Sponsored

16 Camaro A8 2SS for A10 GT now worried about all these engine failures.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Keep in mind that the people with problems are the ones coming to forums to discuss it. The people WITHOUT problems aren't here starting threads about it. As someone else said, forums aren't a good scientific study sample.
Its the same thing with the issues section and the polls there. Quite a few people take the numbers from a poll and say "this % of all people have the issue" (the Dodge trolls used to spam it all the time). Car forums are a biased sample already as it is.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Keep in mind that the people with problems are the ones coming to forums to discuss it. The people WITHOUT problems aren't here starting threads about it. As someone else said, forums aren't a good scientific study sample.
I would normally agree, but the noise seem to be there on every car. It isn't clear if it is a real failure issue, or just something weird with the new engine. I was one of the naysayers, claiming that my car was perfect and didn't have it. However, now that I know what to listen for, I can hear it all the time. If you didn't know to look for it, you probably wouldn't notice it. Guys with exhaust mods really wouldn't hear it.
There are some guys who have test driven multiple cars at a dealership, and all had a rattle.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
And Camaro engines never fail.

Forum fear based paranoia.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Lets guess a wildly high number and say 1500 US GT S550's have exploded and left pistons all over the road.

Fact is, 350,000 Mustangs have been sold in the US since 2015: http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/ford/ford-mustang/

Now lets be very conservative and say only a measly 125,000 of those are Coyote powered. That's 1.2 percent of Coyote powered GT Mustangs leaving pistons on the road. Now if you got 98.8 percent on your high school algebra exam, you'd be pretty gahdamned happy I'd suggest.

Hang on Jimmy....it's only the 2018 Mustangs with the issue, you say!! Ok then, lets do the numbers again:

There are about 88,000 2018 Mustangs on US roads. Using the same 35% estimate of total production being V8's (and pretending not a single 2015-2017 Coyote has ever failed), with our 1500 exploding engines we get 4.77% of 2018 V8 Mustangs leaving dinosaur juice stains on the tarmac. Better than a 95% pass mark. Still got an A.

Chillax.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Lets guess a wildly high number and say 1500 US GT S550's have exploded and left pistons all over the road.

Fact is, 350,000 Mustangs have been sold in the US since 2015: http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/ford/ford-mustang/

Now lets be very conservative and say only a measly 125,000 of those are Coyote powered. That's 1.2 percent of Coyote powered GT Mustangs leaving pistons on the road. Now if you got 98.8 percent on your high school algebra exam, you'd be pretty gahdamned happy I'd suggest.

Hang on Jimmy....it's only the 2018 Mustangs with the issue, you say!! Ok then, lets do the numbers again:

There are about 88,000 2018 Mustangs on US roads. Using the same 35% estimate of total production being V8's (and pretending not a single 2015-2017 Coyote has ever failed), with our 1500 exploding engines we get 4.77% of 2018 V8 Mustangs leaving dinosaur juice stains on the tarmac. Better than a 95% pass mark. Still got an A.

Chillax.
I don't think total failure is the issue. Those seem to still only be present in normal numbers. It is the weird noise between 2200-3000, which we aren't sure about the exact source. This does seem to be present in most of the 2018s, but the level varies from car to car. I am not too worried about it, but it leaves a lot of people with a bad taste.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
"all of the" I love when people use these words on a car that has probably sold over 20k units in the past 6 months with less than a 1% failure rate.

I have a november build. I have put almost 7k on it in less than 2 months. I've taken it to the strip and made several passes, hard mountain driving and just regular spirited driving and commuting. Car drives absolutely fine.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
I don't think total failure is the issue. Those seem to still only be present in normal numbers. It is the weird noise between 2200-3000, which we aren't sure about the exact source. This does seem to be present in most of the 2018s, but the level varies from car to car. I am not too worried about it, but it leaves a lot of people with a bad taste.

Old mate here started the thread and is worried about "engine failures"....not piddly nuisance engine noises.

And btw, not for nothin', the BBQ tick IS NOT PRESENT IN MOST OF THE 2018 GT's.

Cruising18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Oxford White GT
With 1800 miles on my 18 GT I’ve had my car in the shop for 12 days and counting. The engine has been torn down, built up. The transmission torn torn down, built up. And now it appears the cycle is being repeated (2nd stint in the shop currently). I would imagine overall the build quality is still very good with these engines. However, when there are so many new variables as is the case with the 18’s (engine, transmission, etc) there are bound to be new problems and the problems inevitably may take longer to figure out —due to all the changes of mechanical combinations. When the car runs, it’s great! The changes to the 18 are game changers. However, as it’s been stated over and over, it’s always a risk going w/ the new product when they’re still trying to work out the kinks (or have limited parts available for 18 due to the newness of the vehicle).

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The real problem is. The OP wants to mod right away. That's always taking a risk. And everyone is scared they'll get that one in 10,000 cars that fail. But I've always lived by the modo. If you cant afford the repairs. Don't make the mods!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Old mate here started the thread and is worried about "engine failures"....not piddly nuisance engine noises.

And btw, not for nothin', the BBQ tick IS NOT PRESENT IN MOST OF THE 2018 GT's.
This isn't the BBQ tick. Completely different noise. It isn't piddly if you don't know what causes it. It could be a major issue, or it could be a simple loose part that won't harm anything. I am willing to bet I could make most 2018s on the lot do it right now. If you know the operating mode and what to listen for, it is easy to hear. I am hoping it is just a normal transitional noise for the PFI to DI system, or something like that.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
"all of the" I love when people use these words on a car that has probably sold over 20k units in the past 6 months with less than a 1% failure rate.

I have a november build. I have put almost 7k on it in less than 2 months. I've taken it to the strip and made several passes, hard mountain driving and just regular spirited driving and commuting. Car drives absolutely fine.
I had the same opinion, then I figured out how to make the rattle occur. Once you hear it, the damn think won't get out of your head. It's a lot like if you have a creek in the dash. It just bothers you until you know what is causing it.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
@mvfjet should be able to chime in here.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
what made you choose the mustang over the camaro especially with low miles....

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
This isn't the BBQ tick. Completely different noise. It isn't piddly if you don't know what causes it. It could be a major issue, or it could be a simple loose part that won't harm anything. I am willing to bet I could make most 2018s on the lot do it right now. If you know the operating mode and what to listen for, it is easy to hear. I am hoping it is just a normal transitional noise for the PFI to DI system, or something like that.

Okay then, whilst 50-150 members here complain about the BBQ tick, you and maybe five others might have issues with your noise. If their issue is officially piddly, yours is downright minutely piddly :). All noises are piddly until something fails. Anyhow, this is an engine failure thread...not a noise thread.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i can only go by experiences i have seen..several local a10 5.0 and not one issue encountered yet.. although i do think the highest mileage one is 10k miles on tune/intake.. im at 4500 now stock..
Sponsored