Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I'd be curious if you'd notice any difference switching to Sports+ before your temps are up. It might be just a byproduct of the fluid level issue that has everyone thinking the transmission has to be warm before switching. Mine doesn't.
On my 2020 GT, if I take off in Sport+ without warming up, I get the rough 4th to 5th gear shift, reverse will be jerky, and it will sometimes hang in 1st gear. Once the car is warmed up, it drives smooth.
Sponsored

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
On my 2020 GT, if I take off in Sport+ without warming up, I get the rough 4th to 5th gear shift, reverse will be jerky, and it will sometimes hang in 1st gear. Once the car is warmed up, it drives smooth.
Interesting. In mine, since the tranny fluid top-off, Sports+ is 99% smooth throughout from a cold start. Certainly, none of what you describe, with the only issue being an occasional slightly harsher 3-4 shift that's been getting better the more I drive in the mode. It also seems to be throttle-related when it actually happens.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Same. Sometimes low speeds like driving through parking lots and such there are some awfully bad jerky shifts - even when fully warmed up.

Interesting. In mine, since the tranny fluid top-off, Sports+ is 99% smooth throughout from a cold start. Certainly, none of what you describe, with the only issue being an occasional slightly harsher 3-4 shift that's been getting better the more I drive in the mode. It also seems to be throttle-related when it actually happens.
Of course Ford really needs to fix the trans fluid level from the factory. It blows mind mind this is still a problem.

I am convinced that some of these trans just don't work right. I am still not particularly happy with mine even after getting a handful of new internals (retooling the valve body). It is better than it was, but still not as good as everyone seems to say it is. My transmission is tolerable now but at this point I have basically given up on this transmission.

I have ordered the Ford Performance Tune (gotta' keep that warranty for this transmission!!)- I have heard it makes the car shift smoother and better. I hope this is true. But currently waiting because its on back order form Ford.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
My new 2023 GT will be arriving any day now. I will keep you guys posted on how the transmission behaves.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
Same. Sometimes low speeds like driving through parking lots and such there are some awfully bad jerky shifts - even when fully warmed up.
I'm sure you've already checked/topped off your tranny fluid, but man, that's exactly how mine was before I had mine done. I didn't get the hanging in 1st gear, but when driving at low throttle the car felt like it was a bucking bronco during certain shifts (mainly 3-4 and 4-5). And that was when warmed up as well.

It might just be the luck of the draw. When adequately configured (i.e., fully flashed and liquid topped off), some might be excellent transmissions. Mine seems to qualify (knock on wood). But some seem complete trash.

It's a disappointment.

Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure you've already checked/topped off your tranny fluid, but man, that's exactly how mine was before I had mine done. I didn't get the hanging in 1st gear, but when driving at low throttle the car felt like it was a bucking bronco during certain shifts (mainly 3-4 and 4-5). And that was when warmed up as well.

It might just be the luck of the draw. When adequately configured (i.e., fully flashed and liquid topped off), some might be excellent transmissions. Mine seems to qualify (knock on wood). But some seem complete trash.

It's a disappointment.
I've had my car at 3 separate dealerships and each one said the transmission fluid was OK. Who knows if they even checked. Over the last 2 years, I just got used to driving it. Every once in a blue Moon, the transmission will still do something whacky like a harsh shift or buck/jerk in reverse, but then it drives great for an extended period of time.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Mines bumpy when cold. 10-15 mins of mixed driving, then Sport + is fine.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
The FP tune will help with the trans shifting after it relearns your driving habits. It improved mine even though it was not as issue before the FP tune. The FP tune just made it better. The FP tune erases all adaptive learning that has taken place from new so will require about 500 miles to fully adapt, you will see improvement in the first 50-100 miles though.

BD

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
The FP tune will help with the trans shifting after it relearns your driving habits. It improved mine even though it was not as issue before the FP tune. The FP tune just made it better. The FP tune erases all adaptive learning that has taken place from new so will require about 500 miles to fully adapt, you will see improvement in the first 50-100 miles though.

BD
Do you know if the Ford performance tune will be offered for the 2023 Mustangs?
On the web-site, it states for 2018 - 2021.

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium

Bullit69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manny
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT Premium Convertible

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
My 2023 has arrived. I have less than 200 miles on it so far, and my only issue is in Sport Mode+. When I accelerate at a gentle speed from a dead stop at a light or stop sign, the trans gets hung-up between 1st and 2nd. Also, when it tries to shift into 2nd, the power of the engine seems to be reduced like I took my foot off the gas (but I don't). Then, it shifts hard into 2nd. No other problems as I continue to accelerate.
If I take off at a firm speed and/or gun it from a complete stop, no problems whatsoever going into 2nd.
I'm wondering if this is the learning curve the trans has to go through.
BTW - no CEL or other lights. All other gears (3 - 10) are fine.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
I have a 2022 A10 with less than 500 miles on it. In Normal Mode driving normally the car shifts perfectly. If I go to Sport + and drive it normally the 3/4 shift is fairly harsh. Unless I want to push it at all I just leave it in Normal, like you I know that the transmission is learning but your case seems kinda over the top with the 1/2 shift
Sponsored