Not open for further replies.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I can't wait until 30 years from now when I've got my Bullitt at a car show and the dad's bring their kids over to hear what a muscle car sounded like "back in the day".

Prediction right now: These types of cars (V8, manual, awesome exhaust) will be collector cars one day when we're all in autonomous electric vehicles and people yearn for the tactile & aural enjoyment that comes with them.
I think your prediction is right on the money. I remember when I was before my driving age 10yrs ago (I'm from Czech, when driving age is 18), and then moving to US, I knew manuals will be tough to get, despite me never owning anything but those and that electric will come soon-ish, probably.

I don't ever intend to get rid of my Bullitt, and yes, I think the look + V8 + exhaust are some of the main things that will be remembered and showcased. I just hope premium gas in a few years' time won't get so expensive that I won't be able to daily my Bullitt.

I think it's also going to take a while to convert US and whole world's fleet from ICEs, so gas/alternative fuels hopefully will be around for a while.

Sad thing is, I think they like the way they look...
See, that's the thing. I understand why people buy them. I get it. Whether it's a thing now to buy, or it's a perceived/real practicality, safety, whatever, I get it. What is kind of funny is when a ginormous SUVs get slapped on some red lines or dark chrome badgets for the "sport package," but the car feels like you're driving around an armoire.
Granted, I've never driven X5 M or Mercedes AMGs or anything like that, but those "sporty SUVs" from mainstream affordable brands wanting to be sport cars is laughable.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
After hearing GM will stop producing gas engines and diesels by 2035 and NISSAN will do likewise by 2030 , the next gen Mustang may very well be produced only as an EV.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Thank you @amk91 I've been waiting for you to post :)

At least Autoblog are questioning Auto Forecast Solutions and asking why they're ignoring S650/23MY
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/21/electric-ford-mustang-2028-rumor/

I agree it's a shame S650 won't be all new, but I'm still looking forward to it immensely.

I also really hope Ford reconsiders S750 being pure EV. Even here in the UK, we'll still be able to by hybrid (ICE + electric assist) if our ban (not yet passed in legislation) on pure ICE vehicles becomes law in 2030. I'd rather an EV Mustang was sold alongside the ICE engined variants but, I guess ironically, that would require even more compromises for S750.

The Mustang faithful managed to change Ford's mind back in the late 80's when they were going to replace the Fox with a front wheel drive "Mustang" based on a Mazda. Letters were sent en-masse to Ford HQ and they listened!

We were not successful in getting them to rename the Mach E as something other than a Mustang, despite the many thousands of upset Mustang owners putting their opinions on forums like this.

I know pure EV is the future, whether we like it or not, but in terms of our beloved Mustang I'd like us to be able to have at least the V8 option available to us for as long as possible.

I'll find a pen and paper and write to Mr Farley, C/O Ford HQ :wink:
Yeah, it's unfortunate LOL it won't be all new. I just feel like it's deja vu with the S650 and 1994 Mustang. Supposed to be an all-new car, but gets reused for billionth time, because Ford only will commit to BEV Mustang coupe and not an all-new ICE car.

Speaking of the Mazda story, I forgot I had these from 8 years ago:

The All-New 1986 Mustang (called SN8)

1982-SN8-Mustang-convertible-sketches_zps410c7dfa.jpg

1982-SN8-Mustang-model-profile-right_zps12cb153a.jpg

1982-SN8-Mustang-model-front-right_zps15efb6b0.jpg
1982-SN8-Mustang-model-rear-left_zpsb7a78989.jpg

1982-SN8-Mustang-GT-model-front-right_zps34ce013e.jpg

1983-SN8-Mustang-running-prototype-rear-left_zpsd703b7d0.jpg
1983-SN8-Mustang-running-prototype-interior-left_zps851c961e.jpg

This was original proposal for the Fox body replacement. The 1983 refresh came out parallel to this prototype from October 6, 1982, November 1982, and January 20, 1983 running unit, with interior.

