Sponsored

Upgraded brakes?

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I'm sure this topic has been covered in some other thread by now, but I would have no idea where to look.

Does anyone know if there is any word yet on whether the brakes from the GT350R will be an available upgrade on the regular GT350? The brakes (and maybe the wheels at some point) are just about the only upgrade that I think will interest me from the 'R' since, if I buy it, I most likely plan on daily driving the car in addition to tracking it.

EDIT: I know I could at least upgrade aftermarket, but that tends to be a little iffy sometimes unless it's maybe a Ford Racing part or something. Otherwise, aftermarket brake upgrades can fudge with a lot of car control systems. Either way, I'd definitely prefer to buy them from the factory.
Sponsored

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Z/28
Aren't the brakes on the GT350 and GT350R the same unless you order the optional carbon ceramic front brakes on the R? The standard brakes on the 350 will be really good anyway. Why upgrade? You'll just need to change out the pads for track use, and upgrade the brake fluid. Serious tracking would benefit from improved ducting as well.

Doc Holliday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT500
If the order guide that was leaked is accurate (shown here http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15542), then the GT350R comes standard with CC brakes in the front. It doesn't show them as optional on either car. Some have questioned the validity of this, given it lists them for the front brakes only. Also, none of the show cars have appeared to have CC brakes. However, there are pictures of test mules out there with CC brakes on the front.

matrix243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor & Lightning
Most definitely can see it being an FRPP. Makes total sense to have it as a track only install, and switch back for the street.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Most definitely can see it being an FRPP. Makes total sense to have it as a track only install, and switch back for the street.
Huh, I would think there might be a brake balance issue trying to switch back and forth between two different front brake setups. Maybe with the right adjustable proportioning valve added into the system?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info, guys. Sounds like I'm just gonna have to wait until more final word from Ford to know for sure.

Aren't the brakes on the GT350 and GT350R the same unless you order the optional carbon ceramic front brakes on the R? The standard brakes on the 350 will be really good anyway. Why upgrade? You'll just need to change out the pads for track use, and upgrade the brake fluid. Serious tracking would benefit from improved ducting as well.
I live in TX and might run the car on Circuit of the Americas some times. I don't know how familiar you are with that track layout, but it is BRUTAL on brakes. And with a mega-powered, heavyweight like the GT350, that's going to be extra true.

The less I have to worry about brake fade, the better.

Also, isn't the ducting the same in both the GT350 and the GT350R? I thought they both used the same body panels.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
I'm sure this topic has been covered in some other thread by now, but I would have no idea where to look.

Does anyone know if there is any word yet on whether the brakes from the GT350R will be an available upgrade on the regular GT350? The brakes (and maybe the wheels at some point) are just about the only upgrade that I think will interest me from the 'R' since, if I buy it, I most likely plan on daily driving the car in addition to tracking it.

EDIT: I know I could at least upgrade aftermarket, but that tends to be a little iffy sometimes unless it's maybe a Ford Racing part or something. Otherwise, aftermarket brake upgrades can fudge with a lot of car control systems. Either way, I'd definitely prefer to buy them from the factory.

I think.... if you actually plan on entering into any events beyond an open track day... You actually would need to downgrade the brake package on the "R" to the steel brembos on the GT350.

Again this is sort of counter intuitive, unless rules change for many of these sanctioned events. But, I understand how the "R" is pushing the Mustang into the supercar territory and how the Carbon bits simply aid in the power to weight ratios. But, not necessarily makes it a track ready vehicle in the eyes of those race day sanctioning bodies. Technically a light weighted GT350 without the Magna-ride suspension would better qualify for many more of those sanctioned events. And would probably be cheaper than the "R" while performing just as well.

For the purposes of equipping the "R" with the best performance options they can without completely pricing it out of reach for the majority of their target demographic .... And of course putting a butt - hurt on a certain GM Pony car that also doesn't exactly qualify for most sanctioned events right out the showroom "as is". Its sort of a "tit" for "tat" move where they can call check -mate until Chevy comes back with their next gen car.

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Z/28
Also, isn't the ducting the same in both the GT350 and the GT350R? I thought they both used the same body panels.
Factory ducting is inadequate for any car that will be heavily tracked.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Sponsored

sunburned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 WK2
Why do you think it'd be any different installing a Ford Racing brake kit on a car that wasn't designed for it?

Brakes on the 350 and the R are supposedly the same. Ford didn't reveal any info that says otherwise. And they certainly didn't say anything about carbon brakes. I see no reason why Ford would hide the fact that their halo mustang is coming out with CC brakes.

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do you think it'd be any different installing a Ford Racing brake kit on a car that wasn't designed for it?

Brakes on the 350 and the R are supposedly the same. Ford didn't reveal any info that says otherwise. And they certainly didn't say anything about carbon brakes. I see no reason why Ford would hide the fact that their halo mustang is coming out with CC brakes.
Well if it was OEM, I would presume that there would be Ford factory designed and tested tunes/upgrades available for all parts, including software to tune the vehicle dynamics and ABS systems for the increased braking power.

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ To add to that, though, like I said, it's still definitely preferred to get a factory upgrade. Brakes are not something I want to mess with.

Also, I could swear on anything I read that the GT350R had upgraded brakes (thought I read about CC brakes, too), but I can't seem to find any info now, so hopefully you guys are right, and the default brakes are all I need, especially if no factory upgrades are even available.

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
^^^ To add to that, though, like I said, it's still definitely preferred to get a factory upgrade. Brakes are not something I want to mess with.

Also, I could swear on anything I read that the GT350R had upgraded brakes (thought I read about CC brakes, too), but I can't seem to find any info now, so hopefully you guys are right, and the default brakes are all I need, especially if no factory upgrades are even available.

It's a bit confusing. Ford hasn't said anything about CC brakes, but the "leaked" order guide shows standard front CC for the R

Just have to wait and see :shrug:
Sponsored