Sponsored

15-17 owners, what will make you trade for an '18?

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Nothing. Pretty happy with my car, the only thing I would upgrade for is if they peeled two or three hundred pounds out of the car.
Sponsored

Carnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I owned a 15-17, I would not trade up to an 18. Although the 2018 is much improved in all aspects IMO thus far, it would not be enough to start over again. Recently rented a 2017 GT premium for a week. 800 mile test drive in south Texas. Awesome car, even if I dislike the front end!

MedStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Guard GT PP 401A
Like others, not a big fan of the front-end or the spoiler, but there are obviously some nice upgrades performance-wise. However, I won't be trading-in anytime soon. I do take some solace in that Guard won't be available, at least on the 18's. I would imagine my next upgrade will come in 2020 or 2021, and at that point I plan on upgrading to hopefully a Shelby (GT500 please).

This talk got me thinking. What are some opinions on the pros and cons of trading in a car that you paid cash for vs. got a loan on vs. leased?

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
a simple Steeda or PMAS no tune CAI will get you approx 20 at the wheels for $400 so..... Trading in for a few hp is silly, especially if it pans true and it is 455 hp. A simple CAI on top of 435 will get you there for a few hundred bucks.

Especially with the big S650 refresh in 2 years.

Sponsored

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
No interest buying a new mustang at all regardless of what they do with the '18 and how much I love it or not. That's just not how I work. Cars paid for and I'm not done modding it. Be a complete waste of money.

Id say maybe 2020 or when ever a new gen arrives with this new hybrid motor, but even then I think I'll still be modding and having fun with my '15 and making the most out of the money I put into it.

Besides I think my next new vehcile will be a Bronco

ravengenesis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rai
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
refreshed made me even more certain I don't need a newer model, my "16 with hood signals and basic cabin is exactly how I like my car, affordable, powerful and won't be obsolete... especially if it never had fancy doodads to begin with.

quad tips I like the GT350 better honestly, mag ride is great by hurts my wallet more than my butt... front look bad, like ugly bad... 10speed auto... i'll stay stick even if it was 100 speed auto. 10" multi-color display? I'm driving, not watching a techno movie.. cool to have but takes away from my driving focus.

I'm sure I'll pay close attention to the raptor too... the new model year F150 has serious grille issues that I pray wouldn't transfer to the '18 raptor (can't afford a 17 raptor at this point)

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Only having the low end grunt of my modded LS2 would make me trade.

SeaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0
After trading in my beloved 2005 Ford Mustang GT I am considering buying a 2018 Ford Mustang GT when fall rolls around. Kind of still thinking that being an early adopter to new tech is not always good (always purchase the 3rd or 4th gen after they work out all the bugs). But the 2018 has a lot to offer a buyer who is going back to the Mustang. Have to test drive one and then crunch the numbers, heck maybe I buy a 2017 GT Premium PP lighting blue right off the lot.

:ford:
You should never have traded in your beloved 2005. I LOVE my 05 GT to death. And thats with me owning my 15 5.0 for 2 years now. The 05 is immeasurably more fun to drive, the 4.6 sounds better, the solid rear axle hooks up better. The new car is antiseptic, boring, and doesnt get off the line properly. I am seriously debating what to do with my 15. I'm thinking Camaro or Scat Pack Challenger (though its way too big).

Sponsored

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
15-17 owners, what will make you trade for an '18?

MONEY!!! Very happy with our 2015 EB...I would love to trade in for a GT but I would probably be upside down on the loan on a trade-in and take a substantial hit so its a no brainer....Plus I just bought a 2016 F150 in June

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Besides a Bullitt car...

Revised 6sd manual with.... remote start.

And a healthy performance bump and a cellphone app that can function as a fob might get me.

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Now that I've seen the MY18 convertible, I'll say this:

The looks are almost a wash, some things I like better, some less, but it's a great looking car in either S550v1 or S550v2 :)

There's a few things what would have to align for me: trade value, discount on the new car, not trading the other car, but if all that came together, I might consider it.

Why?

As much as I absolutely love driving a 6-speed manual, I would be nice for the wife and I to be able to occasionally swap cars (no interest in her learning to drive a manual ...) and having the new 10-speed auto would allow this.

Would I be OK with an auto, well, I've got say, some of the decision to buy a manual was the Perf Package, I really wanted it, and we know the unavailability with the auto (in MY15-17). I was also a touch underwhelmed with the offered auto (even if the PP was offered in '16).

So now I've got the option to drive a PP Gen 2 car (that sounds like it will be notably better) with a really slick 10-speed auto, that the wife can also drive - plus getting the additional perks like Mag Suspension.

I guess I'd say I'm in a wait-and-see mode, with regards the final product and the logistics on my end when these cars come available :)

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
If my car was stock i'd upgrade asap, but its not so that ends that!

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I honestly thought the 18 refresh wasn't gonna be much, i thought it was gonna be some small fascia revisions, a tiny bump in power, and some newer tech goodies. But this to me looks pretty substantial. I would definitely trade my EcoBoost for an 18 GT.
Sponsored