Cuz of delays, it became an '88 model and was redesigned as ST16 for 1988 MY, based on these December 1983 and early 1984 photos. The 1987 refresh was meant to align the Fox body with Ford's new Aero look and give it some 3 years before discontinuation in 1989. As we know, the Mustang stayed as-is thru 1993 and Probe was trademarked in mid-1987 after the outcries, debuting in May 1988 as an '89.

Ford tried again 2 more times to make a FWD Mustang, as SN95 was meant as of 1993 to last through 1998 and be based on the Contour/Mondeo by 1999. Even in 1989, before SN95 arrived, they gave it thought for SN95 itself before doing Fox-4.
1983-ST16-Mustang-sketch-front-left_zpsbc18d87a.jpg

1983-ST16-Mustang-sketch-rear-left_zpscad7f941.jpg
1983-ST16-Mustang-interior-sketches_zps81710c80.jpg
1984-ST16-Mustang-full-size-clay-model_zpsc7d02ffc.jpg
1984-ST16-Mustang-full-size-clay-model-rear-left_zps24049652.jpg
Oh, and to put to bed the rumors we might not get S650 next year, perhaps the odd heavily camo'd prototype prowling the streets might help :crackup:
Oh yeah, that's a mule for the HEV Mustang. Still trying unearth Job #1, as that's now fall 2022 instead of spring 2022 due to COVID-19. Either will Ford will play the Bronco/Ranger game with testers or we'll see them as soon as they are ready.

I remember hearing after the final-final design freeze of S550 at end of November 2012, they built the first prototypes in May 2013. On June 8, 2013, we got our first shots of them testing. Similar happened for 2021 F-150, which was first built on April 19, 2019, then appeared in spy shots in early May 2019.

I don't know Ford's S650 prototype schedule, but yes they are running mules at this point. IDK if they'll play it close to vest this time around, unlike with S550 and P702 aka 2021 F-150.

All-new P552 (last generation F-150), was designed about 1 and half years before the first spy shots of it appeared on the same photo set as the S550 in June 2013. Ditto for Bronco (designed 2018) and upcoming new Ranger (designed 2019) I hear.

I have suspected for years that the S650 will be more of a mid production refresh than a complete redesign. The 2023 mustang will be kind of like the difference between a Fox Mustang and the SN95, where the SN95 was "new", but it was basically still a Fox mustang, I believe they called it Fox-4.
The real next big generation Mustang change like what we saw with S197 to S550 I believe will be 2028.
This is good and echoes what I and many of us believe, but the S197 to S550 portion is really, really wrong LOL. S550 was not a clean sheet car at all. S197 was an all-new car compared to SN95. S550 is nothing but a less retro, uber elegant and refined S197 with IRS and newer powertrains+transmissions.

S650 is more of the same is my annoyance, but to a lesser degree. Somewhere between 2009 to 2010 MY change on the low end and S197 II (2012.5 - 2014) to S550 on the high end.

S550 is a great car, but even in the 2012 design clinics for it, I could already tell it was going to have carryover aspects based on a participant predicting it. He was ultimately right.

I know I've never heard the term 'tophat' before. What does it mean/what does it include?

Devil's advocate . . . isn't evolution a less expensive path than revolution? And less likely to alienate existing customers?

Norm
You misread my context. I didn't tell them to reinvent the wheel S197 was a worthwhile redesign, even if it lost the IRS. Creating a new platform basis via modularity with well-designed, new global RWD unibody architecture is what sufficed. Every single time Ford has need to do this over the last 3 decades, they chicken out and rehash the same BS or neuter it like they did D2C.

DEW98 was supposed to be for the 2005 Mustang in addition to Jaguar and Lincoln, but it was dumbed down into D2C. That same D2C has never been fully been replaced, until Mark Fields made an attempt at it 5 years ago. Due to cost and falling stock price, his replacement in Hackett jettisoned a CD6 Mustang for 2021 and pushed back anything 2 years.

GM might sell less Camaros than the S550, but it is a great performer, because the underlying Alpha basis is throughly 2010s in origin and has no lasting roots from the GWBush era.

