power Pack, they replaced it under warranty as they would a bone stock car.

I think your much less likely to have catastrophic internal engine problems with a NA V8 than with a very high strung Turbo engine like the 2.3L Ecoboost. They are just more forgiving because there's far less stress per a cylinder due to lower total compression and mistakes or malfunctioning parts detrimental effects are not as severe as with TDI engines.

Many of the aftermarket tunes for the Ecoboost 2.3L's are throwing rods left and right. Far more than I have seen on the GT's 5.0. Most of them fail before 30k. Yes, some GT's have thrown rods, I even found a bone stock one that did, but it's far less common. Now the 2.3T isn't throwing rods stock, it's quite durable, only a few 2.3's have failed with the FP tune, but ALL were warrantied replacements.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the PP2 installed on my 2017 last week. Noticeable head snapping power in that mid-range like many others have mentioned. All in all it’s a nice little mod that cost me $800 installed that provides a noticeable power boost and inches my car another click away from a regular stock GT. Sure there’s more gains to be had out there, but I didn’t drop $40k on a car just to void the warranty after 2k miles.

Also wanted to add I’ve notice no rev hang or issues with the no lift shift feature getting in the way with how I normally like driving the manual transmission.
Why not go with the Stage 3? The RPM gains alone are worth the cost even if the peak power was flat. You can stay in gear longer (longer legs as they say) and there's a HUGE area under the power curve you gaining. I"ll bet a Stage 3 GT would tie a new gen 6 Camaro or even beat it out on the 1/4 mile.

Sponsored

italianstallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Why not go with the Stage 3? The RPM gains alone are worth the cost even if the peak power was flat. You can stay in gear longer (longer legs as they say) and there's a HUGE area under the power curve you gaining. I"ll bet a Stage 3 GT would tie a new gen 6 Camaro or even beat it out on the 1/4 mile.
Good question. I was doing alot of research and came across an article on another website that did a head to head comparison of all three power packs. Looking at the dynos and considering my driving habits I have much more use for the gains in the middle of the RPM range than I do for the gains at the top of it. Then you factor in the price factor (not only for the parts but also for more shop time on the install) and I felt like the PP2 was a better value for what I was after.

(red is before the Performance package installs (stock), blue is with the PP2, green is with the PP3)

22%20-%20Dyno%20Stock%202016%20Mustang%20GT%20vs%20Power%20Pack%202-X2.jpg

38%20-%20Dyno%20Stock%202016%20Mustang%20GT%20vs%20Power%20Pack%203-X2.jpg

40%20-%20Dyno2016%20Mustang%20GT%20Power%20Pack%203%20vs%20Power%20Pack%202-X2.jpg

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Last edited:

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd