18 GT Hard Start, bbq, knocking noise

PeterJohn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just purchased my 10 spd GT w 16k miles a week ago today. Within that week I’ve experienced issues starting the car where it feels like it’s not going to turn over. I had a feeling it’s the battery but the more it happens it feels like it’s something with the engine. I also have a weird knocking noise after driving around for a while and then sitting idle. Shifting is very hard in normal driving mode too. Dealer isn’t too helpful giving me the next appt to look it over on September 1st which is like 3 month away lol. What do I do!
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Try another dealer is what I would do.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I just purchased my 10 spd GT w 16k miles a week ago today. Within that week I’ve experienced issues starting the car where it feels like it’s not going to turn over. I had a feeling it’s the battery but the more it happens it feels like it’s something with the engine. I also have a weird knocking noise after driving around for a while and then sitting idle. Shifting is very hard in normal driving mode too. Dealer isn’t too helpful giving me the next appt to look it over on September 1st which is like 3 month away lol. What do I do!
So Pete, did you buy it from a dealer or private sale. Did you test drive it before you finalized the sale?

So you have electrical, engine and transmission issues. Could be a whole lot of things. Yes, first check the battery. Also disconnect the battery for a while and let the car reset. Computer issues could be the cause of some of what you are encountering. Did you check your fluids? Motor oil and transmission fluid. Do you know when the last time the oil was changed and by who?

And lastly, listen to Hack. Your dealer is an ass, find another one.

OP
OP

PeterJohn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So Pete, did you buy it from a dealer or private sale. Did you test drive it before you finalized the sale?

So you have electrical, engine and transmission issues. Could be a whole lot of things. Yes, first check the battery. Also disconnect the battery for a while and let the car reset. Computer issues could be the cause of some of what you are encountering. Did you check your fluids? Motor oil and transmission fluid. Do you know when the last time the oil was changed and by who?

And lastly, listen to Hack. Your dealer is an ass, find another one.
I did test drive it before finalizing the sale and everything seemed clean. Previous owner did oil changes every 3k miles According to carfax which seems very aggressive. I have a feeling myself too that it’s the computer that just needs a reset.

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
Disconnecting the battery will reset some of the engine mapping like timing and fuel. It couldn't hurt, because it will relearn over time. However, if you have access to a tuner you could do a crank relearn. I would try that if the battery disconnect doesn't clear things up. Also, the dealer should be able to tell you if the car was ever tuned or not ... and if ever tuned is it still running a tune... Hmmm.

OP
OP

PeterJohn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Disconnecting the battery will reset some of the engine mapping like timing and fuel. It couldn't hurt, because it will relearn over time. However, if you have access to a tuner you could do a crank relearn. I would try that if the battery disconnect doesn't clear things up. Also, the dealer should be able to tell you if the car was ever tuned or not ... and if ever tuned is it still running a tune... Hmmm.
Just drove it around after a reset and it feels very different already. Much smoother shifts and that first gear doesn’t hit as hard as it did. I have been reading through some threads saying that it could struggle to start in warmer conditions. It was about 90 where I am today
Sponsored