How much do some older aspects of the S550 hold it back technically, is my question? I expected for one last time, Ford to fully redesign the Mustang on a newer basis, still as ICE, N/A V8, 2dr, unibody, IRS, RWD before abandoning that formula in favor an EV only powertrain.

Ok. The next generation Mustang will use the Explorer platform. My question is why do this. Just make a 2 door coupe based on the Mach e. I think the answer is that the next generation Mustang will not be all electric. It will continue with ICE, as well as a hybrid, AWD, and BEV models. I don't expect all BEVs until at least 2035 and that date could change.
The next generation Mustang (S650) will not use CD6 and I don't think CD6 will make sense beyond 2026 for Gen 8. CD6 was introduced in summer 2019, that it will be old news by 2028-2029.

I don't think GE1 is compatible with a 2dr coupe, but who knows LOL. I think GE1 was heavily modified from C2, because of how it went from a compliance EV to Mustang family aspirational product. RWDified C2 aka GE1 =/= Mustang coupe.

I definitely like those last 3 sentences of yours. Ford isn't in formal development of the Gen 8 Mustang, but their advanced engineering division is already studying the plan. Usually they handle pre-development research and that recent EVStang concept, might be one of their studies.

Was going to post that I read the news recently too, seems somewhat strange that they'd run the same generation (despite a refresh) for another 7 years. But, I guess Dodge's been doing it and they do alright.

I am sad to see that manual transmissions will soon be thing of the past. Never planned on selling my Bullitt, won't ever now I think.

Future is coming, but I'm curious to see if battery production and charger network is going to be able to sustain growth in EV and if it gets more enviro friendly (yes, I know my V8 isn't much better).
Yeah, I really don't buy that BS. S650 is already in development and will replace S550 in less than 2 years. This is why a lot of automotive media pisses me off, as they lose the blanks in between and leave us to clean up their sloppy reporting.

Sure, Ford is planning something big after 2028, but does that negate they are already doing a 2023 S650, as has been mentioned? Nope, but of course many obtuse journos, will state BS to get a headline.

Ever since Mark Fields left in 2017, it has been slowly known his replacement vetoed a fully new CD6 car and instead opted to heavily revise the car instead on it's existing basis, plus hybrid and maybe AWD. You cannot call the S650 another 7 years of S550, as S550 is basically a reskinned S197 itself in some ways. Is S550 16 years old then as of 2021MY going by that logic?

I really can't with some of what I read, as S197 to S550 in 2014, is not much different than S550 to S650 in 2022. SN95 to S197 in 2004 was the only real big change.

No......S650 will be an evolution of S550, still utilising an updated version of the current D2C platform. The development on all other CD6 vehicles (including the "original" S650) was cancelled after Explorer/Aviator. S650 then became a heavy refresh of the current D2C platform.

So, yes, the next generation (S650) in 2022 will continue with ICE engines, and likely a hybrid, despite what Auto Forecast Solutions have reported in the original post :)
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Yep, also ditched a bunch of CD6 models. Lincoln Zephyr was going to be RWD, so was Continental as a E-Class competitor after 2023, and 2021 Town Car replacement (Fields chauffeured vehicle), plus 1 or 2 more.

So sad.

I think that Kia is boring because it's a KUV, not because it's an EV/hybrid.

If she rolled up in one of these, those DEA agents would be creaming their pants.

s3-1574195742.jpg

For the record, I'm against EV's right now. Battery tech, the infrastructure, etc aren't there yet. I don't have any hang-ups about them being boring though. Unless they pipe fake engine noise into the cabin. That shit is unacceptable :crackup:
Well, if she'd roll up in that ride, she'd immediately be subject to investigation, because drug involvement would be the only way I could afford that.
Calling Skyler White!! :crackup:
Get your IC 5.0 now before it's too late. It'll end up being a great investment that you can enjoy in the moment. New IC engines will soon be banned and the older cars will be grandfathered in. Take care of them.

