Sponsored

16 Camaro A8 2SS for A10 GT now worried about all these engine failures.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I remember back in 11-12 the same threads on the gen 1 coyote. BBQ tick and number 8 cylinder. All motors will eventually fail. Internet hoons/complainers make it look 10x worse than it really is...
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Okay then, whilst 50-150 members here complain about the BBQ tick, you and maybe five others might have issues with your noise. If their issue is officially piddly, yours is downright minutely piddly :). All noises are piddly until something fails. Anyhow, this is an engine failure thread...not a noise thread.
As an automotive development engineer, I can tell you that no unknown noise in the powertrain is piddly. They are all worth investigating.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
As an automotive development engineer, I can tell you that no unknown noise in the powertrain is piddly. They are all worth investigating.
The next question is has Ford investigated the various noises and determined which ones are "known and not an issue"?
:)

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
The next question is has Ford investigated the various noises and determined which ones are "known and not an issue"?
for the average person to investigate each noise they didnt understand, might as well buy an electric car lol.. between injectors and lifters, gear whining and a list of other things i dont know.. I drive it.. and if it starts to sound different that i am used to then i start suspecting issues.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Most guys are getting the old "the noise is normal" line from dealerships. I didn't have it when the car was brand new. It developed sometime in the last 500 miles. It would be nice to know why it happens, and why it occurs under almost exactly the same conditions in many cars. I am sure we won't hear anything from Ford until there are high rates of complete failure. If those numbers remain low, there may never be info release.

I wouldn't have noticed mine, had I not been looking for it. I usually ride with the windows up and the A/C on, as summer is brutal in SC. I also have a resonator delete, which hides various noises.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Look at the warranty issues subsection. As of now, we don't know what is happening. Known issues so far:

-rattle (piston slap?)
-clutch grind/noise
-BBQ tick

Build dates with issues vary from November 17 to May 18. Honestly no one knows how many are faulty, how many are blown, how many are going to blow.
Are these issues post mod or stock cars? Although I believe I heard the tick from the beginning.

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
I remember back in 11-12 the same threads on the gen 1 coyote. BBQ tick and number 8 cylinder. All motors will eventually fail. Internet hoons/complainers make it look 10x worse than it really is...
You’re so correct!

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since there are so many threads/posts on the noises.

Have there been any reported failures with A10's, with or without mods? No apparent noises with my A10 in drive while power braking to about 2K in the driveway with the hood closed.

No noises at other times including both "cold" and HOT starts.

Thanks!

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
I know aerospace engineers who couldn't tell a noisy ac compressor clutch from a bad lifter so just because your an engineer, doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about your opinions concerning internal combustion engine troubleshooting.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Since there are so many threads/posts on the noises.

Have there been any reported failures with A10's, with or without mods? No apparent noises with my A10 in drive while power braking to about 2K in the driveway with the hood closed.

No noises at other times including both "cold" and HOT starts.

Thanks!
I haven't seen many complaints from the A10 owners. Power braking won't create the noise, as it is higher load. To create the rattle, I basically get it close to 2000rpm, and use about 25% throttle to raise up to 3000rpm. Sometimes I can get the load right to hold between 2200 and 3000, and it consistently rattles. As soon as I add more throttle, the rattle disappears. That's why I believe it has something to do with the transition from PFI to DI.

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Does it make them same noise whether in Park, Drive or neutral? Have you tried different oil or trans fluid? What about the drive shaft? Is it stock? U joint or balance issue?

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I know aerospace engineers who couldn't tell a noisy ac compressor clutch from a bad lifter so just because your an engineer, doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about your opinions concerning internal combustion engine troubleshooting.
I have been part of 2 engine development programs, and assisted in creating vehicle emissions fueling profiles. I am just fine with troubleshooting. My opinion was that the noise appears to be present in most 2018s on the forum, and that it is something worth looking into (due to many factors). Never once did I claim it means all these cars are doomed to fail or have mechanical issues. I thought the other 18 owners were just hearing typical DI noise until I was able to force the rattle. I have worked with diesel and gasoline direct injection for about 13 years, and this isn't anything I have heard before. I like to speak with data. The only data I have is that 44 - 2018 owners on this forum have an audible rattle noise. Some are severe cases that sound like pinging/knocking. Some come with BBQ tick. Others are mild, like mine. I hope that Ford or an experienced shop will soon come out with an explanation of what causes the noise. I hope that explanation also shows that it is safe and normal. Until that time, all we can do is research further and ask the right people for answers/information. Personally, I am going to log in different conditions, and see if the data will match the sound. If nothing shows up, that will give me some peace of mind for now.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Does it make them same noise whether in Park, Drive or neutral? Have you tried different oil or trans fluid? What about the drive shaft? Is it stock? U joint or balance issue?
I have a manual. I think most complaining about the issue are also M6 owners, but this could just be due to us keeping the car in gear for the load/engine speed that causes rattle.
Most cars are completely stock. My car has JLT intake and PBD tune. I am not touching the oil or any other fluids, unless they look low. This could be coming from the new clutch assembly, but it should increase with increased rpm. Some have the noise in neutral and in multiple gears, but mine is only there under light load. It isn't clear whether all noises are even related yet. I was hoping one of the shops would be experiencing it enough to dig into the drivetrain piece by piece.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't seen many complaints from the A10 owners. Power braking won't create the noise, as it is higher load. To create the rattle, I basically get it close to 2000rpm, and use about 25% throttle to raise up to 3000rpm. Sometimes I can get the load right to hold between 2200 and 3000, and it consistently rattles. As soon as I add more throttle, the rattle disappears. That's why I believe it has something to do with the transition from PFI to DI.
In addition to PFI to DI transition/overlap how about

Intake manifold with charge motion control valves (CMCV) enhances operational efficiency, idle stability and emissions

CMCV partially closes off port flow at lower engine speeds to increase air charge tumble and swirl for enhanced air-fuel mixing
The reason for asking is because the second video in post 45 almost sounds like "flutter" from airflow disturbance.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2288204&postcount=45

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Dump it while you can and go for a 19 SS.
Sponsored