1st Mods on 2020 GT500

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom , can you tell that your Rs have the xpel when you look closely where the body panels meet? I was thinking about doing it but feel that there is no way in person that you cant tell that there is something covering the car.
Thanks.
If you look close enough, absolutely you can see it. However, a good xpel job will have minimal visible edges. What I ask for when the car gets xpel is to wrap the edges where possible. Not all edges can be wrapped and making it completely invisible is not possible. Xpel on a car is something worthy of bragging off. It is something that is way above and beyond and quite frankly expensive. When it is done right, it is not only beautiful, but practical. Driving a car like this, with sticky tires, throws rocks everywhere. Ford paint is famous for being soft and thin. Take an exotic color, like some of the tri coats, and touching up and paint matching is very difficult. My body shop guy looked at my triple yellow and said that it would be very difficult to match and couldn't guarantee (my kind of) perfection. With xpel, when I hear the pebbles bouncing off of my car, I just smile and keep on going.

Various levels of xpel cost incremental amounts of money. A whole car is about $5K. I've heard of getting the bear minimum coverage in the $1.5Kish range. In my triple yellow R, the xpel has paid for itself in the damage it has prevented.

The GT500 I have on order has the $10K stripes (ouch). Thats something I plan to fully protect. Rapid red is metallic. Probably a difficult paint to match. I plan to track the car. For all of the above reasons, it's worth it to me to protect the paint with a full Xpel job.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
As opposed to rock chips, and other paint damage? I don't think that's nuts at all. All my cars have PPF, more than what the other guy has and it has saved my ass quite a few times.
On a car that won't see but a few 1000 miles a year would you do Xpel? I have all my cars paint corrected and Ceramic coated but that doesn't help on big stuff. Just not sure its worth it, course few rock chips will prob change my mind.....

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
On a car that won't see but a few 1000 miles a year would you do Xpel? I have all my cars paint corrected and Ceramic coated but that doesn't help on big stuff. Just not sure its worth it, course few rock chips will prob change my mind.....
Yes, they will. Sticky tires make all the difference.

OP
OP
1stMustang-GT500

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Thanks as always Tom, i was planning on the paint correct and ceramic coat but will invest some more time in xpel research. Id like to keep this beautiful car free of as much paint damage as possible but still get it out and enjoy it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks as always Tom, i was planning on the paint correct and ceramic coat but will invest some more time in xpel research. Id like to keep this beautiful car free of as much paint damage as possible but still get it out and enjoy it.
And that is the best way to do it. Keep in mind Xpel is either/or in terms of ceramic coating. what you don't Xpel, I would ceramic coat, but you don't want to ceramic over the Xpel. Xpel is soft and gives to various forms of abrasion and damage. Ceramic does not. I've heard of some doing this, but every installer I ever used highly recommends not using ceramic over Xpel.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
As opposed to rock chips, and other paint damage? I don't think that's nuts at all. All my cars have PPF, more than what the other guy has and it has saved my ass quite a few times.
I’ve been ok on all my cars without it. Mud flaps is the main thing needed for me due to the wide tires. I don’t keep my cars long enough to justify that. I get bored and swap to the next best thing.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been ok on all my cars without it. Mud flaps is the main thing needed for me due to the wide tires. I don’t keep my cars long enough to justify that. I get bored and swap to the next best thing.
That's great.

geoking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
31,34,48 and 2019 Fords + a 58& 66 Chevy trucks
1. Ceramic coat is, well, good to a point. It adds a little hardness to the soft paint. The best protection is paint protection film or PPF. I've lined a company up and ready to go on the film.

2. Don't get another set of OEM wheels. For the price you'd spend on OEM, you can get a set of forged wheels from signature in the finish you want. Get with @50 Deep and see if he will get off his ass and make an OEM replica wheel. You'd be better off. It's a waiting game to see when something will be available from anyone. What tires would you use for just street use?

3. Hey, that's on you.
Tom, I'm so anxious to do something while we wait. I check build status and WIndow Sticker by VIN daily. That's not bringing much satisfaction. grin. SO....I pulled the trigger and ordered a "Swing and Gurney flap" . They have shipped and I will take them for painting body color (Performance Blue) .
When my car arrives, I can swap painted for black ,...back and forth to make a decision on which one I will go with.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom, I'm so anxious to do something while we wait. I check build status and WIndow Sticker by VIN daily. That's not bringing much satisfaction. grin. SO....I pulled the trigger and ordered a "Swing and Gurney flap" . They have shipped and I will take them for painting body color (Performance Blue) .
When my car arrives, I can swap painted for black ,...back and forth to make a decision on which one I will go with.
I am enthusiastic just like you, but I only call ford performance once a week. As a courtesy, they have asked in the past to only call once towards the end of the week.

Congrats on the gurney flap and swing. How much did that set you back?

geoking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
I am enthusiastic just like you, but I only call ford performance once a week. As a courtesy, they have asked in the past to only call once towards the end of the week.

Congrats on the gurney flap and swing. How much did that set you back?

I do not call Ford Performance
I just check on line :
http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FA6P8SJ4L5500xxx for the sticker with the last digits being your serial number
or
https://shop.ford.com/vehicleordertracking#/

I'm so embarrassed to post the price.:crying:
$3583.23 including shipping for the pair

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
I'm hoping to see someone in Houston bring one to Limitless Performance and Fabrication.
Would be awesome to see what kind of gains they could do to this car!

geoking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
It will be a while before that populates. Call Ford Performance once each Friday.

I'm guesing 2-3 weeks before the actual build before they populate. I believe that you have had some sage advice for us all..."Patience". My build week of 9/23 has not yet changed to a build day. With the final Mass Production release milestone shortly thereafter, there is a chance that early builds will be complete and waiting for release of the last milestone .

I believe that a 9/30/19 date appears on our DORA because it is the OKTB date. OK to BUY

'OKTB" being synonamous with "release to sell" .

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
I do not call Ford Performance
I just check on line :
http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FA6P8SJ4L5500xxx for the sticker with the last digits being your serial number
or
https://shop.ford.com/vehicleordertracking#/

I'm so embarrassed to post the price.:crying:
$3583.23 including shipping for the pair
If you don’t mind what is the last 3 of your build that could give us all a clue on how many they are up to of course not absolute truth but maybe some idea. PM if not wanting to put it out to world or not wanting to share thanks

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
May I ask 2 questions??? Whats a "swing"? And what did you pay for the "Gurney Flap"?? I have on order the "Handling Package" which is $1,500 and the only thing I really wanted is the Gurney Flap as I have no need for the "struts".