It'll happen sooner than 2028 unless Ford wants to be left in the dust. Get your IC 5.0 Coyote now before its too late. It'll end up being a great investment when IC engines are eventually banned. They'll be grandfathered in and explode in value. Having said that, we all know there's nothing like the sound and feel and smell of a naturally aspirated 5.0. Have you ever cold started a Tesla? point proven.

Also: Invest heavily in EV's, its our near future and it can't be stopped.

Related: Never use quiet mode, it's bad manners to do such a thing to the pony emblem.
IDK about that. I love V8s and the sound of good exhaust note, but living in a pretty affluent area (most households over $250k locally), it gets very tiring quickly to listen to people race or floor it along a scenic mountain parallel to my house.

I don't like hearing noise, that I can't see or identify, to the point it's a distraction and no longer a pleasure. Not a good thing when I hear this in my living room 24/7, because a few people are that self-centered.

Most of the time it's not even sexy Mustangs or pony/muscle cars, it's loud fart can cars, old 90s/00s trucks driven by workers, and brodozers barreling up and down that mountain road, disturbing residents.

Ford did great with that option, as I don't want to hear that in my living room or 3AM in my bedroom, because one drunk bro has no self-awareness. In my car, I do my best to not overdo it. Wish others would do the same, especially in residential areas.

1982-SN8-Mustang-GT-model-front-right_zps34ce013e.jpg

Last edited:

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Yeah, it's unfortunate LOL it won't be all new. I just feel like it's deja vu with the S650 and 1994 Mustang. Supposed to be an all-new car, but gets reused for billionth time, because Ford only will commit to BEV Mustang coupe and not an all-new ICE car.

Speaking of the Mazda story, I forgot I had these from 8 years ago:

Oh yeah, that's a mule for the HEV Mustang. Still trying unearth Job #1, as that's now fall 2022 instead of spring 2022 due to COVID-19. Either will Ford will play the Bronco/Ranger game with testers or we'll see them as soon as they are ready.

I remember hearing after the final-final design freeze of S550 at end of November 2012, they built the first prototypes in May 2013. On June 8, 2013, we got our first shots of them testing. Similar happened for 2021 F-150, which was first built on April 19, 2019, then appeared in spy shots in early May 2019.

I don't know Ford's S650 prototype schedule, but yes they are running mules at this point. IDK if they'll play it close to vest this time around, unlike with S550 and P702 aka 2021 F-150.

All-new P552 (last generation F-150), was designed about 1 and half years before the first spy shots of it appeared on the same photo set as the S550 in June 2013. Ditto for Bronco (designed 2018) and upcoming new Ranger (designed 2019) I hear.

This is good and echoes what I and many of us believe, but the S197 to S550 portion is really, really wrong LOL. S550 was not a clean sheet car at all. S197 was an all-new car compared to SN95. S550 is nothing but a less retro, uber elegant and refined S197 with IRS and newer powertrains+transmissions.

S650 is more of the same is my annoyance, but to a lesser degree. Somewhere between 2009 to 2010 MY change on the low end and S197 II (2012.5 - 2014) to S550 on the high end.

S550 is a great car, but even in the 2012 design clinics for it, I could already tell it was going to have carryover aspects based on a participant predicting it. He was ultimately right.

You misread my context. I didn't tell them to reinvent the wheel S197 was a worthwhile redesign, even if it lost the IRS. Creating a new platform basis via modularity with well-designed, new global RWD unibody architecture is what sufficed. Every single time Ford has need to do this over the last 3 decades, they chicken out and rehash the same BS or neuter it like they did D2C.

DEW98 was supposed to be for the Mustang in addition to Jaguar and Lincoln, but it was dumbed down into D2C. That same D2C has never been fully been replaced, until Mark Fields made an attempt at it. Due to cost and falling stock price, his replacement in Hackett jettisoned a CD6 Mustang.

GM might sell less Camaros than the S550, but it is a great performer, because the underlying Alpha basis is throughly 2010s in origin and has no lasting roots from the GWBush era.

