10k Mark Up on GT in SoCal

Turrizm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
$10k mark up would be really bad business to do a customer like that knowing that in a few short weeks/months mustangs will be all over the place and the buyer will probably feel ripped off and never want to buy from the dealer again.
Sponsored

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
Hahaha I told you guys, 10K mark up in SoCal. At least the Kuwaitis got the 50th anniversary package hahahaha. In defense of SD, only one dealer had this mark-up, the rest that I called that had the car, it was 5K. Going back to this dealer, this mustang $51K with those rims? Yuk! Pass!
There is a saying in Mexico...."no hay que llegar primero, sino hay que saber llegar" more or less like this "is not about arriving first, but knowing how to arrive"
I'll wait a couple of months after the Camaro is introduced. Can't wait. When I was a kid, 2015 was my favorite year because of Back to the Future II. Now? Becasue of the S550!!

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Everyone is in a different situation financially. Some of us may not think twice about "throwing away" $5.00 a day on a fancy coffee in the morning. To us, that amount of money doesn't bear an extra thought. There are others out there for whom paying an extra $10,000 merits the same lack of concern. Not sure how many of them are getting a Mustang, but the point is that everyone places a different value on that money.

Now, here's another train of thought. How many of you hypocrites will gladly take a $10,000 discount were one offered. Yet you cry bloody murder when a dealership has a car that is in enough demand to allow them to make some of that money back? Seems like if you are OK accepting the discount when supply and demand favor the buyer, then you should also be willing to allow the dealer to try and get more when the demand is in the other direction. I personally would never pay $10,000 extra, but I don't begrudge them for trying. If nothing else it lets the car stay on the lot, generating interest in the brand. I'm sure this same dealership will be offering incentives in a few years when the 7th gen is arriving.

-T
You most certainly can laugh at them, or begrudge idiots. A $10,000 markup on a car that you can just order down the street at the next dealer is foolish.

The car won't sell, the dealer is using it to create noise. Unfortunately, it is the wrong kind, and illustrates ignorant greed.

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like said before this is L.A. The type of person who pays that is NOT paying $10k extra for a Mustang, they're paying 10k extra to be the first person on their block with a new toy. Money means nothing and within 6 months they'll get board and trade it in (for $29k) for a new Maserati.

Sponsored

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Everyone is in a different situation financially. Some of us may not think twice about "throwing away" $5.00 a day on a fancy coffee in the morning. To us, that amount of money doesn't bear an extra thought. There are others out there for whom paying an extra $10,000 merits the same lack of concern.
There are also a lot of folks that figure anyone who dumps 8k or so extra to get a GT, besides all the extra gas money & insurance & etc is a pretty silly person indeed. Financial planning wise I'm a thinkin we is in a glass house right here.

Many of us can swing the GT and are ok with the cost/benefit. If I had another digit or two on my bank account I'd drop the extra 10k cash if the mood struck me & screw you guys if you don't like it :).

5.0-PoPo

Live Free or Die
Threads
Reaction score
I have a fantastic idea: if you don't want dealers to sell anything over MSRP, how about we make it so that dealers can't sell anything below MSRP, as well. Would that benefit consumers or dealers? I'll give you a hint, I'd much rather that we got MSRP for everything we sell.
Oh, now there's a very valid point!

Anyone remember the $3K mark-up on a Harley? Not sure about now, but I know most dealers in the southeast would tack 3K on a 18K bike in a heartbeat. It was nearly impossible to find a HD at MSRP.

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
The manufacturer can suggest anything they want, but they CAN NOT tell a dealer how much to sell cars for as it would violate dealer franchise laws. And, again, an ASKING price is not the final selling price, so you're getting your panties in a bunch for absolutely no reason at all. Any serious buyer can walk into a dealership and negotiate a fair price, regardless of the original asking price.

I have a fantastic idea: if you don't want dealers to sell anything over MSRP, how about we make it so that dealers can't sell anything below MSRP, as well. Would that benefit consumers or dealers? I'll give you a hint, I'd much rather that we got MSRP for everything we sell.
Trust me, I know the actual cost versus msrp....I understand it completely.... still selling it at msrp is still going to get you a good chunk of money.... I also work at a dealership though it is not cars rather mostly warehouse material handling.... not a sales person just a technician there for 10 years.... my company, until the manufacturers buy out has been in business since the 1970s .... still doing the same business... with a huge marketshare...... most stuff that have a ridiculous markup is parts... for some people, its different.. as well as business to business.... anyways, I know it's completely negotiable but most people rather not go through any hassle of that.

RussTKD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Oh, now there's a very valid point!

Anyone remember the $3K mark-up on a Harley? Not sure about now, but I know most dealers in the southeast would tack 3K on a 18K bike in a heartbeat. It was nearly impossible to find a HD at MSRP.

At the time though, Harleys were in very limited supply and had a much greater demand.

Now their production meets or even slightly exceeds demand, so prices aren't nearly as inflated.

Don't tell that to the old guy down the street with the Heritage Softtail for sale though.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Ever bought a house? Did you pay full asking price or did you negotiate $10K, $20K, or even more off that asking price before closing. An asking price is simply a starting point for negotiating and is often much, much higher than the actual transaction price when the dust settles.

Negotiating is certainly something I detest, so I'm glad I work for a dealership that does not negotiate (we're one of the rare 'one price' Ford stores out there).
Which dealer do you work for? Just curious. ..

Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
It's LA. A fool and his money are easily parted.
Yeah.... it is pretty evident when you swing into a gas station...lol. gotta love the smog test too...special requirements for emissions suck for California... I can literally tell the difference with a same model truck or car from cali and one from Texas...

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Maybe they don't want to sell it, yet.

Mark it up, put it on the showroom floor and put a scrolling message on the marquee (which is what drove the OP into the dealership). Then, for 80% of the people coming in that wouldn't buy it anyway, move them into another car and make a sale. This is advertising at work, and if someone really wants to buy it for $10k over, they still make insane money.

When there are more cars on the lots, that ADM will probably disappear like it was never there. That said, when I go to a dealership and see the ADM stickers I don't bother trying to negotiate. There's no sense starting from a negative position so I just leave.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe

289isfine

289isfine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1200R
How many are they going to build the first year? I read somewhere 80-90k.

Sounds like a lot from one plant. Even if they run a 3rd shift.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
How many are they going to build the first year? I read somewhere 80-90k.

Sounds like a lot from one plant. Even if they run a 3rd shift.
They can run 500-600 a day in two shifts at normal speed. 260 work days a year so maybe 130,000 to 150,000 full capacity.

They are currently working OT (Saturdays) to catch up. So the potential for a big year is there. Tempered, I guess, by the likelihood that 2015 will be a 10-month production year since they didn't start until 8/27.
Sponsored