Outside tire wear

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I don’t know what my ‘19 was set at the factory but this can’t be right. I’ve got 5300 miles and the outer tread is pretty much gone. I did rotate at 5,000 miles and all four have the same were patterns.
I’m thinking a touch negative camber will solve my problem. Maybe a little more than a touch, I’m planning my first track day next month. I do not have the adjustable plates. Do I need them for proper adjustments?
This car is pretty much all street with maybe a track day once or twice a year.
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Toe is a lot more responsible for uneven wear than camber

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I don’t know what my ‘19 was set at the factory but this can’t be right. I’ve got 5300 miles and the outer tread is pretty much gone. I did rotate at 5,000 miles and all four have the same were patterns.
I’m thinking a touch negative camber will solve my problem. Maybe a little more than a touch, I’m planning my first track day next month. I do not have the adjustable plates. Do I need them for proper adjustments?
Getting an alignment would certainly be helpful, and no you don’t need camber plates to make the adjustments. Until you get an alignment, it’s just a guess what setting, if any, is off.

Since you have a ‘19 I'm assuming you have cup 2’s, which have a super low mileage rating as it is. My tires have never lasted more than 1,000 miles so I can’t speak from experience, but I seemed to remember reading that street driving guys saying to expect 6,000-8,000 miles out of cup 2’s. Also, if I remember correctly, the outer 1/3 of the cup 2 is a softer compound than the inner and middle 1/3, meaning it’ll wear faster than the rest of the tire.

I just swapped tires and got realigned a few hours ago. The tire in the middle is one of my fronts, the other two are rears. I’ll admit... the fronts were looking pretty rough. Those tires represent about 300 street miles, and 10 hours on track with a healthy amount of negative camber.

0BB6863E-C122-4074-8B67-1EA5ED4E7A45.jpeg

Idrisbey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2019-GT350
I do not have any pictures right now, but my 2019 is having the same issue; all 4 tires have a lot more wear on the outside than the middle and the inside. I have a little over 4000 miles. Never tracked. I am guessing at this rate I will be shopping for tires before 10K miles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Thank you guys.
Originally I was planning on replacing annually. I’m at 9 months so I guess I’m ok ;-)

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Getting an alignment would certainly be helpful, and no you don’t need camber plates to make the adjustments. Until you get an alignment, it’s just a guess what setting, if any, is off.

Since you have a ‘19 I'm assuming you have cup 2’s, which have a super low mileage rating as it is. My tires have never lasted more than 1,000 miles so I can’t speak from experience, but I seemed to remember reading that street driving guys saying to expect 6,000-8,000 miles out of cup 2’s. Also, if I remember correctly, the outer 1/3 of the cup 2 is a softer compound than the inner and middle 1/3, meaning it’ll wear faster than the rest of the tire.

I just swapped tires and got realigned a few hours ago. The tire in the middle is one of my fronts, the other two are rears. I’ll admit... the fronts were looking pretty rough. Those tires represent about 300 street miles, and 10 hours on track with a healthy amount of negative camber.

0BB6863E-C122-4074-8B67-1EA5ED4E7A45.jpeg
That top tire looks very familiar!

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
That top tire looks very familiar!
Ha!

To be honest, without seeing your tires, your likely experiencing normal wear. Post a pic maybe?

The top and bottom tire in that picture had heat cycled out, or I would have run them another day. Decent amount of meat left.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I have a 2019 I just bought new, with the SC2's. Everything I've read says you can expect to get about 5,000 miles normal street use. So it seems you got the normal wear for those tires.
I plan to replace with the Super Sports when I get to 5K miles. At least they say you can get about 30K miles street use with them.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
This article will explain why the outsides wear away. It’s actually something that is supposed to happen and is planned.

https://motoiq.com/not-all-michelin-cup-2-tires-are-created-the-same/

Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
I have a 2019 I just bought new, with the SC2's. Everything I've read says you can expect to get about 5,000 miles normal street use. So it seems you got the normal wear for those tires.
I plan to replace with the Super Sports when I get to 5K miles. At least they say you can get about 30K miles street use with them.
I’m at 15,000 and I have the softer compound Cup 2 tires. I’m still on my first set and only had to replace one tire because of a nail. You might want to read the piece above as well because I’m pretty sure, unless you were seeing the chords or unless you were below the thread minimum, you might have changed your tires prematurely.

Oh and the amazingly written piece that I posted is from Billy Johnson, Ford test driver who helped develop our cars.

Last edited:

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I’m at 15,000 and I have the softer compound Cup 2 tires. I’m still on my first set and only had to replace one tire because of nail. You might want to read the piece above as well because I’m pretty sure, unless you were seeing the chords or unless you were below the thread minimum, you might have changed your tires prematurely.

Oh and the amazingly written piece that I posted is from Billy Johnson, Ford test driver who helped develop our cars.
Haven't changed anything yet, as I'm only at about 700 miles. But I'm keeping the 5K mile as a guideline. Of course I'm hoping for more, as you got.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Haven't changed anything yet, as I'm only at about 700 miles. But I'm keeping the 5K mile as a guideline. Of course I'm hoping for more, as you got.
my mistake. Thought you had already changed tires. Your Cup 2 tires are a harder compound than the R Cup 2 compound with a focus on shedding water and heat cycles, so you should be able to get more mileage out of them than I have.

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I did Track Attack this week and noticed the cars had a pretty good negative camber in the rear. I Also noticed the tires were not the same as my ‘19. The ride a long told me my Sport Cup 2’s are not needed for me.
Whatever they were using had incredible grip.
Sponsored