How much do some older aspects of the S550 hold it back technically, is my question? I expected for one last time, Ford to fully redesign the Mustang on a newer basis, still as ICE, N/A V8, 2dr, unibody, IRS, RWD before abandoning that formula in favor an EV only powertrain.

The next generation Mustang (S650) will not use CD6 and I don't think CD6 will make sense beyond 2026 for Gen 8. CD6 was introduced in summer 2019, that it will be old news by 2028-2029.

I don't think GE1 is compatible with a 2dr coupe, but who knows LOL. I think GE1 was heavily modified from C2, because of how it went from a compliance EV to Mustang family aspirational product. RWDified C2 aka GE1 =/= Mustang coupe.

I definitely like those last 3 sentences of yours. Ford isn't in formal development of the Gen 8 Mustang, but their advanced engineering division is already studying the plan. Usually they handle pre-development research and that recent EVStang concept, might be one of their studies.

Yeah, I really don't buy that BS. S650 is already in development and will replace S550 in less than 2 years. This is why a lot of automotive media pisses me off, as they lose the blanks in between and leave us to clean up their sloppy reporting.

Sure, Ford is planning something big after 2028, but does that negate they are already doing a 2023 S650, as has been mentioned? Nope, but of course many obtuse journos, will state BS to get a headline.

Ever since Mark Fields left in 2017, it has been slowly known his replacement vetoed a fully new CD6 car and instead opted to heavily revise the car instead on it's existing basis, plus hybrid and maybe AWD. You cannot call the S650 another 7 years of S550, as S550 is basically a reskinned S197 itself in some ways. Is S550 16 years old then as of 2021MY going by that logic?

I really can't with some of what I read, as S197 to S550 in 2014, is not much different than S550 to S650 in 2022. SN95 to S197 in 2004 was the only real big change.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Yep, also ditched a bunch of CD6 models. Lincoln Zephyr was going to be RWD, so was Continental as a E-Class competitor after 2023, and 2021 Town Car replacement (Fields chauffeured vehicle), plus 1 or 2 more.

So sad.

Calling Skylar White!!

IDK about that. I love V8s and the sound of good exhaust note, but living in a pretty affluent area (most households over $250k locally), it gets very tiring quickly to listen to people race along a scenic mountain parallel to my house.
Damn dude, Reader's Digest for M6G :crackup:

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed lol.

I didn't read it all but felt like I needed to give him a Like just for the effort and not messing up the quotations
Right there with you. One of my comments was quoted, seems like only about a word or two really were relevant to what he replied, but I'm not about to sift through 10 quotes to address that. :D

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You misread my context.
Maybe you misread mine instead.

I didn't tell them to reinvent the wheel S197 was a worthwhile redesign, even if it lost the IRS. Creating a new platform basis via modularity with well-designed, new global RWD unibody architecture is what sufficed. Every single time Ford has need to do this over the last 3 decades, they chicken out and rehash the same BS or neuter it like they did D2C.
That'd be my question as well. So if the older aspects of the S550 aren't holding it back enough (technically) to justify a revolutionary redesign it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to do an extensive redesign. That leaves evolutionary changes.

I'm not sure how to read this in the context of your other question "How much do some older aspects of the S550 hold it back technically, is my question?". Either the S550 having roots in the 2000s isn't holding it back technically, or those older roots are. Which is it? If the old stuff is holding it back, how badly? Badly enough that a revolutionary new design would be enough better to justify the unavoidable price increase?

Norm

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'm hoping Ford can carve out a niche for an ICE Mustang Coupe beyond 2028. Even a hybrid / AWD. There would definitely be a market.
I'm with you but I'm not holding my breath. Even if they do I think we will have V6's and not a V8.

I hope I'm wrong!
I hope I'm wrong!
I hope I'm wrong!

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Electric cars have no soul. It’s like driving a self propelled vacuum cleaner with seats.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I agree 100%.
I don't buy into the argument that EV are "faster than ICE" either. Sure, that is fine. But driving is the experience. I like to row my own gears and hear the authentic engine rev. If someone else is capable of getting from A to B faster than me, not a problem for me. I will enjoy the trip.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.