Sponsored

2 questions for track driving - brake fluid & strut mounts

killbeagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi A4, 2021 Shelby GT500
Good morning.

Absolutely loved the track attack event last year and planning to take my own car to the local track this year (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) and join some track events.

With that I have 2 questions that I haven't been able to answer:
  1. What kind of brake fluid comes with the GT500 and is it fit for track driving or would it be recommend to swap for proper DOT 4 break fluid?
  2. I know that with the adjustable strut top mounts that are part of the handling package you can adjust the front camber to be more suited for track driving and better for your tires. Having said that I am unsure about the proper procedure.
    1. Is this something that I can do myself at the track just by jacking the car up in the front and adjusting the plates?
    2. Or do I need an alignment afterwards? (In which case frequent back and forth doesn't really seem practical)
    3. Are the bolts one time use? (Which would mean I have to get a set of new bolts every time I switch back and forth)
This not my daily driver but I also don't have a trailer and the car will also see plenty of weekend cruising during the summer, so spend more time off then on the track​

Thanks in advance!

Ben
Sponsored

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
DOT4 is factory fill. WSS-M6C65-A2
Yes you would need an alignment after moving the camber plates.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I use castrol SRF. You probably don't need something as expensive as that, but I don't recommend stock OEM fill. You would be fine with any race brake fluid.

If you change the camber, you change the tow. The first thing you do is set the camber to your desired setting. Then you adjust the tow. You can do it yourself, but it is a bit involved. If you want easy, just have a shop do it for you. I do my own only because I know it is absolutely correct.

If you are not going to track that much, I would suggest having a shop do it. Otherwise, get a string alignment kit, stands, turnstyles, etc. Just the basics would probably run you a few thousand bucks. You can bring that price down (jack stands, emt conduit, home made wheel stands, etc) but the pain in the ass factor goes up exponentially.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It sounds like you are new to racing. If this is the case, then I would take the car, as is, to the track several times. Get a feel for the car. The best way to make your car fast is to know how it reacts in certain situations, which are usually more significant in stock format (Oversteer, understeer, brake feeling and fade, etc...), and then start tweaking. Usually #1 is new tires. Then camber adjustments.

When I started racing, I realized real fast the car has so much more potential than I do driver skill.

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
The brakes, as delivered from the factory, are excellent at the track. The car comes with DOT 4. I have stood on the brakes time after time and the brakes are always there. I don’t flush after every track day. I do it after a few days.

As for your camber plates, they come pinned (screwed from the factory). You or an alignment shop will need to remove the screws before the adjustable plates can be moved.

Once the pins are removed, the plates can be adjusted. I personally would not do this myself. I’d have an alignment shop do it, which I did here:

There are no 1-time use bolts here.

Sponsored

Voodoo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2019 GT350 & 2023 Ford Raptor
Question, does the factory adjustable camber plates for the gt350 have pins as well?
Thank you!

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
Question, does the factory adjustable camber plates for the gt350 have pins as well?
Thank you!
I don't know for certain, but I believe they are the same plates, which should then come pinned from the factory.