Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
To provide a quick update (in case you missed my thread on the main forum, and this is all following topping off my transmission fluid):

1. Normal mode shifting is perfection. Zero harshness in any shift up or down. Smooth as silk, warm or cold.

2. Sports/Sports+ modes, again warm or cold, feel as smooth as Normal mode. The shifts are just quicker and "sportier," as to be expected. I'm now starting in Sports+ mode and leaving it there, even on quick, lazy drives around the neighborhood. The car's so much more responsive and fun to drive, even without pushing it. The only caveat is that I'm still getting very occasional harsher 3-4 shifts (that seem to be getting better with more driving sessions) that seem related to how much throttle I'm giving it. If I hit the throttle just right, it will happen, otherwise, it's smooth.

3. Track mode, warm or cold, is just what you'd expect. Just more responsive and quicker shifts but no harshness. I could comfortably drive around in Track mode if I wanted.

Ford really needs to do something about this. My car seems like a different vehicle since I had the transmission fluid topped off. I enjoy driving it so much more than I did before when the transmission was lurching and bucking all over the place. If you haven't had yours checked, do so even if you're not particularly bothered by the transmission -- you might find it's low and that your transmission can perform even better.
Sponsored

Last edited:

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Horee Cap!
Gotta keep an eye on this one

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
To provide a quick update (in case you missed my thread on the main forum, and this is all following topping off my transmission fluid):

1. Normal mode shifting is perfection. Zero harshness in any shift up or down. Smooth as silk, warm or cold.

2. Sports/Sports+ modes, again warm or cold, feel as smooth as Normal mode. The shifts are just quicker and "sportier," as to be expected. I'm now starting in Sports+ mode and leaving it there, even on quick, lazy drives around the neighborhood. The car's so much more responsive and fun to drive, even without pushing it. The only caveat is that I'm still getting very occasional harsher 3-4 shifts (that seem to be getting better with more driving sessions) that seem related to how much throttle I'm giving it. If I hit the throttle just right, it will happen, otherwise, it's smooth.

3. Track mode, warm or cold, is just what you'd expect. Just more responsive and quicker shifts but no harshness. I could comfortably drive around in Track mode if I wanted.

Ford really needs to do something about this. My car seems like a different vehicle since I had the transmission fluid topped off. I enjoy driving it so much more than I did before when the transmission was lurching and bucking all over the place. If you haven't had yours checked, do so even if you're not particularly bothered by the transmission -- you might find it's low and that your transmission can perform even better.
This is definitely worth checking!
I'm going to ask a local performance shop how much to check my level on my 21 Mach 1.
I don't trust the Ford Dealership.

Hwangmihee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lambert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Mustang
New update guys. Ford had my car for a week and overhauled the valve body, the brains of the transmission.

Took it for a test drive to 4 cities and it looked great, except at a single red light that night, my car's engine turned off again, stalling.

Told myself okay the car is super smooth now, Ford said changing the valve body wouldn't fix the stall but fix my transmission disconnecting.

The following day, I was driving in 7th gear and the transmission disconnected again...

Back to square one boys. Depression.
God I love my car but I've grown to hate it now. No mods whatsoever to the powertrain/drivetrain and now the issue is even more persistent than ever. Actually unsafe to drive. Within 2 minutes, you can see me stall twice and then the transmission "slipping". This issue has persisted since May of 2022 and has not been resolved by any Ford Dealer.

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Is track mode any less Trac Cont than Sport+? I'd be fine trying Track mode all of the time if it made sense.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
Is track mode any less Trac Cont than Sport+? I'd be fine trying Track mode all of the time if it made sense.
I believe in track and drag modes the traction control is off, but the advance traction is still on but may be mistaken also. I know my car will spin the tires on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift in drag mode versus not spinning in D, S, S+.

BD

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Yeah I was just looking at the online manual. I don't mind the car once warmed in sport, and Id honestly prefer having more TC and stability.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I only use track and drag once in a while, normally drive in D or S.

BD

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Track mode has very aggressive downshifting

Sponsored

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Track mode has very aggressive downshifting
Agreed. I said earlier that I’d be okay all the time in Track mode, but that’s probably not true because of the more aggressive downshifting. It does get tiring.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I was just looking at the online manual. I don't mind the car once warmed in sport, and Id honestly prefer having more TC and stability.
Just wanted to stress, mine is smooth in Sports/Sports+ mode from a cold start. I don't have to let it warm up before it becomes comfortable to use.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mine is also smooth in all modes cold or warm but I have also made sure my trans fluid is at the proper level.

It was about half a quart low when I check it so not as bad as some have found but still low.

BD

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
My A10 trans has been pretty good overall, I still prefer the twin clutch in my previous Golf 7R. This is mainly because it was more responsive on downshifts and drove a lot better in full manual mode (with paddles).
I usually drive in normal just until engine and trans temp is up or if I’m peak hour traffic.
Once it hits operating temp I always switch to sport+/track depending on who is in the car with me.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
My A10 trans has been pretty good overall, I still prefer the twin clutch in my previous Golf 7R. This is mainly because it was more responsive on downshifts and drove a lot better in full manual mode (with paddles).
I usually drive in normal just until engine and trans temp is up or if I’m peak hour traffic.
Once it hits operating temp I always switch to sport+/track depending on who is in the car with me.
I'd be curious if you'd notice any difference switching to Sports+ before your temps are up. It might be just a byproduct of the fluid level issue that has everyone thinking the transmission has to be warm before switching. Mine doesn't.
Sponsored