Sponsored

1st PPF and I'm unhappy. Am I expecting too much?

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Suntek Ultra PPF was done 1 month ago. I was told to expect a few bubbles that would diminish over time. The were many and they have not. The car has been covered and garaged since the install. In addition, I can see some of the imperfections are due to debris under the film. The owner took no responsibility for what I perceived as shoddy work. He claims due to the difficulty of installing PPF, these issues are to be expected. I say bull. Am I wrong?
Sponsored

Norton961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Suntek Ultra PPF was done 1 month ago. I was told to expect a few bubbles that would diminish over time. The were many and they have not. The car has been covered and garaged since the install. In addition, I can see some of the imperfections are due to debris under the film. The owner took no responsibility for what I perceived as shoddy work. He claims due to the difficulty of installing PPF, these issues are to be expected. I say bull. Am I wrong?
You’re not wrong!
You are a paying customer!
I’d be unhappy as well.
I’m a business owner and take pride in my work. Can’t say that about every business anymore.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
There definitely should not be any debris under the film. I have Suntek on my front fascia and impact areas, and I am extremely happy with it. Suntek has a warranty... Sounds like you’ve already contacted your installer, so you might try reaching out to Suntek directly to see what they suggest. They might direct you to a different installer or simply direct your installer to pull it all off and do it right.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Indoor storage under cover isn't the most favorable conditions for allowing the bubbles to work out - letting it get warm in the sun is best for that.

However, from a debris standpoint, that's unacceptable. I have a friend who always brings his white German Shepard over to my shop and the installer who did the Xpel on my car did it at my place... sure enough, after he left I noticed a single white hair right above the grill between the Xpel and my shiny black paint - stood out like a sore thumb. He came back a week later and lifted that part of the PPF, removed the hair, and reapplied the film.

The installer should definitely stand behind his work and do it to your satisfaction.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
You are supposed to let the car sit in the sun after the install to help eliminate any air trapped under the PPF.

If the installer had a lot of air bubbles, then they aren't good.

If there is debris under the PPF, that is on them... I always try to bring my car in as clean as possible.

Do you have any pics to share?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
You are supposed to let the car sit in the sun after the install to help eliminate any air trapped under the PPF.

If the installer had a lot of air bubbles, then they aren't good.

If there is debris under the PPF, that is on them... I always try to bring my car in as clean as possible.

Do you have any pics to share?
Their is little sun in NY in February and when there is its not strong enough to eliminate the air bubbles. If I am lucky, when the warm weather finally arrives, some will go away.

As far as pictures, it would be difficult to pick up the debris.

I didn't mention that it is also is peeling in 2 areas.

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have Suntek PPF as well and I am very happy with the way it turned out, no issues. You are not wrong and the owner should take responsibly for shoddy work and make it right. As has already been suggested, if the installer will not fix his work you should reach out to Suntek to get their thoughts on this.

Was the install done at your house or at the installers shop? When I was looking for an installer I had a really good deal from an installer who said he would do it at my house. It was actually my wife who reminded me of the issues we had (debris under the film) when we had the windows tinted on one of our cars in our garage by a mobile installer. In that case, we complained and the installer redid it. I decided in the case of the PPF I did not want to take a chance. I went ahead and paid a little more to have another installer do it at his shop and I am glad I did as the PPF looks really nice.

I hope you gets things worked out satisfactorily.

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Debris is unacceptable, if the installation was difficult sounds like he doesn’t have the experience to be doing it, and not the right place if he’s picking up debris or he didn’t prep car properly, unfortunately I don’t think Suntek will consider this warranty
Lots of money spent and a bad result that’s just wrong

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
Debris is unacceptable, if the installation was difficult sounds like he doesn’t have the experience to be doing it, and not the right place if he’s picking up debris or he didn’t prep car properly, unfortunately I don’t think Suntek will consider this warranty
Lots of money spent and a bad result that’s just wrong
I had some concerns when I made my appointment to have the car done. The owner assured me he had done a number of high-end cars and his experience was no issue. Today when I went back and I told him if it was so difficult (in his words) that he probably should not be doing it. At that point he lost it and walked away from me swearing up a storm. Unfortunately I live in an economically depressed area and there are a few places that work on high-end cars when it comes to PPF.

Sponsored

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
If u paid with a credit card they might be of help, otherwise it’s up to the shop owners goodwill to fix the problem. I am not certain u have any other recourse, I don’t know how small claims court works in your state and whether their cap covers your losses. Usually small claims you can do yourself without an attorney. You would need lots of pictures not only of your car but also others that were done to perfection to persuade the judge to rule in your favor.

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
If u paid with a credit card they might be of help, otherwise it’s up to the shop owners goodwill to fix the problem. I am not certain u have any other recourse, I don’t know how small claims court works in your state and whether their cap covers your losses. Usually small claims you can do yourself without an attorney. You would need lots of pictures not only of your car but also others that were done to perfection to persuade the judge to rule in your favor.
I don't want to invest the time, it's not worth it to me. The job is far from perfect, but at least the front end is mostly protected. I have offered him a compromise via e-mail with a few days to respond before I leave feedback online.

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
If they wont correct the situation I would threaten to blog them. No business wants bad publicity
Sponsored