camnuts44

2015 Mustang GT PP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp (black)
So I was headed to work and I noticed a camaro right on my tail. I was traveling 55mph and I got the itch. Assuming that the camaro was a stock ss I shouldn't have a problem with this chump... I down shifted to 3rd and laid into her. Then grabbed 4th and here comes the camaro sling shots passed me. I was dumbfounded, then I see it the "ss" was infact a zl1 :frusty: i actually pulled over to talk to him and we both drooled over eachothers cars. He said his first choice was the gt350 but couldn't wait another year. Hopefully I get a track day invite to seek revenge with the zl1. All in all I'm 0-1 in racing but I don't feel terrible losing to 600+hp
Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
So I was headed to work and I noticed a camaro right on my tail. I was traveling 55mph and I got the itch. Assuming that the camaro was a stock ss I shouldn't have a problem with this chump... I down shifted to 3rd and laid into her. Then grabbed 4th and here comes the camaro sling shots passed me. I was dumbfounded, then I see it the "ss" was infact a zl1 :frusty: i actually pulled over to talk to him and we both drooled over eachothers cars. He said his first choice was the gt350 but couldn't wait another year. Hopefully I get a track day invite to seek revenge with the zl1. All in all I'm 0-1 in racing but I don't feel terrible losing to 600+hp
580hp actually :thumbsup:

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
A few boltons and a tune is all it takes to beat one. They are pretty slow actually for 580 hp.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
A few boltons and a tune is all it takes to beat one. They are pretty slow actually for 580 hp.
They are actually slow. I was going to get one until I realized how slow they are.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
They are actually slow. I was going to get one until I realized how slow they are.
This, I'm surprised how slow they are given their power #'s.

I think a stock ZL1 will trap in the mid teen's so a tune and exhaust and its might actually be a drivers race. Not sure about the 2015's though, but if they're unchanged they're still barely above the GT stock for stock.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
This, I'm surprised how slow they are given their power #'s.

I think a stock ZL1 will trap in the mid teen's so a tune and exhaust and its might actually be a drivers race. Not sure about the 2015's though, but if they're unchanged they're still barely above the GT stock for stock.

ZL1's are heavy. 4,150LBS with an auto, about 4,130 with a manual. The thing is a piglet that is saved only by it's MRC suspension. It's also suffered from price creep that interestingly hasn't been talked about much...it now starts at nearly $58,000 and jumps past $62,000 with ease

This is the fact that always makes me laugh when the flapping skulls over at Camaro5 like to call the Challenger a "pig" when the ZL1 is just as heavy. (Note: the Hellcat is heavier by about 300lbs)

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
I don't think Chevy ever intended to win drag races with the Zl1, it was more about the handling and winning on a track. It gets destroyed by the Shelby 0-100 wise, but usually won over the course of several laps due to the brake fade problems.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I don't think Chevy ever intended to win drag races with the Zl1, it was more about the handling and winning on a track. It gets destroyed by the Shelby 0-100 wise, but usually won over the course of several laps due to the brake fade problems.

No, the ZL1 wasn't designed to be the drag strip slayer. They tried to crow about it at first about how you could "take this car to the track and run 11's all day long" and even tossed a video around of a "stock" ZL1 running in the low 11.90's..until it was revealed it was on slicks.

Then suddenly the ZL1 was "never intended to be a drag car".

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
ZL1's are heavy. 4,150LBS with an auto, about 4,130 with a manual. The thing is a piglet that is saved only by it's MRC suspension. It's also suffered from price creep that interestingly hasn't been talked about much...it now starts at nearly $58,000 and jumps past $62,000 with ease

This is the fact that always makes me laugh when the flapping skulls over at Camaro5 like to call the Challenger a "pig" when the ZL1 is just as heavy. (Note: the Hellcat is heavier by about 300lbs)
True, its a good bit heavier, but looking at power to weight ratio's you'd think that the extra hp would overcome that.

3700lbs @ 435hp = .118hp per pound.

4150lbs @ 580hp = .14hp per pound.

The ZL1 could roughly match the GT's power to weight ratio simply by having ~500hp. I just don't understand how that extra 80ish hp doesn't translate into a larger lead. It has almost the exact same ratio as a C7 Vet. While I understand that's not the only factor in determining how fast a car will accelerate, but generally speaking its a good rule of thumb.

I'm just really surprised at how poorly that power translates into raw acceleration, and weight really isn't much of an excuse imo.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
True, its a good bit heavier, but looking at power to weight ratio's you'd think that the extra hp would overcome that.

3700lbs @ 435hp = .118hp per pound.

4150lbs @ 580hp = .14hp per pound.

The ZL1 could roughly match the GT's power to weight ratio simply by having ~500hp. I just don't understand how that extra 80ish hp doesn't translate into a larger lead. It has almost the exact same ratio as a C7 Vet. While I understand that's not the only factor in determining how fast a car will accelerate, but generally speaking its a good rule of thumb.

I'm just really surprised at how poorly that power translates into raw acceleration, and weight really isn't much of an excuse imo.
I cannot explain it either. The only time I ever saw a ZL1 run was in September of 2012, and it was a manual. Best run was something like 12.6 at 110. That I primarily put down as driver error especially since I saw a 2013 GT500 the next day only run a 12.4 @ 116

Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I cannot explain it either.

Since when has anything put out by a government owned body done anything it's supposed to?

Seriously (ok I was serious but you get the drift), the Camaro is so far under the bar set by the mustang and Shelby in so many ways it's pitiful. My stock 11 would run off and hide from even lightly modded camaros and the zl1 is barely faster than a gt. It carries all the way through all models. The 1le is fast on a road course but still a pile of money for what it is.

I got a buddy who is very open minded, no brand loyalty at all. He bought a 10 Camaro when they dropped. When the 11 5.0 came along, we went and drove it. His exact words where "anyone who drives both the Camaro and the Mustang and still buys the Camaro has a great big number 3 tattood on them somewhere"

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
the zl1 isn't 580 to the wheels its alot less for sure and then the added weight makes it comparable to a gt with less weight and some boltons so it makes sense to me

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
But the GT isn't 435 to the wheels either. They will both lose fairly similar numbers when on a chassis dyno.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
But the GT isn't 435 to the wheels either. They will both lose fairly similar numbers when on a chassis dyno.

Stock to stock there is about 100WHP/TQ difference between the two. ZL1's typically put down about 480 WHP, GT's about 380

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
It's not as bad as people think a few boltons and you are Damn close to a zl1 with less weight
Sponsored