Sponsored

2.3 ecoboost engine cutaway

Ecoboobs

RAINF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP (Poverty Pack) 2.3T A/T
Really interesting video in regards to our 2.3 block. The video shows the weak points in the block. Worth a look but be warned not very confidence inspiring for modded motors...

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
sup @Ecoboobs .. yeah we seen this video last year . People started running to find a 2.0 block to build . The 2018 crowd needs to understand these ideas .

OP
OP
Ecoboobs

Ecoboobs

RAINF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sup @Ecoboobs .. yeah we seen this video last year . People started running to find a 2.0 block to build . The 2018 crowd needs to understand these ideas .
Do you know if they have changed the block design of the 18s? I'm starting to push the power on mine with E30 so was looking at options.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look up 2018 ecoboost stock engine capabilities .

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
Did the 2018 2.3 get stronger?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ecoboobs

Ecoboobs

RAINF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I was asking. If the block has been strengthened in any way.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We would have to ask FOMOCO and or go look at a new 2.3 t engine to get verification .
As far as I am aware there has been no redesign . Why would they ?

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Maybe cause were driving ticking time bombs? :explode:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Maybe cause were driving ticking time bombs? :explode:
Did you see something in this video to suggest the block is insufficient or inadequate when the engine is producing power at stock levels? If not, do you think Ford is obligated to redesign the block to support enthusiasts' desire to push the block above 500 hp?

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you see something in this video to suggest the block is insufficient or inadequate when the engine is producing power at stock levels? If not, do you think Ford is obligated to redesign the block to support enthusiasts' desire to push the block above 500 hp?
Don't get your panties in a bunch, it was mostly a joke, although the jury is still out on why a good amount are blowing up what appears to be random now, from 0 to over 60k miles, from casually leaving a gas station to driving on a freeway ramp to modified and stock form. I would really like to believe the sensor is a major culprit but I can't know that for sure. My worst fear is Ford is the culprit.

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Turbong .. Growing up in the 70 s my best friend was good at popping 327 s that were built and blue printed , and those are durable engines . If you don't like it trade it in for a GT with all of it's problems .

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Turbong .. Growing up in the 70 s my best friend was good at popping 327 s that were built and blue printed , and those are durable engines . If you don't like it trade it in for a GT with all of it's problems .
We have come a long way in every way imaginable from the 70's engine manufacturing and testing, engines randomly blowing up is not normal or shouldn't be acceptable in this day and age, yes some will blow for any make but it should be statistical flaws that were the cause not inheritance. If Ford indeed is the culprit of a flaw (which they would never admit or do right by the customers) I would be a bigger idiot to trade one problem for another giving an incompetent company more money. If by not liking and trading for a Jap car now that might sound more sensible.

OP
OP
Ecoboobs

Ecoboobs

RAINF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think Ford is obligated to do anything at all if they don't feel like it even if it costs them market share however they have increased the peak power output on the 18s as far as I am aware with the overboost feature. For this reason alone I was asking if anyone knows if the block has been strengthened. This will confirm for me if I buy an 18/19 and mod it or go another route entirely.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I don't think Ford is obligated to do anything at all if they don't feel like it even if it costs them market share however they have increased the peak power output on the 18s as far as I am aware with the overboost feature. For this reason alone I was asking if anyone knows if the block has been strengthened. This will confirm for me if I buy an 18/19 and mod it or go another route entirely.
I don't believe they've upped the power beyond what you get with the Ford Performance tune. That was tested for 60k without issues, and is the reason it's offered with a warranty.

Ford Performance had yet to offer a performance increase tune for the 2018, so maybe that's what they consider the safe limit.