Sponsored

16 Whipple GT Is this False Knock?

5.0Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Base
Hey guys I have a 2016 Ford Mustang GT with a 2.9L Whipple. I am started monitoring my Knock Sensor on My NGUAGE, and when I am cruising 5-6 gear at a low RPM and very little throttle I am getting upwards of +5-10 of Knock. But at WOT it is in the Negative so I am Very Confused any help would be Appreciate.
Sponsored

1100saber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush Charged GT PP
I have a roush 18, but not uncommon for me to see similar knock under light loads. My tuned ecoboost F150 will also show some knock under light load.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
If you are getting negative knock at WOT then you are good.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
This is normal.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Yes, go WOT all the time. jk. It is a non issue. The system is designed to lean out the fuel trims at light load/cruise to improve fuel mileage. You will also see your timing advance somewhere in the neighborhood of +40 or more under these conditions. Presumably you are using premium fuel or E85? As long as you aren't seeing + knock values under WOT all is well. The knock sensors are very sensitive and lean pinging occurs at very light loads because the air/fuel mixture is so lean. Knock under load is what will grenade your motor

OP
OP
5.0Dave

5.0Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Base
Yes, go WOT all the time. jk. It is a non issue. The system is designed to lean out the fuel trims at light load/cruise to improve fuel mileage. You will also see your timing advance somewhere in the neighborhood of +40 or more under these conditions. Presumably you are using premium fuel or E85? As long as you aren't seeing + knock values under WOT all is well. The knock sensors are very sensitive and lean pinging occurs at very light loads because the air/fuel mixture is so lean. Knock under load is what will grenade your motor
Ok thanks, I am running 93 But in the next few weeks I will be switching to E85 Fore Innovations Triple fuel pump setup and hopefully this will help

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Going to corn might cover some of that up, but what I am saying is that you are chasing a problem that isn't a problem.

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Aren't the new Whipples having tolerance issues right now? Could your impellers be touching the housing?

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Aren't the new Whipples having tolerance issues right now? Could your impellers be touching the housing?
Interesting. I would think if that were the case, It would only get worse as the blower spun faster, and OP states that knock is negative at WOT