Sponsored

Car shakes/stutters while engaging 1st gear

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Car has 25,750 miles or so. For the last 500 miles, it started this strange issue where if I dont hold the clutch a little longer (an extra second or so), it is shaking and stuttering. It does it more while on an incline. Is it the clutch or something else? I read a few other instances of clutch going out around 25-30k miles and also heard clutch in these cars are too soft and doesn’t tolerate the NVH. I m usually extremely gentle with the clutch, no riding it, always perfect or close to perfect rev match and never engage the clutch unless I m shifting it (so never engage it all the time in bumper to bumper etc).

That being said, I had an eagle talon with 145,000 miles on original clutch where the clutch went out and I know the symptoms of slipping clutch and this isnt that. This feels like something else is wrong and it worries me to take it to ford. Is there anyway i can diagnose it myself? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Clutch chatter the discs are glazed a bit may need a good hard drive with a few good launches. Do not slip it but launch hard a few times from higher rpms to put a little heat in the discs.

Its a similar issue as having your brakes glaze when driving to slowly you need to put heat in them or they start to squeak badly.

Last edited:

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
I read a few other instances of clutch going out around 25-30k miles and also heard clutch in these cars are too soft and doesn’t tolerate the NVH.
Where did you read about those things?

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Clutch chatter the discs are glazed a bit may need a good hard drive with a few good launches. Do not slip it but launch hard a few times from higher rpms to put a little heat in the discs.

Its a similar issue as having your brakes glaze when driving to slowly you need to put heat in them or they start to squeak badly.

Interesting, I will absolutely try this. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Huh, I’ve heard the opposite that the clutches are actually pretty robust. I don’t recall hearing anybody else having clutch issues. But, I agree with Offboost that it sounds like chatter. Hopefully it is just glazed and not going out already.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Huh, I’ve heard the opposite that the clutches are actually pretty robust. I don’t recall hearing anybody else having clutch issues. But, I agree with Offboost that it sounds like chatter. Hopefully it is just glazed and not going out already.
The clutch in the car is not a top quality one. On top of that, they apparently had to make it very soft due to NVH of the engine. That is what I know.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
The clutch in the car is not a top quality one. On top of that, they apparently had to make it very soft due to NVH of the engine. That is what I know.
That’s what I mean. People in my service department that I trust and a mechanic friend of mine (Ford Mechanic/private mechanic) that helps work on my car say the opposite. IIRC at Track Attack they said they were pretty stout as well.

A lot of cars are starting to get in your range of mileage so we’ll find out soon enough.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra

This is probably about as good advice as you will get for a possible solution. If it doesn't cure it you will probably have to eventually replace it.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Car has 25,750 miles or so. For the last 500 miles, it started this strange issue where if I dont hold the clutch a little longer (an extra second or so), it is shaking and stuttering. It does it more while on an incline. Is it the clutch or something else? I read a few other instances of clutch going out around 25-30k miles and also heard clutch in these cars are too soft and doesn’t tolerate the NVH. I m usually extremely gentle with the clutch, no riding it, always perfect or close to perfect rev match and never engage the clutch unless I m shifting it (so never engage it all the time in bumper to bumper etc).

That being said, I had an eagle talon with 145,000 miles on original clutch where the clutch went out and I know the symptoms of slipping clutch and this isnt that. This feels like something else is wrong and it worries me to take it to ford. Is there anyway i can diagnose it myself? Any help is appreciated.
Good post. I have just recently noticed a similar symptom in my car with the clutch slip/grab behavior changing somewhat from the way it was when new. It hasn't been occurring for a long enough time for me to form any theories as to why it's happening or whether I can do something to change it. My car has a similar number of miles as yours does. I don't believe I'm exceptionally hard on clutches, but I have pushed this car on the track a few times.

Let us know what you do and the result.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've noticed that I need to make sure that revs are up when taking off. Trying to hold it at 1000 RPM just doesn't work. I usually bring the engine up to just under 1500 and start slipping normally. Sometimes I can get away with around 1300. Perfect smooth engagement. My Coyote was like that too.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've noticed that I need to make sure that revs are up when taking off. Trying to hold it at 1000 RPM just doesn't work. I usually bring the engine up to just under 1500 and start slipping normally. Sometimes I can get away with around 1300. Perfect smooth engagement. My Coyote was like that too.
What I was discussing was a change in the clutch's behavior, not an issue I'm having with driving the car. I'm not sure whether you understood that or not. I couldn't tell you what RPM I do anything at, other than it varies greatly depending on the situation.
Sponsored